Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 06:36 PM

148 posts, read 556,925 times

Advertisements

Hi, Wondering if anyone can tell me about Port Jeff and Port Jeff Station. We are looking to move to that general area and have been focusing in Rocky Point. No luck so far so we are expanding our area. Setauket seems a little more expensive for something decent so I was wondering if the PJs have better or worse schools than Rocky Point or Miller Place. Seems more affordable which makes me nervous! Any info is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 PM

240 posts, read 1,057,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
Hi, Wondering if anyone can tell me about Port Jeff and Port Jeff Station. We are looking to move to that general area and have been focusing in Rocky Point. No luck so far so we are expanding our area. Setauket seems a little more expensive for something decent so I was wondering if the PJs have better or worse schools than Rocky Point or Miller Place. Seems more affordable which makes me nervous! Any info is appreciated.
Port Jefferson School District is supposed to be awesome with amazingly small class sizes and great programs which is why I would say that Port Jefferson is better than Rocky Point and Miller Place. From what I hear from various teachers and students, Comsewogue is not as great as Rocky Point and Miller Place. I'm not a big fan of Port Jefferson Station as a whole.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:56 AM

630 posts, read 1,874,394 times
Grew up in Port Jefferson,school system (Scraggy Hill Elementary and E L Vandermuelen H S) is very good,home prices are relatively high,but taxes are very reasonable,a little touristy in summer,but downtown is a nice area to walk around,it comes highly recomended.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
I have in-laws in PJ schools and they love it. They live in PJV and are happy as clams. As far as RE prices in the areas of PJ that go to PJ schools, I don't believe you are going to see much of difference between those or Setauket prices.

A member of another board i am involved on recently relocated from PJS (Comsewogue) to Stony Brook because of problems within her neighborhood (multiple family illegal dwellings -- think in terms of day laborer housing) and problems starting in the schools.

Old 01-20-2008, 04:47 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
Port Jeff Village, that's where I would move & as soon as you see it, you will too.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:12 PM

21 posts, read 89,308 times
I was born and raised in Rocky Point and really love the area personally. I attended Joseph A. Edgar and Rocky Point High School and the education there is top notch. Then again, I believe the education along the entire north shore is all good. It seems to get progressively better as you head west, but Shoreham/Wading River also had very good schools when I was living there.

Keep in mind, that was about 10-15 years ago.

I have not been back to the area in a few years. My wife and I moved from Long Island because the cost of housing and living was becoming so high, but never because we didn't enjoy life on Long Island.

Port Jefferson is an amazing town. As a child, I have fond memories of walking around down town in the "square". Getting some chocolate at the Frigate, clam chowder in a bread bowl from the little restaurant next to the Frigate, and then walking across the street to the "Irish" store, Yuppy Puppy pet store and the Christmas Tree Shop. It's just such a great quaint little town, especially in the winter.

Setauket, Miller Place, Three Village and Stony Brook are also great surrounding areas. But I always found Rocky Point to be more affordable. That might have changed since I moved away.

I would definitely recommend Shoreham as well though. Back when I was living there, the only drawback to Shoreham was the "power plant" there. But I joined the Navy shortly after leaving the area and spent the next 5 years on a nuclear submarine, so I learned more about how safe a nuclear reactor really is than most people know and it almost seems comical now that people were frightened of it.

The rolling hills on the Long Island Sound coastline of Shoreham is awesome really, as far east as Baiting Hollow has outstanding rolling hills. I believe that is where the Glacier stopped way back when, creating the hilly northern coast. It makes for some great driving on a lazy Sunday.

If the cost of homes is a little high in Port Jefferson and areas to the west, then I would recommend heading to Shoreham/Wading River and then east of there. Things (at least back when I was living there) seemed to get progressively cheaper as you headed east. I wouldn't go further than Baiting Hollow though, as you begin to get into the Riverhead area and that was never a good spot when I lived there.

Anyway I hope that helps at least a little.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 AM

10 posts, read 45,804 times
I grew up in Miller Place, located between Port Jefferson and Rocky Point, the locals have done everything possible to ensure a constant increase in property values. The homes and the area are absolutely beautiful and anything north of Rt. 25A. The school systems are considered very good and have been nationally ranked for the past 25 years. However consider that the entire area - from Port Jefferson through Mt. Sinai through Miller Place are considered very posh and competitive.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:06 AM

10 posts, read 43,911 times
I'm not a big fan of Pt Jeff Station, there are parts that are very sketchy. Pt Jeff Village is lovely but expensive, my sister-in-law (a teacher) is looking to move her family there, and did a lot of research on their school district recently and said it's top notch. I think you get more for your money in Miller Place, and I know the schools are excellent because my husband went to high school there and my brother-in-law teaches at MPHS now. I would love to move there eventually. There are good parts of Rocky Point but I think Miller Place has a reputation for being a bit nicer overall. As far as MP being more affordable, don't be scared off by that. I grew up in East Northport, which is IMO comparable to MP in terms of schools and the overall niceness of the area, but since it's closer to Manhattan, it's way more expensive.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:44 PM

718 posts, read 2,973,215 times
Here is how I would rank the areas (I grew up in Mount Sinai went to EL Vandermuelen High school)

1. Port Jeff
2. Mount Sinai
3. Miller Place
4. Rocky Point
5. Port Jeff Station

This is taking into account schools and area. We have moved away from the area, but if I was looking now Port Jeff Station would not even be on my list. The others would be.

Old 01-21-2008, 12:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
What makes Port Jeff station bad? My sister in law lives there and it seems like a fine area. She lives right on the border of Selden.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island