Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 PM

23 posts, read 51,566 times

Advertisements

I know this topic has been discussed many times but...

Just want to finally say goodbye to Long Island! My family and I have finally decided to make our move to NC...we will be moving in 3 months! It is sad to say we have to leave the place my husband and I grew up...but long island leaves us no choice! After almost 5 years of trying to make it with a home...we realize...we will never make enough money to stay and retire here! And it's sad! Aside from the money...the quality of life on long island is dwindling...this is not the place I grew up...and will never be again! I want to give my son the childhood I had here, but that won't happen here! So we are moving on...for a better life and a chance at retirement! We are moving into a brand new home in NC that is much less than any money pit I could afford here!...I could never buy a new home here! And after years of putting tons of money into a 50 year old levitt ranch, I wouldn't do that again!

Yes, I will miss some of my family...and the FOOD!, but we will visit from time to time. But there is nothing left for us here...I hope that for the ones staying...things change for you here...I wish you luck!

See Ya'll in NC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 08:39 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstriplem View Post
I know this topic has been discussed many times but...

Just want to finally say goodbye to Long Island! My family and I have finally decided to make our move to NC...we will be moving in 3 months! It is sad to say we have to leave the place my husband and I grew up...but long island leaves us no choice! After almost 5 years of trying to make it with a home...we realize...we will never make enough money to stay and retire here! And it's sad! Aside from the money...the quality of life on long island is dwindling...this is not the place I grew up...and will never be again! I want to give my son the childhood I had here, but that won't happen here! So we are moving on...for a better life and a chance at retirement! We are moving into a brand new home in NC that is much less than any money pit I could afford here!...I could never buy a new home here! And after years of putting tons of money into a 50 year old levitt ranch, I wouldn't do that again!

Yes, I will miss some of my family...and the FOOD!, but we will visit from time to time. But there is nothing left for us here...I hope that for the ones staying...things change for you here...I wish you luck!

See Ya'll in NC!
Good luck to you and I wish you all the best.

Pay no attention to people like the previous poster who, instead of wishing you the best, will blast you for making what you feel is the best decision for yourself and your family. LI is not a closed society where you have to ask permission to leave. Misery loves company and those people who criticize you for wanting a better life would like you to stay and join them in their misery. There are lots of NY transplants living happily in NC and although it is only natural that you will miss friends and family left behind you can always visit often and refresh old memories. I don't find your post arrogant or rude.

Old 02-28-2008, 08:56 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
I'll admit, I may have come off a bit harsh. But why do there need to be threads on the NEW YORK forum made just to say "I'm finally leaving and where i'm going is a lot better".

Old 02-28-2008, 10:21 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
I do wish you the best of luck, bt when you say declining quality of life here what exactly do you mean by that. Is it strictly a declining quality of life because of financial issues? or is it something else? because if you think your going to find better schools, or lower crime in NC (or elsewhere quite frankly) your sadly mistaken.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,874,805 times
I cannot speak for the OP but I have lived in SC for almost two years now. I think that the taxes, cost of living, congestion and attitude of many LI residents are what caused my decreased quality of life. I also do not miss the winter weather! I do miss the boardwalk in Long Beach & the variety of food that was available but for the most part it was the right decision for me & my family. We were working our tails off to live paycheck to paycheck and couldn't enjoy many of the things that NY had to offer.

As soon as we sell our house (uugghh!) we will be able to save some money & come up to NY for a visit. Then we will be able to enjoy a Broadway play or other things that were virtually unattainable while paying $13k a year in taxes. Spirit Air runs some great sales with flights as low as $8 into LGA, we have been able to do a couple of overnight trips.

If you do your research you can find a wonderful area down here that has good schools, low crime and is conveniently located to shopping & entertainment. It may become the LI of the future but I applaud anyone who feels the need to for a change & takes the leap.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:40 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
II hope that for the ones staying...things change for you here...I wish you luck!

See Ya'll in NC!
I saw this movie once with Bill Murray called Groundhog's day....this thread reminds me of that,wonder why? Having said that...

No thanks, not all of us are unhappy with the way it is here. Many of us can afford it, many of us have a great quality of life. Apparently you didn't but don't go assuming we are all in the sorry state that you were with LI. Why do you suggest that, if you are not meaning to be inflammatory? I can assure you, having visited, 3 days was plenty for me. I wouldn't buy a home there ever. I will take my high property value home over cheap dime a dozen new housing anyday.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 02-29-2008 at 05:01 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 05:49 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Aside from the money...the quality of life on long island is dwindling...this is not the place I grew up...and will never be again! I want to give my son the childhood I had here, but that won't happen here!
You're right, LI is not the same place you grew up in. It's not the place my parents moved to, I grew up in or even the same place it was when I finally left. The Island is a moving target and is bound to disappoint many when their Island moves on, but it then becomes the place to be for others. It's just the nature of the place.

Good luck with your move, just don't leave bitter.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:08 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Default No, yes, no.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
"Good luck in NC...I hope you get to enjoy it for a little while before it turns into another LI."......

"But I have to say its pretty rude, arrogant, and ignorant to post a "haha peace out and good riddance" thread on the LI forum"....

"Especially since you're just following the herd to NC."
There is no area in North Carolina that will turn into the current Long Island (west of Riverhead). The economic drivers are simply not present anywhere and the geographic limitations don't exist.

And it is rude to post a "see ya, wouldn't want to be ya" thread. I left and while I'm happy with my decision I continue to miss the many, many good points about living on Long Island.

As for the herd comment, I doubt you or your family (whomever was first to purchase a home on Long Island) did so as a trailblazer when the place was mostly farm land. Long Island became what it is today because the masses from New York City moved east in herd-like fashion. So unless you're someone whose family roots trace back to the 1800's I'd lay off that angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
"Thumbs up, ITA....And the OP is the one who needs luck (not us here with our proximity to Manhattan and our amazing property values) "
The amazing property values are only amazing based on when you purchased it. I doubt those people who bought into the market since 2002 are feeling the market-value love these days. The two houses I've sold on Long Island since 2002 are now worth at least 10% less then what I sold them for so Id doubt their current owners share in your opinion.

Oh and as far as the proximity to Manhattan thing goes it's only a plus if you take advantage of it. We almost never did and while I often listed it as a perk of Long Island living it's sort of a weak point. I'm more likely to plan a weekend trip into the City now that I can afford it since relocating away from the area.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:12 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
The amazing property values are only amazing based on when you purchased it. I doubt those people who bought into the market since 2002 are feeling the market-value love these days. The two houses I've sold on Long Island since 2002 are now worth at least 10% less then what I sold them for so Id doubt their current owners share in your opinion.

I bought in 03 so I am speaking for myself about my high property values and never having to worry WHO would want my home if I need to get out.

Old 02-29-2008, 06:20 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Note to self: Send Glad2BHere a FYIGM bumper sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island