Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 07:04 AM

231 posts, read 960,383 times

Advertisements

I've seen some houses I like in Plainview. Some of them fall in the Bethpage SD - while others fall in the Plainview-Old Bethpage SD. Is there any real difference between the two school districts? Is one considered better?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 11:05 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Plainview

For those who may not be familiar with Plainview:

Plainview is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-east part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the east part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Plainview in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Woodbury; on the east by the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County (the Oyster Bay/Huntington town line and the Nassau/Suffolk county line); on the south by the Hamlet of Old Bethpage and the Hamlet of Bethpage; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Hicksville.

The Hamlet of Plainview has a different border than does the "Plainview, NY 11803" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Plainview and a place can be in the Hamlet of Plainview and have other than a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address): places with a "Plainview, NY 11803" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Plainview are in the Hamlet of Woodbury; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Plainview that have a "Old Bethpage, NY 11804" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 8,936 times
Plainview Old Bethpage is a more affluent community, and the district's test scores are slightly higher. I graduated from Bethpage schools, and I remember some of my classmates commenting that they were happy they did not go to POB schools because there was not as much compitition (i.e. who has the best clothes, car, shoes, etc.) Before you decide to move to plainview go to shoprite or John's Farms (on old country road) on a late weekday afternoon. You'll get a real sense of the 'community'. Hope that helps!!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM

138 posts, read 491,825 times
'community'

is that a loaded word, in this instance

John's Farms is great, by the way. Shoprite ain't bad either.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Let's not forget Fairway

Old 06-29-2009, 11:21 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Plainview/ Old Bethpage is a bit more affluent and generally considered a little better as it does have higher test scores, graduation rates, etc. However, Bethpage is a very good district as well and does have lower school taxes.

Old 06-30-2009, 05:26 AM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Before you decide to move to plainview go to shoprite or John's Farms (on old country road) on a late weekday afternoon. You'll get a real sense of the 'community'. Hope that helps!![/quote]

Wow-do they have specials for members of the "community" on Weds??

I would not judge the towns by 2 supermarkets-I don't like to shop there b/c I find them crowded and there are a lot of elderly people pushing their way through and usually not with a smile- that does not reflect my experiences with the town which seems very family oriented to me. My sister and brother in law have lots of young friends with kids.

I live in Melville-5 minutes away-and my sister is in Plainview. We have lots of friends in the Plainview-OB schools and they are happy for the most part.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 AM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Quote:
Before you decide to move to plainview go to shoprite or John's Farms (on old country road) on a late weekday afternoon. You'll get a real sense of the 'community'. Hope that helps!!

I grew up in Bethpage as well, and also graduated from Bethpage Schools.

As for Johns Farms or Shoprite, the only reason I myself do not go to these places is just as AMYLA stated...The parking lot is nuts and some people can be a little pushy. There is not one bad area of Bethpage or Plainview.

Both of those districts are great districts. I myself would love to move back into Bethpage Schools. My mom works in the administration building and has mentioned to me numerous times that Bethpage grades and test scores have picked up a lot since I graduated in the early 1990's.

Whichever district you go with, is a great school district. Nothing to worry about in either of those areas. I believe in Plainview (not sure about Bethpage), all the kids are taken to school by bus regardless of how close in proximity you live to the schools.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:58 AM

103 posts, read 377,680 times
We just recently moved to Old Bethpage. We don't have kids, so I don't have any first hand experience with the school district. However, everyone we have met so far has said that the schools are great. In fact, that's usually the first thing people tell us when we tell them we're new to the area. On paper they look pretty good, too.

If you want to get a good snapshot of the community, a more logical approach to the one suggested would be to stop by a local park on a weekend. There's a lot to choose from in the POB area.....the park on Washington Ave in Planiview is pretty nice.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:12 AM

248 posts, read 872,956 times
We just moved to Plainview a year ago and are right on the border of both districts...I've heard both are great, since my neighbors reflect both districts..we are, however, in POB, and happy about it..we have a friend who works in the district that we consulted the whole process, so I am confident with our decision...as for the supermarkets..you can't know that all of the people there live here...I am friendly when I go anywhere, but of course have had altercations, but I lived in Queens and the same thing can happen anywhere...welcome to the neighborhood, soon, I hope!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island