Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2006, 08:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22
Sadly 'the powers that be' do not care. They refuse to build affordable mulifamily apartments in GOOD areas.
That is so true! Here in Nassau County, the only affordable new complexes being built are strictly for senior citizens (over 55). They have everything such as clubhouses, pools, etc., and the maintenance is kept low by law (try $100 or less a month) and the prices are controlled so when they are sold the current owners cannot jack up the prices. Plus, needless to say, they are NOT in the ghetto with bad schools, they are conveniently located in good neighborhoods.

Meanwhile, the senior citizens on LI are the ones with the $$$$. They paid off their mortgages years ago and cash in bigtime (cha-ching!!!!) on the current housing market.

But in Nassau County, affordable housing is for them. Young families can drop dead!

Nassau County is shortsighted and killing the golden goose because once the people who PRODUCE in our community ... those that work and pay taxes ... are gone who is going to support all the services for the senior crowd?

It's kind of like China's shortsighted "one child only" policy. Everyone wanted sons, so they either killed or aborted girls. Now there are plenty of sons, but not many daughters for them to marry.

Everyone in Nassau wants seniors to have it easy at the expense of young taxpayers. Anything for young families that has been proposed has been NIMBY'ed out of existence so far. When there are no young taxpayers ... then what will become of Nassau County? Detroit? Gary, Indiana?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2006, 10:10 AM

23 posts, read 62,192 times
Default way too much

i live in new hyde park and people constantly knock down the house they buy for $450-$550 and then build a brand new house bigger than the first. How much money do you have to have to do that??? Once again figure in astronomical taxes , and the fact that everyone, and i mean everyone, has at least one new car in the DW. Most of the people who bought at the height of the market went with ARM's and the crazy ones went with "Interest Only" loans. If the Interest rate should spike any time soon these people will be selling and taking a loss. The result will be what hapens everytime the market drops and interest rates rise. The neighborhhods turn over quickly and the kids get *****ed because they lose school/friends while the parents do damage control to their assets. You really have to look at ALL the monetary expense of living on LI and if you can afford it then more power to ya. Gas will be $5.00/gallon soon. Everyone seems to work 6-7 days a week here. You'll never find a block party anymore, and where the heck is Mr. Softee?

Old 08-02-2006, 07:38 AM

9 posts, read 34,169 times
Nickl28 I totally agree , Since I posted here I about my house up for sale (299900) I`ve got two offers. Guess where I`m going NORTH CAROLINA!! Instead of complaining about something , do something about it. I`m actually one of those who bought my house years ago and HAVE TO LEAVE because its to expensive. I thought about this for years and its finally happening

Old 08-02-2006, 08:19 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Good luck selling your house, Marie. You sound like a wise person. I am sure many people would be very happy here on Long Island.

I just think you need a certain amount of money to live here, and unless you do, it's not viable.

Old 08-07-2006, 06:38 PM

29 posts, read 88,462 times
Default Thought Of Moving Off The Island But........

Hello All Im The Father Of 2 Small Girls And Want Them To Grow Up Here(smithtown)i Thought Of Moving To Flordia And Starting A New Life But Something In Me Says It Was The Wrong Move,true I Could Sell My House Here For A Nice Profit And Buy One There Outright But I Have To Think About My Girls Future......i Was Very Confused About It And I Think Its Just Best To Stay Here And Hopefully Make It!!what Do You Think....

Old 08-07-2006, 07:29 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headendtech
Hello All Im The Father Of 2 Small Girls And Want Them To Grow Up Here(smithtown)i Thought Of Moving To Flordia And Starting A New Life But Something In Me Says It Was The Wrong Move,true I Could Sell My House Here For A Nice Profit And Buy One There Outright But I Have To Think About My Girls Future......i Was Very Confused About It And I Think Its Just Best To Stay Here And Hopefully Make It!!what Do You Think....
Certain areas of Florida with the taxes and exorbinant homeowner's insurance are just as expensive as LI. Just remember the financial situation is only one part of the equation. Children need an extended family--are any family memebers especially grandparents in FL? How often could you afford to visit family in NY? Remember, when the kids are school age, you have to fly during vacation weeks, typically the most expensive time to fly. One way tickets of hundreds of dollars per seat are not uncommon, and will probably worsen if oil keeps going up. Schools are important, particularly if there are any special needs for either child. In this regard, Florida is lacking. Where you will live in FL, what is the job situation for you now, and your girls in the future?
I look at it as what is good for you at a certain time. Right now, NY is working for you. In the future things might change like other family members relocating, a job loss, or other such scenarios might make it be a better fit at that time

Old 08-07-2006, 08:01 PM

202 posts, read 539,192 times
Stay in NY for your childrens sake. I am NY native, as well as a teacher and moved down to Florida 2 years ago. Right now its great; weather, cheaper living but not cheap, and tons to do (for a 26 year old) BUT I do not have kids. I am working in a "A" school (one of the best in my area) and I wouldnt want my kids going here. When we decide to have kids we will be moving, probably back to LI. Stay where you are and get the best education for your kids. People dont value education down here the way they do in the North East. I know a lot of people who argue and say that "my child went to Fl. schools and graudated and blah blah blah" but as far as motivation and thinking outside the box, it just isnt here, its unreal what the children learn down here. I taught 4th grade for years in NY, when I came down here and taught a 5th grade class, they were way below my 4th in NY, and I had the average/slightly gifted kids.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:24 PM

Default thanks for the advice!!

i know its tempting to cash out but i have to think about my girls future and as for right now i think its on long island rather then fla!thx again!!!!it makes my descesion alot easier!!!!to stay!

Old 08-07-2006, 10:57 PM

15 posts, read 52,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headendtech
i know its tempting to cash out but i have to think about my girls future and as for right now i think its on long island rather then fla!thx again!!!!it makes my descesion alot easier!!!!to stay!
I totally agree about staying on Long Island for your children's education. You will never find the kind of education your kids would get on LI anywhere else. We moved almost exactly 1 year ago to Arizona because LI was getting very expensive (we have two school-aged kids) and we have our house up for sale and as soon as we sell we are moving back to NY the main reason being the schools. You get what you pay for. High taxes on LI? YES! But what do you get? Excellent schools, the best teachers since they are paid so well, and many programs that these other schools can't offer due to lower taxes. We had to make the decision on what was more important to us.....our children or a nice house.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:43 PM

Default I Know What You Mean

Yes...i Didnot Want The Samething To Happen To Me I,i Didint Want To Move And Then Come Back A Year After,im Better Off Sticking It Out Here And Hope For The Best!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island