Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2006, 08:15 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Then they should look at themselves and how they are presenting themselves to an employer and their interview skills. And if they are working a $15 an hour retail job, then whose fault is that??

And from what I have seen & heard from people especially in my industry it is the opposite -- it is very hard to find qualified people for most professional positions today with unemployment at around 4% and falling.

If you look at economic data in this area, you will see that these 'young students 18-24' have never had it better economically in the past 50 years. There are more opportunities than ever before.
Plus they are probably living rent free with their parents. Granted, it is different for different professions. There is still a sharp divide between those who are making it- Nassau Cty especially. I guess everyone else can just move to Suffolk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2006, 08:21 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
How would you know?? Don't make assumptions. What do you mean by low level service job?? A 'service job' paying $40,000 - $70,000 a year. If yes, then you are right, you won't survive well on that salary on Long Island, but most other jobs pay $100,000 or more.

How would I know? How does anyone know anything? Everyone on this board makes addumptions or else we couldn't converse, could we?

To me, a low level service job is 10-15/ hour, no benefits... no security, that sort of thing.
40-70K? If you are frugal you CAN live on it on the island. It's just at that point you might say, hey, upstate or PA or the south is looking good, b/c there I can own a home.

Old 12-09-2006, 03:45 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
$40-$70K is tight, but still livable on Long Island. And if you make good decisions and get into the right job then you can earn much more.

Long Island is not too expensive, it just requires a bit more effort, and rightfully so. If you lived within 70 miles of ANY major city, you're going to pay a bit more in time and/or money. When I say major city, I am not talking about St. Louis, etc. I'm talking Mack Daddy cities, and NYC is as Mack Daddy as they come. Well worth the effort.

Old 12-11-2006, 09:52 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,846,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
$40-$70K is tight, but still livable on Long Island. And if you make good decisions and get into the right job then you can earn much more.

Long Island is not too expensive, it just requires a bit more effort, and rightfully so. If you lived within 70 miles of ANY major city, you're going to pay a bit more in time and/or money. When I say major city, I am not talking about St. Louis, etc. I'm talking Mack Daddy cities, and NYC is as Mack Daddy as they come. Well worth the effort.
You make an excellent point.
Interestingly enough, on the NC board you do have people who want to make NY $, live in NY style communities, then bemoan the downside, which is the traffic.
We moved a bit further out from Raleigh to avoid the congestion.
I know, I know, Raleigh is not NY.
But, there is some congestion in the more "happening" parts of town, which is to be expected. We would have to live in the sticks & make next to no $ to avoid it.
Why do people think that "bucolic" & "cutting edge" go together? They just don't. Anywhere.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:29 PM

9 posts, read 32,019 times
Question Re: Thinking on moving to elmont, valley stream on long island.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie View Post
There are some starter homes on Long Island still. I just put my home on the market for 299,900 and my taxes are for a 2 family at 4900.00. This weekend I had a couple from Brooklyn and a couple from Queens come by. They are out there ,you just have to find them Your best bet is to look in Sundays Newsday. You can find your price range and then google that area.

Hi'
I'm from NYC, looking for a started house on long island under $300,000 with taxes that's not too crazy, and great high school district for my 14 year old daugter. Is anybody familiar with Valley stream and Elmont? Maybe ya can help me?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by nounedy; 12-26-2006 at 10:53 PM..

Old 12-27-2006, 07:02 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nounedy View Post
Hi'
I'm from NYC, looking for a started house on long island under $300,000 with taxes that's not too crazy, and great high school district for my 14 year old daugter. Is anybody familiar with Valley stream and Elmont? Maybe ya can help me?
Thanks in advance!
Elmont has a large Haitian and Jamaican population. Elmont High school is primarily black with decent test scores. Valley stream also is very mixed, and has 3 high schools North, Central and South. Of these 3, Central is the lowest rating.
In terms of a house for under $300,000, you won't find too many that don't need work. There are 2 coops in Valley stream: one in the Gibson area (southern Valley stream), and the other on Fernwood Drive off central ave. They are both garden style apartments, and you should be able to find one for well under $300,00 (I don't know what the maintenance charges are)

Old 12-28-2006, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Elmont has a large Haitian and Jamaican population. Elmont High school is primarily black with decent test scores. Valley stream also is very mixed, and has 3 high schools North, Central and South. Of these 3, Central is the lowest rating.
In terms of a house for under $300,000, you won't find too many that don't need work. There are 2 coops in Valley stream: one in the Gibson area (southern Valley stream), and the other on Fernwood Drive off central ave. They are both garden style apartments, and you should be able to find one for well under $300,00 (I don't know what the maintenance charges are)
Thanks, your replied was very helpful to me. One more thing please, do you have any idea about transportation from LI to manhattan? If so, how late is the trains and buses are running? I work in manhattan 5pm to 1am, I will need to ride the bus and train in case I don't want to drive in the city, and the parking cost is expensive in manhattan. Since my goal is to keep my job in the city and my daughter attends a great school without me pay for private schools. Of course comfortable monthly morgage payments. Any info will be helpful.

Old 12-28-2006, 11:12 AM

9 posts, read 12,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nounedy View Post
Thanks, your replied was very helpful to me. One more thing please, do you have any idea about transportation from LI to manhattan? If so, how late is the trains and buses are running? I work in manhattan 5pm to 1am, I will need to ride the bus and train in case I don't want to drive in the city, and the parking cost is expensive in manhattan. Since my goal is to keep my job in the city and my daughter attends a great school without me pay for private schools. Of course comfortable monthly morgage payments. Any info will be helpful.
I live in Elmont and I would just like to say that it is a very ethnically diverse communtiy. I think its a great environment. Transportation is great. We are relatively near two terminals (Hempstead and Jamaica) with access to the MTA buses and train stations (Jamaica) and the LIRR train (Hempstead/Jamaica) service that provide transportation to the city. On a good day, it should take 45 min. to get to the heart of the city. The prices aren't bad although the LIRR is more expensive than the regular train service but it does give you a more comfortable and sometimes faster ride.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:01 PM

6 posts, read 26,512 times
It is extremely hard to do well on Long Island if you are young and just starting out. As soon as I got married 8 years ago....house prices increased so muchmy husband and I were always a little short of getting a house. You should be sympathetic to different situations.

Old 12-29-2006, 02:24 AM

Question Is there any area in elmont/ valley stream that I need stay away from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesMonti View Post
I live in Elmont and I would just like to say that it is a very ethnically diverse communtiy. I think its a great environment. Transportation is great. We are relatively near two terminals (Hempstead and Jamaica) with access to the MTA buses and train stations (Jamaica) and the LIRR train (Hempstead/Jamaica) service that provide transportation to the city. On a good day, it should take 45 min. to get to the heart of the city. The prices aren't bad although the LIRR is more expensive than the regular train service but it does give you a more comfortable and sometimes faster ride.
End Quote..........

Thanks to all who have helped me with transportation and school districts so far. I went to Elmont today, (Dutch broadway & Appeal Ave) to see some houses. So far I like the enviroment, but not to sure if other area in Elmont will be nice and quiet like those area. I am currently shopping for homes with a broker who said elmont and valley stream will be good according to my need. Also I will be going to valley stream next week to see some homes. even though I'm not to familiar with those two area; I plan to buy my home in Elmont or valley stream. Need help on any particular streets I should stay away from: confused: In addition, if anyone know or see for sale by owner in those area please let me know? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to be a pain, but I really need help. Thanks again.

Last edited by nounedy; 12-29-2006 at 02:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island