Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:48 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapsbestfriend View Post
NO MATER what their color, or ethnic background is...just so you know every neighborhood has its quirks....just accept it, let go ouf your anger and walk proud to be living here.
I personally understand what John is concerned with. I believe he has no problem with simply "color" or "background". He does have a problem with ILLEGAL things that bring a community down and I don't think he should be ridiculed for that. Illegal issues are a huge concern for many Americans, not just John. He just happens to be very vocal about it, that's all.

And yes, every neighborhood has it's quirks, but illegal immigrants and rooming houses are more than just a "quirk". I would never buy (or even rent) in a neighborhood that is changing with an influx of illegal immigrants. I would choose elsewhere. Actually, we DID choose elsewhere when we looked there many years ago. We crossed it off our lists as we learned more about it. It just didn't fit the bill of what we were looking for in a town and where to invest our $. Not trying to insult where you live, to each is own but it certainly wasn't for us. We each have different standards of what we want/expect from our town.

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 06-26-2008 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,741 times
I think it is wonderful that so many people were able to come to this country, build a new life for themselves and their families, where they eagerly assimilated and became part of American culture. They did so legally, with respect for this country, and pride in themselves.

Illegals do not respect this country or it's laws when they maintain illegal US status and residencies, plain and simple. I do feel for the children that are brought here; however, I think it is a disgrace that the health care system and school system are used for people who do not pay taxes (by way of illegal US residency and/or illegal rentals).

There is a huge difference between racism and taking offense to pandering to illegals. People who came to this country by way of hard work and legal avenues should take offense to those who jump borders and violate our laws.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
I think it is wonderful that so many people were able to come to this country, build a new life for themselves and their families, where they eagerly assimilated and became part of American culture. They did so legally, with respect for this country, and pride in themselves.

Illegals do not respect this country or it's laws when they maintain illegal US status and residencies, plain and simple. I do feel for the children that are brought here; however, I think it is a disgrace that the health care system and school system are used for people who do not pay taxes (by way of illegal US residency and/or illegal rentals).

There is a huge difference between racism and taking offense to pandering to illegals. People who came to this country by way of hard work and legal avenues should take offense to those who jump borders and violate our laws.
This is a great post, I agree.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapsbestfriend View Post
WOW...I have been reading these boards for a few weeks, and now I feel its time to say what has been going through my mind...........John in Westbury....let me begin by sharing with you, that my family migrated here from Italy....I was born and raised on Breezy Hill, my grandparents were very well known, at one time my Dear Uncle, who really was my cousin, but we respected him as an Uncle, was the Mayor of Westbury....That is how PROUD I am to be still part of this community. Anyway....I need to butt in about the schools...I am parent, 100% italian, whose child is attending the Westbury Middle School..YEP...you read this correct, my child IS IN this WONDERFUL school district!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All you had in your head is such hatred for these illegals...these children in our distric did NOT ask to be born. Yes, you're correct about the illegal appartments, by the way, I am still on Breezy Hill, inherited my parents house, which my Grandfather built, and I have a LEGAL 2 family house, and I am proud of this village, of our Westbury Fire Dept, our recreation center, our Village board....and again..the district. They have gone above and beyond what any district has done for their children. The Middle school has WONDERFUL teachers who CARE for these kids, who go steps beyond than Carle Place, I know this for a fact!!!!!

I can go on and on, what you need is prayers that what ever your gripe is, it can be released, and maybe, just maybe, one day I can see your smiling face as I walk down beautiful Post Ave and smile at everyone, NO MATER what their color, or ethnic background is...just so you know every neighborhood has its quirks....just accept it, let go ouf your anger and walk proud to be living here.
I didn't say not to be proud of the village, fire department, or the school district! But your attitude exemplifies that of our village government....that nothing is wrong. If you want to keep Westbury great, if you want to be proud of your community, then you should FIX things that are wrong in the community. Illegal rooming houses with 20-30 people in them, gangs loitering on Post ave, these are not the kind of things to be proud of.
You assume that I look at anyone who isn't white with disgust, that is a blatent lie and far from the truth. We have many legal immigrants in our community who are just as disgusted with the illegals as I am.
Case in point, a (LEGAL) immigrant who set up an auto body shop awhile ago (I'm not saying where to protect his identity). He had to put with illegals tresspassing on his property, often to get drunk and use the area in front of his garage as a bathroom. He WAS disgusted with illegals too. The police and Village Hall did nothing to help him. He decided to leave the village and set up shop in another town.
Take a look at most of the new businesses that have opened within downtown in the past year. A new mexican resteruant near C-Town (little Mexico). A bodega (cremosa), another bodega on Maple past the F.D., a spanish music store, a mexican clothing store (next to Alfredo's). A Hondoran resteruant (used to be Jamaican).
These places will not bring in shoppers to our town, they mainly cater to the population of illegals living here. That's why most of their signs are in spanish...not english. The hardware store closed down...I wonder what will move in there? Sure Gino's has a nice new spot, and Subway and Dunkin Donuts are here...BIG DEAL.
Are we going to wait until Post ave looks like Fulton or Clinton aves in Hempstead?
You are in denial, and I will keep that in mind in the next village election.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:55 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
The problem with John is he mixes just enough racism and looking down at others to lose the validity of some of his valid points. Also jumping to random assumptions does not help. Things can only be improved using facts, and logic.

Watch a few of this videos and you will see. The one buses are a good example of this.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
The problem with John is he mixes just enough racism and looking down at others to lose the validity of some of his valid points. Also jumping to random assumptions does not help. Things can only be improved using facts, and logic.

Watch a few of this videos and you will see. The one buses are a good example of this.
I have watched his videos. At least 3 of them. I think he is seeing what others are overlooking to be honest and saying what some won't dare to say. I am not seeing the racism personally.

Old 06-27-2008, 07:44 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
I have watched his videos. At least 3 of them. I think he is seeing what others are overlooking to be honest and saying what some won't dare to say. I am not seeing the racism personally.

So you feel calling people disease carrying roaches and beaners are valid arguments?

He also goes on about how they are not human but are animals and called the women breeders.

You will also notice that there are many others from the community on this board and no one sees what he does but him. Is he really so insightful?

Lastly, he edits his videos to get his points across. If you just watch his videos you would think that there nothing on Post Ave but Hispanic shops but in fact there is a lot more. Just off the top my head here are some the non Hispanic places to eat on post.

There is a trendy lounge, upscale Italian place, 2 pizza places, and Greek restaurant, Italian meat shop, Chinese restaurant, Subway, 2 delis, bagel shop and many more I just not thinking of right now. And there was never a Jamaican restaurant as he claims it was Haitian. I am Jamaican so there. A dinner theater is also in the works as the site of the old movie theater

I will not even try to list all the different type of non-food businesses.

All this on a street that is a mile long at max.

Last edited by LIOC; 06-27-2008 at 08:21 AM..

Old 06-29-2008, 05:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Folks.. this is not the forum to discuss illegal immigration. If you want to discuss the impact of illegal immigration, then we have a forum where you can discuss this to your hearts content.

Keep it on topic, Please..

Old 06-30-2008, 12:11 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
I think it would be hard not to talk about illegal immigration in a thread called "saving Westbury" when that's the main issue with the town.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:30 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
It isn't, though; Westbury was viewed negatively before it was such an issue there. Race is a lot to do with it, and if you want to deal with Westbury's issues by splitting off New Cassel, well, then you are bringing race into it (because New Cassel is 99% black and Hispanic, according to the Census). And John has constantly complained about the number of Spanish speakers and Hispanics in general. Hispanic (even Hispanic and poor) does not mean illegal.

If you kicked New Cassel out of Westbury UFSD, you wouldn't necessarily save Westbury. You'd still have it next door; people would do what they do in Hempstead and Roosevelt and try to get into the neighboring districts which would then suffer their own decline. You might actually make New Cassel a worse sink and the surrounding areas would suffer more. If you want to improve Westbury you need to deal with New Cassel.

IMO, a lot of Long Island's problems could be helped with some school district consolidation. I wouldn't want a county-wide or even town-wide districts, but the current patchwork of tiny ones is a recipe for racial polarization (because it takes relatively small shifts in population for a district to "turn") and it means that you get these awful sink districts. If you have one school that's bad, you can bring it up. When you have a whole district, it's impossible.

If you want Great Neck style rental population, you have to work to create a Great Neck. This means nice, high-spec rentals near the train station (Westbury's service isn't quite as good, but it's decent). You need a village area that looks nice and has something to do. The schools aren't quite as critical. Until fairly recently I was half of the young professional renting couple, and we weren't fussy about it as long as we weren't dealing with the sort of schools where drug dealing gangs hang out in front. We were interested in a quick walk to the station and somewhere to go after work. Westbury currently doesn't offer that, and honestly, trying to develop rental property in Nassau these days is a thankless task because 400 people turn up to the meeting bleating about kids overloading the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island