Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 07:18 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,150,795 times

Advertisements

I lived in the Fairfield Apts. on Lakeland Ave. for many years. It was nice and quiet but my car did get broken into once. It's safe there, though.

If I was single and moving to the area I would try to find something in Sayville or Bayport, 2 nice communities if you can find something in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 08:07 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbom View Post
thats for your suggestions.

I've been looking at apartmentratings.com Heatherwood and Saddle rock seem to have gotten really good ratings, the others not so nice. A general comment I've seen on several is car break ins and vandalism. Is the area generally pretty safe? The crime stats of the area don't seem very poor.

In general, whats the area like? are there things to do at night? is it more suburban or urban or none of the above?
It is suburban. Part of Bohemia has Industrial parks -- they are primarily located between Lakeland and Johnson between Vets Hwy (454) and Church St. The rest is residential.

I was a letter carrier in Bohemia for several years. Overall it is a quiet community, mostly well kept homes. I delivered mail to the Fairfield complex on Lakeland as well as the garden apartments south of Sunrise. The name is escaping me -- it was quiet, well kept and at that point in time had more families than singles. The Fairfield complex had a better mix of singles and families.

I can count on 1 hand the number of times I saw a police car at someone's home while on my route. Most of the time the local police were pulling over speeders or responding to traffic accidents. As a female, if I were single, I would feel comfortable living there alone. As for car break ins, there had been a rash of them throughout LI, because lots of people were leaving their Garmins/navigating systems and stuff visible on the windshield of their cars. Common sense says, don't keep the tempting stuff out where it can be seen.

As John pointed out, to the west of Bohemia is Connetquot Park which is lovely and wooded. There is access to the trails from the Bohemia side. There's also some decent fishing in there if you are so inclined and have the necessary license.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:00 AM

231 posts, read 960,654 times
If you are single and 26 - I would pick Huntington (25 min to Bohemia) or Babylon Village (15 minutes) - both are easy commutes against traffic. Lots of bars, restaurants, and people your age - also near parks and beaches.

Old 07-06-2008, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 17,539 times
Thanks for all your info. The area certainly seems better than where I am now (in the middle of nowhere). However I don't think I'll be moving there anymore. I found out more about the job, while it pays very well and my current job is going nowhere, this job would have very long hours and isnt really something I'm interested in. I figure its not worth moving if I won't have any time to enjoy the area and it doesnt do much for my career.

Thanks anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island