Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:58 PM

4 posts, read 26,503 times

Advertisements

We do not ualify for Sonyma. Is there anything else we could look into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2008, 02:32 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
I would have to know the details of your situation. If your problem is not much money for down payment and closing costs, your best bet is probably an FHA loan with a seller's concession. It works like this:

Purchase Price: 200,000
Seller Concession: 12,000
Contract Price: 212,000
Down Payment: 6,360 (3% of of 212,000)
Mortgage Amount: 205,640

At closing, the seller gets his 200,000 and you use the 12,000 Seller Concession to help pay your closing costs.

Old 06-26-2008, 03:41 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,169 times
Default Wells Fargo

I am buying a house on LI now too and getting quite an education. I put an offer on a short sale but need the sellers concession too and it is doubtful the bank will consider my offer.

However, I was informed that Wells Fargo has a grant program for first time buyers (or having not owned a home in the last 3 yrs) and it can take the place of the sellers concession. For Suffolk County it seems it can go up to $15,000 towards the closing costs and down payment. I'm gonna try for it.

Any more info on that TomMoser?

Here is the website for the Wells Fargo grants.
https://ilnet.wellsfargo.com/ildocs/..._States/NY.htm

Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
VA (veterans) loans do not require a down payment; they are about the only program currently that doesn't and with a seller concession it can be very helpful.

Old 06-26-2008, 04:30 PM
lxl

74 posts, read 412,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
I would have to know the details of your situation. If your problem is not much money for down payment and closing costs, your best bet is probably an FHA loan with a seller's concession. It works like this:

Purchase Price: 200,000
Seller Concession: 12,000
Contract Price: 212,000
Down Payment: 6,360 (3% of of 212,000)
Mortgage Amount: 205,640

At closing, the seller gets his 200,000 and you use the 12,000 Seller Concession to help pay your closing costs.
Seller's concession is illegal if it is treated as a separate transaction and not report to the bank - http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/10/ma...in&oref=slogin

In today's market, I don't think any bank will give you a mortgage if you tell them that you need a seller's concession to cover the closing cost. But then, hey, you never know. They are the ones who created all these "creative financing" schemes.

To the OP, if you truly can not afford the house you are trying to buy, why can't you just find a cheaper one or rent for a while? With these kind of creative financing schemes, you will end up with negative equity right off the bat. In Tom's example, the bank owns more than 100% of "your" house. The market is currently in a foreclosure crisis. Think for a moment. What is the root cause of this crisis?

Old 06-26-2008, 05:52 PM

4 posts, read 26,503 times
It's not that we can't afford the house. Someone mentioned this to us and there is nothing to loose by looking into it. We'd rather put an assitional $10 or $15.000 in downpayment if there was something out there which we did _ualify for.

Old 06-26-2008, 08:29 PM

55 posts, read 180,879 times
We closed on our new house in farmingdale on april 15, 2008. We had a $15,000 seller concession which was great. The lender was first franklin and the loan has been sold already to wells fargo. The first house we bought we payed the closing costs upfront and my wife and I vowed to never do that again. My friend just closed on his mortgage through citi with a sellers concession one month ago. Seller concessions are indeed taking place.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 PM
lxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomedsea View Post
It's not that we can't afford the house. Someone mentioned this to us and there is nothing to loose by looking into it. We'd rather put an assitional $10 or $15.000 in downpayment if there was something out there which we did _ualify for.
I don't see how seller's concession can help you.

The rebate you get from the seller is not free. It's money you borrow from the bank, which you have to payback with interest. For example -

no concession:
200k house
you put down 40 + 20 closing and borrow 160
out of pocket: 60k
borrowed: 160k

220k on paper
you put down 60k (you said you want to use the closing money as additional down payment) and borrow 160. The seller pays the closing cost.
out of pocket: 60k
borrowed: 160k

The only difference is the artificially inflated price of the house and perhaps the slightly higher commission for the RE agent. Did I miss anything? Well, it is a different ball game if you hide all of these from the bank. That, however, will make this practice an illegal scam.

Old 06-26-2008, 09:18 PM

1,027 posts, read 2,508,366 times
It is very legal to have a seller's concession. Lenders allow it, and it is usually a percentage of the purchase price/loan. The advantage of a concession is basically that it is less money out-of-pocket for the buyer, which then allows him to take what would have been cash down at closing and turn it into home repairs, etc.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:11 PM
lxl

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmycuties View Post
It is very legal to have a seller's concession. Lenders allow it, and it is usually a percentage of the purchase price/loan. The advantage of a concession is basically that it is less money out-of-pocket for the buyer, which then allows him to take what would have been cash down at closing and turn it into home repairs, etc.
I am not saying it is out right illegal. If you inform the lender and follow the lender's standards then it is perfectly legal. Otherwise, it is a scam. In my opinion, if the buyer can not afford the closing cost, I think he/she is stretching his/her budget a bit too far. Perhaps I am just a bit too conservative.

Also, I don't see how it saves money for the buyer. If the house needs immediate repair, a smart buyer should have negotiated the cost of the repair into the price already, especially in this market. This whole seller's concession scheme is jut to get a larger loan for the buyer which he/she would not qualify otherwise. I believe this is how toxic loans are manufactured
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island