Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:30 PM

248 posts, read 873,207 times

Advertisements

I think people teach on LI for different reasons-one is pay, another is fear of moving out of the comfort zone they grew up in..my potential reason is that I want to start a family and be nearby if anything should happen. I have been teaching in NYC for 7 years and never had an issue with anything but the administration. CEO, if you are looking for any type of job and before you point fingers...it's train FARE, not fair...perhaps some more background knowledge prior to applying in the city ..oh, and a PS...many districts, I have heard, seem to like NYC teachers because they have varied and different experience than those who just lilly-footed their way through to getting their degree...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 04:50 PM

7 posts, read 23,893 times
Let me put this out their.....I didn't Lilly foot my way through school. I understand that just because someone holds a teaching degree doesn’t mean they can be or have what it takes to be a "teacher". I am just fed up with seeing the amount of untalented people being granted the opportunity to teach, given that chance because of who you know. I worked in a district that was not really that large, and just in the Math dept. I can pick out at least 4 younger teachers (without tenure) that have no business in front of the classroom or complain about the position. Move on and let someone have the position that wants to be there.
And I know what your response will be; they will be let go after their first year. That’s great, but now they have that experience and will take first consideration on their job search. I have seen it first hand.

Sorry for my GRAMITICAL errors, I guess my frustration is taking over and I tend to type rather fast.

LIPumpkin- Could you explain this?
CEO, if you are looking for any type of job and before you point fingers...it's train FARE, not fair...perhaps some more background knowledge prior to applying in the city

Are you saying this because I typed fair not fare??

Old 06-29-2008, 07:16 PM

517 posts, read 2,484,948 times
I'm a NYC teacher who is looking to move to LI, I can tell you that one of my reasons for wanting to teach on LI would simply be for a better commute once I move. Another reason is that if you think the bureaucracy on LI is bad, wait until you get to the city. The school system is just too big to be truly effective. The passing on of students happens just as often in the city. I was asked to pass a football player this term and you have no idea what kind of treatment I received when I refused.

In regards to younger teachers who aren't effective, there is a huge learning curve. It took me 3 years to feel like I was a real teacher and that I was actually doing my job well. Education classes, even on the graduate level, are nothing like what you encounter when you are actually in front of your first class. I know a lot of people who thought that they wanted to teach until they actually tried it.

As for nepotism/who you know, that happens in a lot of industries. People like to get recommendations from someone they trust rather than wading through a bunch of resumes. Is it fair? Not really, but its going to continue to happen. I'm trying to network as much as possible and hope for the best. In the meantime, I've got my job in Brooklyn. I'll suck it up and commute if necessary. Its a lot easier to get a job in the city because we need so many teachers due to the turnover rate - that doesn't mean its a lot easier to get a job in a good school. Most of the openings are in the poorest neighborhoods. Its a great proving ground but its also hard on those new teachers.

Regarding tenure, I think people outside of teaching have misconceptions about that. All that tenure really means is that your principal must show just cause for firing you. It does not mean that you can't be fired. It was designed to prevent Principals/school boards from firing teachers for reasons other than incompetence. Schools can also refuse to give you tenure if your performance is unsatisfactory, or they can extend your probationary period.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:28 PM

175 posts, read 657,383 times
Why WOULDN'T someone want to teach on Long Island? In many districts teachers are completely overpaid and have no accountability. It's like saying why do so many NYPD cops want to get into Long Island.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:40 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO 2B View Post
llama8 - Could you take a look at my resume, I changed it over and over, and thought it was good to go. But I haven't had any interviews, at this point I am willing to try anything. It would be greatly appreciated.

I definately would not mind looking at your resume. I have helped a few friends with their resumes, but I am by no means an expert. I have also been involved in the hiring process at my school this past year. I do know what they were looking for and what impressed them on certain resumes. Just so you know, I teach High School History, but I have helped people with elementary school resumes as well as other subjects.

I also do understand that sometimes great teachers do not get the same opportunities as others who knew someone. I didn't know anyone in the public schools and got a job, but I have seen others at my school get their foot in the door based on who they knew. Many professions are like that, but I do see why it is frustrating.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:34 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEO 2B View Post
I have no problem teaching in the city, I entered my application over 3 week ago, and haven't herd anything back. Is out of state experience no good?
I am certified in Math 7-12.
They will contact you in August, you should be as shoe in due to the lack of math teachers.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:40 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
I just retired from my teaching job in the city. I know my school is looking for a math teacher for its new middle school. The new tendency in city schools is to have K-8 schools and they want to departmentalize the upper grades. My old school needs a Latin teacher (!!!) and a math teacher.

Good luck to you. With math, you should have no problem at all , even on Long Island.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-30-2008, 08:05 AM

7 posts, read 23,893 times
No problem on LI??? I graduated in May 2007, applied all through the spring of 07, and now this year, with no interviews.
If you don't mind me asking, what is the name of the middle school?

My one question I had that I would really like others input on is-

What do you think of getting experience out of state and then coming back to LI? I was thinking in terms of SC/NC.

Old 06-30-2008, 11:47 AM

12 posts, read 47,718 times
60% of our taxes go to the schools and with that top pay-not as good as the police but good enough. If you live on Long Island you have it made with no commute into NYC and summer's off plus nice benefits.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,801,905 times
Our parochial school is hiring ; they are loosing at least 4 teachers due to pregnancies, and/or retirement.

As for terrible teachers and nepotism ; my son was in 1st grade and his teacher should never have been in the classroom. Anytime she failed to follow thru on something like ; saying the spelling test was on monday, hence my child and most other children were ready for it, and it was not given. Her answer was always ; oh you know the problems in the class, my son had 5 mins taken out of his recess daily due to either not listening or talking or whatever the punishment was ; that went on daily for the whole year. Now if my son needed to be punished that was fine ; but after 10 months maybe it was time to change the punishment. It was the same story with the parents this year also. Failing to follow thru what she said to the students.

Now this teacher was hired as her mother worked there for years. Last year she was studying and therefore was overwhelmed, this year she got engaged, married and pregnant so obviously she was not concentrating on the children again.

My son had a wonderful 2nd grade with not one punishment, just loved his teacher.

pm me if you want to know the school that is hiring.
d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island