Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Can ALL towns be classified "North Shore" or " South Shore"?
Yes 11 24.44%
No 34 75.56%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 07:46 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,592,357 times

Advertisements

I voted No because of the whole "mid-island" question.

Routes 25A (north) and 27A (south) for purists but Routes 25 and 27 for general-community purposes.

IMO anything between Jericho Tpke and Sunrise Hwy would be mid-Island. For example, I doubt anyone would describe Brentwood as being a South Shore community although both Bay Shore and West Islip which abut the south borders of Brentwood definitely are. And although Dix Hills stretches just barely to the south side of Jericho Tpke, it's never described as North Shore (although on the other hand I've never seen Elwood, which starts on the north side of Jericho, described as a North Shore place either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2009, 11:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarina View Post
Ok, so I'm moving to LI and you have me completely confused.

alamarina, to unconfuse you:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:12 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,136,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
most people that I know use Route 25 (middle country rd.)as the divider for north and south shore but if a town is on both sides such as centereach,lake grove,selden for example they consider them north shore towns.
No they dont.

Perhaps theres people who live in the Middle would like to tell themselves that, but there is absolutely nothing North Shore about Centerearch or Selden and theres no one who would consider them as such.

Thanks for playing though.
; )
(Lake Grove gets a maybe)

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 06-20-2009 at 11:24 PM..

Old 06-20-2009, 11:32 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
No they dont.

Perhaps theres people who live in the Middle would like to tell themselves that, but there is absolutely nothing North Shore about Centerearch or Selden and theres no one who would consider them as such.

Thanks for playing though.
; )
(Lake Grove gets a maybe)

Crooks
I think you're tossing Lake Grove a 'pity north'. It's south of 347 and extends down to Ronkonkoma -- to me it's more in line with a central LI town, much like Selden and Centereach's borders.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I think you're tossing Lake Grove a 'pity north'. It's south of 347 and extends down to Ronkonkoma -- to me it's more in line with a central LI town, much like Selden and Centereach's borders.
True.

I am sort of inclined to give towns that touch 347/25a a mulligan but Centereach/Selden is delusional North.

Crooks

Old 06-21-2009, 07:19 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,620,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I am sort of inclined to give towns (sic) that touch 347/25a a mulligan but Centereach/Selden is delusional North.

Except that the northernmost parts of the Hamlet of Centereach and the Hamlet of Selden are further north than the northernmost part of the Village of Lake Grove!

Old 06-21-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Except that the northernmost parts of the Hamlet of Centereach and the Hamlet of Selden are further north than the northernmost part of the Village of Lake Grove!

Thank you Walter.

Perhaps I fell for the South Setauket ruse again.
I officailly retract my Lake Grove mulligan ( I thought she ran north of 347 at a few points).

You're either North of 347/25a ...or youre not.

Crooks

Old 06-21-2009, 07:50 AM

9,154 posts, read 13,184,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Traditionally , the North Shore was always North of 25A ( Northern Blvd/ North Country Road ) and the South Shore was South of 27A (Montauk Highway/ Merrick Road ) . To imply that the shores go all the way to Sunrise and Jericho is really a stretch. Those two highways are really not on either shore, except for Sunrise on the East End.

Those are where most , if not all, of the villages are located also.
I strongly disagree. To begin with these borders of Merrick Rd/Montauk Highway would leave part of Freeport, Merrick, Seaford, Amityville, Lindenhurst, Babylon, Sayville, Bellport etc. on the South Shore and part in the middle of the Island! It would also mean that areas like Valley Stream which are several miles from the water would be South Shore but areas like Brightwaters or the Argyle Lake area in Babylon Village --- where you can see the canal leading to the bay --- are not South Shore?

Old 06-21-2009, 07:55 AM

9,154 posts, read 13,184,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Agreed.

However, north shore/south shore only applies in Nassau County.

In Nassau County, all or parts of the cities, villages and hamlets north of The North Hempstead Turnpike and south of The Merrick Road are north shore and south shore, respectively.
The terms North Shore and South Shore are also used in Suffolk County. Occasionally they are used in Queens with the Jackie Robinson/Grand Central Pkwy (the terminal moraine) being the boundary. There is even a South Shore High School in Brooklyn!

Old 06-21-2009, 10:21 AM

342 posts, read 1,091,739 times
I think the poster who brought this thread up again was asking what is the difference b/t North Shore and South Shore. I haven't lived here long enough to have a valuable opinion, however, I've been told that North Shore traditionally equals old money, rocky beaches, horses, sailing and the culture that goes along with those activities. The South Shore equals new money, sandy beaches, motor boats and the culture that goes along with those activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island