Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
You're not going to find a home on LI for 250K period. Also, if your husband works for the city, doesn't your primary residence have to be within the 5 boros?? I would look into that.
Nope, thanks to the cops complaining, they can live outside the city, but only in Suffolk, Nassau, Westchester, Rockland and Putnam. I don't think all departments are affected by residency requirements, but that's the rule for police and fire.

There have been proposals to allow cops to live in NJ, but I don't know if they've passed.

BTW, the schools in Queens shouldn't be sniffed at. Some of them are really good, as good as many of the more average LI districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 08:55 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
You might want to consider renting a house. No taxes, no maintenance, no repair. No Equity. But buying a house for $250,000 and under is near to impossible in Nassau County as well as Suffolk County. Lots of people are renting these days....there are people that can't sell their homes, and people who can't afford to buy homes.....Renting makes everyone happy. Must have good credit. Pets are not a good thing to get unless you already own a home. Proof of income is needed.

Old 07-29-2008, 01:33 PM

19 posts, read 48,656 times
Thanks for the replies everyone! I've sort feel alone in this. My husband likes our area, which is fine but I would like to see different things. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Our parents still reside here. I kinda wanted to plant my own roots somewhere else. Unfortuantely, given my husbands occupation( and the fact that we must remain in NY state)... makes it feel hopeless...
Thanks Again to all who replied!

Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,599 times
I just bought a house in Patchogue for 225k(for your commute it would be a little too far i would think.)Just needed cosmetic and some minor repairs.I felt the same way you do and i had a 240k limit on price.They are out there trust me.You will not find an immaculate updated home with everything you want but im sure you can find something.For what youd be paying in rent you can be paying a mortgage.I looked at TONS of rentals before i got approved for a mortgage and the prices are ridiculous.If you give me some towns you are interested in i can keep my eyes open and look around for you.Good luck,dont give up!

Old 07-29-2008, 07:47 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
The reason why rental prices seem "ridiculous" is because of the costs to the landlord for running the place. Landlords have to pay real estate taxes, something some tenants know nothing about, they have to pay for business insurance, they pay income taxes on rent paid to them, etc., etc. As everyone knows, LI is an expensive place to maintain a house, and that includes maintaining and owning rental houses.

Which explains the so-called high rent landlords are asking - they need at the very least to break even, which lots of times doesn't happen, especially when tenants cause much damage.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
The reason why rental prices seem "ridiculous" is because of the costs to the landlord for running the place. Landlords have to pay real estate taxes, something some tenants know nothing about, they have to pay for business insurance, they pay income taxes on rent paid to them, etc., etc. As everyone knows, LI is an expensive place to maintain a house, and that includes maintaining and owning rental houses.

Which explains the so-called high rent landlords are asking - they need at the very least to break even, which lots of times doesn't happen, especially when tenants cause much damage.

Exactly.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
yep. I can totally agree with you there.I am a landlord (a good one) and had a tenant in the house for over 2 years. When she left, she left me with $18,000 in damage. It wasnt worth to go after her with a lawyer, so I settled for a fraction in small claims court.

We have insurance, property tax, income tax ; sometimes it just is not worth the agrivation of tenants.

Oh but we landlords are all rich right!!

d

Old 07-30-2008, 10:09 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,250,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey'sMom>:) View Post
Thanks for the replies everyone! I've sort feel alone in this. My husband likes our area, which is fine but I would like to see different things. I was born and raised in Brooklyn. Our parents still reside here. I kinda wanted to plant my own roots somewhere else. Unfortuantely, given my husbands occupation( and the fact that we must remain in NY state)... makes it feel hopeless...
Thanks Again to all who replied!
I could have written your post, except we don't have the baby, yet.
My husband and I have about the same budget and have run into similar issues. Have you considered a 2-3 family instead? Prices for fixer-uppers in some of the fringe areas of Brooklyn are really coming down. Unfortunately the public schools aren't that great, but maybe parochial school is an option. I keep hoping that with the flood of new families into Brooklyn in the past five years that the schools will improve.

Old 08-01-2008, 12:32 PM

8 posts, read 35,333 times
I have a baby and a co-op in queens. Remember, most places half of your maintenance is real estate tax, which is deductible. And the rest pays for grounds upkeep, snow shovelling, security, gas, heat, water, laundry facilities, maintaining the buildings, etc. You pay for cable and phone (which you get a discounted group rate) and electric. You really come out ahead as you'd be paying for all this in ahouse, and LI is more expensive than queens. And if you have a garden apt, your kids can run around right outside your door. I live in Windsor Oaks, we have a playground on one side of the neighborhood and alley pond park on the other side--we never are inside the apt.

we also grill, and picnic outside, and bring out the kiddy pool in the summer.

My advice is at least look at a few open houses and see if its for you, because your budget will never allow a decent house on LI. And you would be surprised how fast the years go and you will find you will then have equity to move into a house down the line.

Plus, our school district is very good and right around the corner.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:01 PM

172 posts, read 410,219 times
I live in West Babylon and like it very much. You are not likely to find a house less than 325-350 unless it needs EVERYTHING done. I find that north babylon is slightly cheaper, but not much. I commute to the city occasionally and it takes about 1:10 from lindenhurst train station to penn. Lindenhurst might be a little (slightly) more affordable. Good luck. My friend just bought a condo further out east for a good price - in Oakdale for $160 with low fees (approx 400 if i remember correctly)... long commute though. Hope that helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island