Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 12:36 PM

2 posts, read 18,811 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I have a job offer in NYC and plan to move into NY in the next month
currently we stay in TN, I would like to know where the Kerala/malayalee community is in NY, I have heard from sources they are located in
Rockland, just wanted to know if there is any strong Kerala/malayalee presence in nassau county

Thank you for any suggestions,
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:30 PM

65 posts, read 477,850 times
Just an fyi, Rockland, is north of NYC, not on Long Island where Nassau County is located.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:12 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm09 View Post
Hi Everyone,

currently we stay in TN, I would like to know where the Kerala/malayalee community is in NY, I have heard from sources they are located in
Rockland, just wanted to know if there is any strong Kerala/malayalee presence in nassau county

Queens...Jackson Heights, Bellerose, Glen Oaks.

Also, large populations in northern New Jersey.

Don't think Rockland has large communities, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:29 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,917,023 times
Herricks, parts of Great Neck, Hicksville, Plainview. However, I have no idea where in India people are from. Plainview has a gurdwara so I'm guessing there are Punjabis there.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:38 PM

8,797 posts, read 21,196,799 times
Most people are not aware of which Indian group is which. Is that very important?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,384,752 times
You can add to this list outside of LI up in Westchester you have Malu's representing Yonkers, and there's a Syro-Malabar Catholic church in the Bronx. There's definitely Malayalee's in Bergen County, New Jersey right across the water from the Bronx & Westchester. I'm sure there's nice patches of them in Long Island especially near the Queens border and in Queens like this guy mentioned (Bellerose, Flushing, etc.). Yes, Rockland County has a nice amount as well.

I'm from Chicago, so it's hard for me to give the full scoop about NY, but I do know my fair share about the Malayalee (Indians from the south Indian state of Kerala) pop. out there from every palli (church). Philadelphia also has a very sizable amount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Queens...Jackson Heights, Bellerose, Glen Oaks.

Also, large populations in northern New Jersey.

Don't think Rockland has large communities, but I could be wrong.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:00 PM

37 posts, read 189,588 times
I know there is an Indian community in New Hyde Park and Great Neck (as mentioned before), but there is also one in East Meadow, an Indian friend of mine lives there and there is a decent sized population there. You mentioned you were interested in living in Queens, or near the border, New Hyde Park and Great Neck are the closest suburbs to Queens, Great Neck is quite expensive, New Hyde Park is more affordable and close to the city. I'm pretty sure Kew Gardens has a well sized Indian community, also.

Old 07-13-2008, 04:43 PM

536 posts, read 2,342,272 times
Despite having a very busy Indian shopping district, Jackson Heights isn't all that Indian. Most Indians in Queens and LI are Punjabi, I believe, but there's also a fair dispersal of other ethnicities in the same neighborhoods. Indians live throughout all of Queens, but Bellerose, Glen Oaks, New Hyde Park and Herricks are the neighborhoods with the most concentrated Indian populations, with the first two on the Queens side of the border and the last two on the Nassau side. All four neighborhoods pretty much have the same appearance, nice brick houses on narrow properties.

Old 07-14-2008, 06:10 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,429,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm09 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking you can ask through your church or other Kerala/Malayalee organizations you may be connected to. They probably network with locations elsewhere around the country or could know people who live in/around NYC or LI. That would give you the best way of knowing ---- also, they may be able to introduce you to people in the areas who could help you to settle in (find a place to live, schools, etc)

Old 07-14-2008, 06:15 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,429,790 times
For those not familiar with the Malayalee.....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malayalee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island