U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 07:08 PM

323 posts, read 1,686,878 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a travel nurse that has been offered a job on LI. Problem is while looking through craigslist I notice that no one wants to rent to people with pets. Where do all these poor babies go?
I myself have two shih tzu's that I love and adore and to me they are like my children. So its equivilant to someone saying they will not rent to me if I have kids or I must give my children away if I want to rent from them.
I do have a home in NC, but want to come back up North (where I am from) for a travel position.
Oh another thing... I smoke cigarettes.... can do outdoors though.
On a brighter note... I do not drink, do drugs, have parties or promiscuous sexual depravity
So anyway, how do people rent in LI who have pets and who smoke cigarettes?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM

1,203 posts, read 3,408,250 times
Your dogs may be like children to you, but landlords are legally allowed to discriminate against pets and not allowed to discriminate against children.

The stink from smoking is very difficult to get rid of. Carpeting, drapes, anything smoke can smell up has to be thrown out after you've moved. Just walk into a hotel room designated for smokers - of course you yourself won't be able to smell the stink since you're used to it and think it's just fine, but someone who doesn't smoke wouldn't be able to sleep in there because of the terrible odor.

So, it costs a landlord plenty of $ to replace what's been damaged by the odor of smoking, and will be taken out of your security deposit. Guaranteed. And if the damage exceeds the security deposit, you can be sure you'll be sued and taken to court to pay up.

As far as pets go, landlords aren't thrilled with them either, although they can actually cause less damage than kids. Pets have their "accidents" - urinating on floors, soaking through carpeting and staining and damaging wood floors underneath (a very expensive repair); pets scratching woodwork, chewing woodwork, etc. Unless a pet is very well tended too, they can get into too much trouble and cause way too much damage. Again, more $ for repairs.

And some pets make plenty of noise - barking, yapping, etc. Not fun for the neighbors.

Keep looking though - there are some landlords out there who will rent to someone with two dogs, but they may have stipulations about them like having to crate them while you're out, etc. Honestly, I'm a big fan of dogs, and I would never leave them alone for more than 2 hours at a time. They need to be around people. It makes them happy. They will not be happy waiting for you to come home after a 12-hour shift. Way to long.

Maybe you ought to consider letting a friend dogsit for you while you're up here in the north. Just a thought.

Oh, and from what I've read and heard, landlords in NC are treated fairly in the courts with some laws protecting them while up here in NY a landlord is at the mercy of laws that are skewed way in favor of the tenants - a tenant can take great advantage of a landlord here in NY and get away with it, and many of them do (we have many "professional tenants" here robbing landlords of services and living off them through our ridiculously long eviction process). Landlords need to watch out for themselves, the same way tenants watch out for themselves. So that could be another possible explanation why LL's can't be bothered with smokers and pets. Too much trouble and bother.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 7,812,406 times
I know a person who has cats and is a smoker, they live in Great Neck Plaza.

Old 07-08-2008, 08:58 PM

4,502 posts, read 12,813,769 times
It depends on what part of LI and what you can afford. There are many "luxury" complexes that you can rent from that will allow pets (not sure about smoking, but probably)....

If you're looking to rent in a private home, be VERY careful. Most of those apts are illegal and you may end up with a crappy slumlord.

Old 07-08-2008, 11:15 PM

148 posts, read 522,677 times
Check out Fairfield Properties - they have complexes around Long Island. At least some of their properties allow pets (with a surcharge added to the rent-something like 70$ a pet).

Last edited by rprprprp; 07-08-2008 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: there/their problems

Old 07-09-2008, 12:29 AM

2,845 posts, read 9,900,594 times
I believe the poster Gigi Bowman on here specializes in pet friendly rentals, you might wanna try shooting her a PM.

Smoking is a tough one....I'm in the same boat, your options become very limited....and as annoying as it is to admit, cigarettes can trash a place. If you don't already know, cigarettes on LI are now seven freaking dollars a pack so that might be some incentive to quit!

Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,708,657 times
Smoking is tough. We're looking for rentals and almost every listing says nonsmoking. (We don't smoke; I've just noticed this.) Pets are iffy but doable. Sometimes an ad will say "no pets" but what they really don't want are big dogs. Dogs in general are harder than cats, but big ones are the worst.

My sister had to quit smoking to get an apartment in New York. And yes... cigarettes cost $7/pk. This aint NC.

As for discriminating against kids, don't get me started. I have flagged at least 10 Craigslist posts that say "couple/2 singles preferred" (Craigslist's own rules that you have to read to post specify that this is illegal).

Old 07-09-2008, 05:41 AM

323 posts, read 1,686,878 times
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Smoking is not an issue for me. I can smoke outdoors and thats fine. I also can buy ciggies over the internet fairly cheap.
But I cannot give my babies up. I am not against crating them and I do agree that 12 hrs is a long time. My next step was to find someone that could either walk them or dog sit them. (agg another big expense, I know).
Since I would only be in the area for 3 twelve hour shifts I did think to perhaps rent a motel/hotel for those days and then drive back on my days off to my friends house. (She lives in NJ, works in Manhatten)
And since I am a homeowner here in NC, I DO completely UNDERSTAND where the landlords are coming from as I have had some horrid tenants and yes , civil evictions are a lengthy process.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:58 AM

889 posts, read 2,292,302 times
Yes, I do, but I'm not allowed to advertise it. Pet Friendly Rentals --I'm sure eventually you'll find my ad on Craig's List or shoot me over a Private Message

Old 07-09-2008, 07:52 AM

6,823 posts, read 7,949,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by energygrrl View Post
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies. Smoking is not an issue for me. I can smoke outdoors and thats fine. I also can buy ciggies over the internet fairly cheap.
But I cannot give my babies up. I am not against crating them and I do agree that 12 hrs is a long time. My next step was to find someone that could either walk them or dog sit them. (agg another big expense, I know).
Since I would only be in the area for 3 twelve hour shifts I did think to perhaps rent a motel/hotel for those days and then drive back on my days off to my friends house. (She lives in NJ, works in Manhatten)
And since I am a homeowner here in NC, I DO completely UNDERSTAND where the landlords are coming from as I have had some horrid tenants and yes , civil evictions are a lengthy process.
Do the math before you decide to take this travel gig. Hotels are big money up here. Some travel companies have housing available. Check with other companies to see what is out there.
Also, travel companies tend to have less than ideal jobs available. That is why they are being offered to travelers; all the locals know about the place and aren't interested in working there. Ignorance is bliss.

LI/NY have such high costs of living that what works out financially in other parts of the country doesn't always work out well here. Do a thorough analysis of costs (including NYS income tax) versus pay before accepting the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island