Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:50 PM

126 posts, read 332,298 times

Advertisements

We have looked on and off for houses over the past year and are now gearing up to look seriously again. Unfortunately our experiences with buyer's agents has been very disappointing. Typically, I know more based on my online research and have often brought the house to them to say I wanted to see it. Anyone have suggestions on how to find someone that will really help work with us to get the best price etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 03:36 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwenrn View Post
We have looked on and off for houses over the past year and are now gearing up to look seriously again. Unfortunately our experiences with buyer's agents has been very disappointing. Typically, I know more based on my online research and have often brought the house to them to say I wanted to see it. Anyone have suggestions on how to find someone that will really help work with us to get the best price etc?
I feel the same. I started to use someone recommended through my mortgage company and dropped him quick. Total negative jackass. The next person, which I am currently using, is a mess. I also had to bring all the houses to her. She didn't seem to anxious to help us until we put the bid in for this house. She didn't even know to put the paperwork together. I am now currently trying to buy this house we found but it has problems with the cess pool and electric. She is pushing hard for a quick close but I am not doing jack until we have some kind of agreement with the seller on the cess poll and electric. Not to mention they have an inground oil tank which I want to get tested. Nice lady but if this one falls through I am definitely getting a new agent.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:40 AM

56 posts, read 244,735 times
Quote:
If you can't find a good agent by asking the people you know for a referrel just like you would a Doctor or a plumber I would then research agents just like you research houses. We all have profiles online. Go to the website of a reputable Realtor in the area you are looking- a company that has a large market share- & then go through every single profile & see who think would be a good fit. Then interview them. You can also call the manager & cross reference. BUt even that has it's problems. My manager now is really fair & reputable & ethical- she only manages DOES NOT SELL. But my last company the manager sold, her daughter worked in the same office & she would dole out referrals just to her own buddies.

Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM
lxl

74 posts, read 412,124 times
You can try this - Find an Exclusive Buyer Agent Near You | NAEBA (http://www.naeba.org/agent/index.htm - broken link)

Old 07-10-2008, 08:13 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Quote:
With the access that consumers have to information, I am more and more seeing my clients point out the specific homes that they would like to see, so I would not hold that against him too much. However, after you have viewed a few homes together, the agent should be getting to know you and be able to make recommendations. More important in a buyer's agent, though, is their attitude. You want someone who really cares about you and your real estate needs. This does not mean simply getting you the lowest price, but rather looking out for your best interests throughout the transaction.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:27 AM

44 posts, read 178,640 times
The most important criteria in selecting a buyers agent is how you feel about them. The most successful transactions I have had are when both buyer and agent do their research and communicate frequently. An experienced agent will ask you many questions, make suggestions and not push anything on you. Finding your own home selections should not be held against an agent. Telling your agent why you chose a particular home could prove very helpful in assisting the agent to find others you may not be aware of. If you are not sure of the agent, sign shorter temporary agreement. If you do not feel the agent is on your side or continues to show you properties you have not interest in, fire them! ask for a release. An experienced agent you can connect with, will have you hours of time, gas, and frustration, dealing with multiple agents or one you can't connect with makes the search ten times harder than it should be.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:27 AM

18 posts, read 26,116 times
Default how to find a buyer's agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxl View Post
The link quoted does not work. Try Exclusive Buyers Agents | First Time Home Buyers Agents | Real Estate Buyers Agents to find a buyer's agent

Old 09-26-2012, 01:22 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,708 times
Like any profession, there are good ones and bad ones. I have gone out with agents who know not even the basic information on the properties they are showing, and are incapable of digesting your specs for a home and coming up with good ideas. On the other hand, I have also found agents who know every little nook and cranny of the house and neighborhood that may interest you. I think the best bet is word of mouth. Spread the word, even to casual acquaintances, that you are looking for someone.

The one thing I laugh at is when the agent says to me, "I am working for you." No, at the end of the day, except for a very rare few, they are working for themselves and their commission. Caveat emptor.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:49 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
One option of finding a qualified Buyer's Agent is to go on the Real Estate Buyer's Agent Council (REBAC) site and search for a member in your desired area. In order to earn the ABR (Accredited Buyer Representative) designation, not only do agents have to meet educational requirements, they have to have satisfactorily completed several transactions as Buyer Agent. Here's a link to the site:

REBAC: Find a REALTOR® Committed to Buyer Representation

Good luck!

Old 05-26-2017, 08:14 AM

30 posts, read 21,747 times
Quote:
Buyer's agents in NYC can be hit or miss. The easiest way to find a good one is to ask friends/family for a referral. Just make sure that whoever you work with offers you a buyer agent commission rebate. It's an automatic way to save money on your purchase.

Surprisingly, most of my friends who've recently bought property in NYC had no idea that rebates existed until I told them about it...

You can also request a rebate here: https://www.hauseit.com/find-great-buyers-agent-nyc/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island