Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 05:50 PM

893 posts, read 2,863,313 times

Advertisements

For people that live on the Queens border like I do, Valley Stream. I think its more easier catching a bus to Parsons and taking those trains, but I am only 16 and use the trains for fun with family. So I wouldnt really know.

Do you guys think the LIRR should use metro cards? Isnt it around 200 a month for 5 days a week transportation? Plus you have to add $80 for a metro card, thats a lot of money right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 05:53 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
If time counts, the LIRR is the better option. You'd use a LOT of time getting a bus and a subway.

Yes, the LIRR is expensive. IIRC LIRR riders still pay a lower proportion of costs than subway riders do, though. I don't think they could go to MetroCard as they'd have to install gates at every station. I believe you can buy a combo ticket/card so it's in one piece, but it can't go on a standard MetroCard because the conductor has to check it.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:57 PM

Oh, alright thats not bad than. I will have to check into using th LIRR when I want to hang in the city than.

True the wait for a N4 bus is ridiculous. I was waiting after school on Merrick Ave for one because I was to lazy to walk home, and the wait for the bus was 30 minutes long.

Old 07-18-2008, 07:41 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
Nancy, I think that's overall average commute time, not just public transit users. When I looked at the census data before, they didn't split commute time down by mode of transport.
Yup, that's right. The average commute time is for everyone, not just public transit users. % using public transportation also includes people who use taxis and livery service, which I thought was strange...might explain why such a large number of people in places like Centre Island are listed in that category.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:17 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielle Westbury View Post
oh ok... i wonder why so much in gaps? i thought they were going to add more trains. that was the first time i rode the train in a long time too.
The gaps are there because in rush hour the LIRR often uses both tracks for peak trains, screwing everyone else in the process. I'd like to see the practice ended. It would just mean slightly longer running times for peak trains, that's all.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:22 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
For people that live on the Queens border like I do, Valley Stream. I think its more easier catching a bus to Parsons and taking those trains, but I am only 16 and use the trains for fun with family. So I wouldnt really know.

Do you guys think the LIRR should use metro cards? Isnt it around 200 a month for 5 days a week transportation? Plus you have to add $80 for a metro card, thats a lot of money right there.
As been mentioned, it would require gates at every station, also unlike the subway system where you pay the same amount if you ride the subway for 1 or 2 stops or if you ride it for 20 stops, the LIRpay scale is structured that you pay more the longer the trip toy have.

As far as the amount of $4 it costs. it is pretty expensie firstve, but you can get some breaks. For example my monthly ticket is $211, I work downtown so I get the unlimited monthly which is $81 with that. If sign up for the mail and ride unlimited monthly metro card you save 5% on your railroad monthly ticket.

Depending on where you work (and I think most larger companies have this option) you can sign up for wage works, and have the tickets come out of your paycheck, with the first $115, as a pre tax deduction.

So the monthly railroad and metro card would cost $291, by using the mail and ride option it drops it down $280.45, which is what comes out of my paycheck. However, I don't have to pay taxes on the first $115 as its a pre-tax deduction so it really comes out to somewhere in the $235 range that I spend a month. Sill expensive, but do save quite a bit.

Now, riding it every now and then which is something it sounds like you would do your obviously not going to get those same kind of savings, but its still a better alternative than the bus. I would highly suggest purchasing your tickets prior to boarding the train, because the tickets are quite a bit more expensive to buy on the train than the ticket machines at the train station. Also if possible, it might make sense to get on at the Rosedale station (providing you can get there easily enough) as the tickets are a bit cheaper there than Valley Stream, since its in a different zone.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 PM

Thanks, that cleared a lot of stuff for me. I understand now I thought it was one flat rate at before, I didnt know its different per the amount of time on the train. I think I would rather just spend the extra and use the Valley Stream station tho.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:52 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
That's what I thought, sean. It is just that this was a post about the LIRR. I don't think that their commuting times have changed that much from the early 1900s.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 11-11-2008 at 07:41 PM..

Old 07-22-2008, 12:04 AM

43 posts, read 106,663 times
I take the LIRR because I don't drive.

For me, riding the bus and train is cheaper and more economical.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 PM

2 posts, read 7,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I take the LIRR Hempstead branch, which is pretty awful. The train takes approximately 1 hour to Hempstead from Penn, people get to Babylon & Huntington faster. I used to drive to Westbury and catch the express trains there, but its zone 7 and costs a bit more. It takes about 40 minutes to Westbury on the express, but 1 hour to Hempstead and Westbury is further east, but the first stop on the express. The Hempstead line has very little through service to Penn (and none at nights/weekends, all go to Flatbush Ave). There are two morning *express* trains (they don't stop at Jamaica and the dreaded Hollis/Queens Village stops). There are no, I repeat no express trains in the evenings. And now, with the summer track work, some genius at the LIRR decided to reduce the service, so from there's a 31 minute gap in the 7:00 hour in trains to Penn in the morning. There's a 7:00, 7:10 and 7:41 (couldn't someone have done a better job of spacing them here). Just terrible.
My husband and I are moving to W Hempstead from Queens. Is the Hempstead branch really that bad. I commute now, to the city and it takes me about 45 minutes,express bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island