Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2008, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 15,347 times

Advertisements

i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the area they call "the groves" in syosset. we recently put a bid on a house in that area and was just wondering what other people knew about it...if anything. we knew syosset is a good area for us for a few reasons but everyone always tells us northern syosset is better. not sure if that's true but just wondering.

thanks for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 10:29 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Syosset

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmom76 View Post
i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about the area they call "the groves" in syosset.

The Groves is in what had been the Hamlet of Locust Grove, which concomitant with the 1990 Census was eliminated as a separate hamlet and became part of the Hamlet of Syosset.

For those who may not be familiar with Syosset:

Syosset is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the central part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the northeast part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Syosset in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of East Norwich, the Village of Oyster Bay Cove and the Village of Laurel Hollow; on the east by the Hamlet of Woodbury; on the south by the Hamlet of Plainview, the Hamlet of Hicksville and the Hamlet of Jericho; and, on the west by the Village of Muttontown.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/Syosset-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Please note: the southwest border, separating the Hamlet of Syosset from the Hamlet of Jericho is further to the southwest than is shown on this map.

Syosset is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places with a "Syosset, NY 11791" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Syosset are in the Village of Muttontown and the Village of Laurel Hollow; and, at the same time, there are places that are in the Hamlet of Syosset that have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM

30 posts, read 157,364 times
I can tell you a bit about "The Groves". I just moved here six months ago.

The best way to describe it is as a development in transition. Properties are changing from homes built in the early 1950's on the northern end (mid-late 60's on the southern end) to completely rebuilt, new construction on a lot by lot basis. The place has a knick name among builders as "Carport Acres" and you can tell why when you drive around the northern part.

Property size varies greatly by Long Island subdivision standards. There are some homes that quite literally have only a slice of a backyard, whereas a home down the block will almost be double in size (about a 1/4 to a 1/3 of an acre). Check around before you buy.

The character of each block changes slightly as the original home buyers have matured, moved off or simply passed on. There are many homes that have been very nicely updated and maintained, but you can still come across a few stinkers. The population is primarily white but with a growing Asian and Indian minority. There's a big spread between economic levels as well. You'll find blue collar families next to white collar families.

The Groves and a few developments to the East and South are some of the few areas where you can buy a new home in Syosset for less than a million or an existing home for less than $500k. The builders market is incredible, with at least eight homes being renovated or built anew within a two block radius of my own home. I personally see this as a good thing, as property values will only go up as more homes get updated.

North Syosset is nice, but the home values jump DRAMATICALLY above Jericho Turnpike. I personally get irritated with the traffic along Jackson Road by the LIRR train station. The Groves are so centrally located that it's ridiculous. The LIE, Northern State, 106/107, 135, the LIRR (Hicksville or Syosset stations) are all so close.

The schools are excellent. Syosset and Jericho have a bit of a rivalry for top tier position and stats, but in talking with some people at the Department of Education that I know, their take on the difference between the two is that Syosset principals and teachers "Just get it". Whereas it seems Jericho is more concerned about teaching to the exam standards, I've been told by completely unbiased individuals that Syosset still embraces a thorough and well rounded approach to public education.

Hope this helps you.

Old 07-14-2008, 10:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
I personally hate the new McMansions going up over there. The old housing stock was fine, and homes like these need to be around so our young couples (the ones leaving LI in droves) can get their first home.
That area will always have a sweet spot in my heart....my first girlfriend lived over there.
Her house was small but very cozy, I loved that little backyard. Had many good times there. I believe she lived on Bluebird drive.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:57 AM

Running errands yesterday, I also wanted to add that shopping locations are all extremely convenient.

ShopRite and King Kullen are all of 5 minutes away - less than 2 miles. Home Depot is a mile away. The Broadway Mall is 10 minutes from your doorstep and the larger shopping areas such as The Source, Roosevelt Field or Walt Whitman malls are about 15 minutes travel time. Same goes for the 110 corridor. Woodbury Commons is right over 135.

It's pretty centralized.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 15,347 times
thanks for your replies!

Old 07-16-2008, 08:02 AM

In regards to the McMansions, it's not just the builders/developers that are in on the game. There's a lot of home renovations going on by existing home owners (extensions, dormers, etc). Its nice that every house doesn't look like each other. The Groves are no longer a cookie cutter development with only one or two house styles. I like that variety.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:39 PM

264 posts, read 877,853 times
You can get some relatively affordable houses north of Jericho Turnpike too.
Some of the houses in Syosset are going down tremendously in price...we found a house in the Berry Hill area which is only around $600,000 and it isn't a shabby house either..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island