U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2008, 10:47 AM

87 posts, read 252,826 times

Advertisements

What should a potential buyer offer on a home? 15% less then asking price?

Looking at homes in Syosset, Plainview, Bethpage’s. Asking price in the $450-$560K.

Seems to me like the market isn’t in the favor for the seller and really not a whole lot better for the buyer. The way I see it is that buyers will probably lose money on property purchased since property has been dropping in value.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 02:30 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,039,520 times
Offer what you believe is reasonable. You may also want to ask your real estate agent to show you comps of similar homes that have sold recently in the same neighborhood.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:23 AM

1,370 posts, read 4,948,683 times
I don't think you can make a generalization like that. Some homes are priced 15-20% above market, Others have priced aggressively to sell and are pricing at or slightly below market. I think that is true in any market. However, I would guess you have more priced over market now, however looking at Comps on similar houses and comparisons tell teh story.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:10 PM

9,592 posts, read 21,010,859 times
I agree, using one percentage for any and all offers is not appropriate. Not all houses are overpriced, so doing your homework, or having your Realtor do the homework, is the best approach to determining what the right offer is for any given property. Depending on how the home is priced, a reasonable offer can be anywhere from 3% to 15-20%.

Maybe you should work with a Buyer Broker, who represents only you, not the seller. They do all the homework, tell you what might be the best offer for YOU and will negotiate on your behalf. Any other Realtor really represents the financial interest of the Seller, even if (s)he takes you around and shows you homes. Most of the rest of the country only uses Buyer Brokers anyway, even upstate NY. There was a big push here in the late 90s early 2000s to go that route, but Long Island has been slow to change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I don't think you can make a generalization like that. Some homes are priced 15-20% above market, Others have priced aggressively to sell and are pricing at or slightly below market. I think that is true in any market. However, I would guess you have more priced over market now, however looking at Comps on similar houses and comparisons tell teh story.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:22 PM

9,592 posts, read 21,010,859 times
I'm not sure what you mean by "buyers will probably lose money on property purchased..."

If you're talking about investment property, that's one thing. Timing and price have a big impact, which is why you do your homework and your number crunching before you even make an offer.

If you're talking about your primary residence, profit motive should be incidental. Owning your own home has not only emotional advantages but also other financial benefits (too much to go into here), not the least of which is that the mortgage and RE taxes are tax deductible and therefor bring the actual, out-of-pocket, cost of your mortgage down.

Of course if you're only staying for two or three years, for instance, you could end up "losing"... In that case, maybe a rental would be better, depending on your risk tolerance.

Prices on Long Island have been on such a tremendous upswing for so long, that a downward adjustment was inevitable. People have come to expect continuing increases and realistically, that can't happen. In the late 80s/early 90s we also had a correction. That's just economics.

JMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSyce View Post
What should a potential buyer offer on a home? 15% less then asking price?

Looking at homes in Syosset, Plainview, Bethpage’s. Asking price in the $450-$560K.

Seems to me like the market isn’t in the favor for the seller and really not a whole lot better for the buyer. The way I see it is that buyers will probably lose money on property purchased since property has been dropping in value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: