Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 02:44 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,457 times

Advertisements

LMAO. This is one of those times where Walter chiming in with "For those of you...." post would be great.

I'll look up one of his old post to get the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 03:52 PM

222 posts, read 893,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
All I was pointing out it that for the better part of 27 years I have lived here. And if some asks where I am from I ,and just about anyone from here, will state Westbury. Even in Legend's Post you will notice that by default he will states he is from Westbury if asked. You can see this just by looking at the user name he choose.

Salisbury is a bit different in that a lot of it's political and school ties are with East Meadow. Even community wise they are more active in East Meadow.

For better or worst Westbury Village and New Cassel are joined at the hip. By Schools, Politics, and just sense of community. If you live here you know the fate of the village is largely linked to the fate of New Cassel. Many may not like this fact, but it is true none the less. To claim other wise is not looking at the whole picture. It seems some make it a point to point out they are not the same place even if just mentioned in passing.

Not picking on him, but if we are just at this site to talk about geography lines all we need are Walter Greenspans post, and call it a day it a day.
I do agree that the best thing would be regentrificate New Cassel, however, that takes time. I think that it's incorrect to assume that politically that New Cassel and the Village share the same views.

The first time I went down Prospect was probably 10 to 12 years ago. I was seeing someone who lived on Brushhollow Rd. (Now I know technically New Cassel). I thought nothing of the area until she wanted to go to the "corner store" on Prospect, which she referred to as the "ghetto". I was shocked that those types of scenes existed in L.I.. Since she considered herself a resident of Westbury, I assumed (based on what I saw) that this was not the nicest place to live. It was wasn't until I started looking for a home 3 years ago and saw some of the prices and homes online, that I began to understand the amount of geography the term "Westbury" encompassed. My wife and I saw beautiful upscale homes, particularly north of the parkway and east of Post Ave. This was also "Westbury".

My point is that some folks will quick dismiss the area (as I did) simply due to pure ignorance. If someone drive down Prospect at the wrong time and see some unsavoy things they might easily assume that this all Westbury is.

Ignoring New Cassel would be a mistake. I think a great opportunity for New Cassel would be to create affordable housing for young dual income professional families. Create parks and attractive ammenties for twenty and thirty-somethings. That would transform the schools and the overall negative perceptions as a whole. Only problem is that the town has to take the lead on that...they really need to push. North Hempstead was just rated the 46 th best Town to live in by CNN money--I think it's a great time for folks to get involved and really push for the change that could transform New Cassel into the new mecca for young educated professionals in the 21st century.....Ok I'm done.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:21 PM

1,147 posts, read 1,899,457 times
Two things. When I said politics I was more so talking about govt officials and reps. Not so much views.

I do not aways agree with you, but I enjoy discussing with you and like many of your ideas.

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
I do agree that the best thing would be regentrificate New Cassel, however, that takes time. I think that it's incorrect to assume that politically that New Cassel and the Village share the same views.

The first time I went down Prospect was probably 10 to 12 years ago. I was seeing someone who lived on Brushhollow Rd. (Now I know technically New Cassel). I thought nothing of the area until she wanted to go to the "corner store" on Prospect, which she referred to as the "ghetto". I was shocked that those types of scenes existed in L.I.. Since she considered herself a resident of Westbury, I assumed (based on what I saw) that this was not the nicest place to live. It was wasn't until I started looking for a home 3 years ago and saw some of the prices and homes online, that I began to understand the amount of geography the term "Westbury" encompassed. My wife and I saw beautiful upscale homes, particularly north of the parkway and east of Post Ave. This was also "Westbury".

My point is that some folks will quick dismiss the area (as I did) simply due to pure ignorance. If someone drive down Prospect at the wrong time and see some unsavoy things they might easily assume that this all Westbury is.

Ignoring New Cassel would be a mistake. I think a great opportunity for New Cassel would be to create affordable housing for young dual income professional families. Create parks and attractive ammenties for twenty and thirty-somethings. That would transform the schools and the overall negative perceptions as a whole. Only problem is that the town has to take the lead on that...they really need to push. North Hempstead was just rated the 46 th best Town to live in by CNN money--I think it's a great time for folks to get involved and really push for the change that could transform New Cassel into the new mecca for young educated professionals in the 21st century.....Ok I'm done.

I actually agree with you here. But what is going on in New Cassel now will not be the answer to the areas problems. The rooming houses need to go, the bodegas (like Stop1,etc) need to go as well. and like you said there should be parks and amenities there. Get rid of the bodegas and the "like" and young professionals will feel more comfortable living in New Cassel. Perhaps even build an LIRR station there.
As I've said before the Village of Westbury also needs to appeal to young people. The bodegas have to go, I'd rather see coffee shops, bakeries, and mainstream eateries replace the bodegas. The condo projects were supposed to do that, but the coffee shop "A Midnight summer's dream" didn't last long. Probably because customers were put off by the bodegas and groups of men hanging out just across the street. Its the same way with getting people moving in. It does not appear the new buildings that went up seem all that occupied.
And as I walked by the building at Post+Union the other day it smelled of urine in front. Security needs to address problems with the men loitering in front of their building, as well as the village code enforcement ticketing people urinating in public.
Long Island has a shortage of housing for young people, as reasonable homes get knocked down to build more McMansions. Here in Westbury, as well as in New Cassel, exists a solution to the problem. The only thing that the towns and villages need to do is make it more appealing.
To the Village's credit they are having concerts in the new Piazza at Post+Maple....it's a start. The next step would be an ordinance stating store signs and awnings must be in english. Often they are the first thing people look at when passing through town. Sure the buildings look newer as their storefronts got renovated, but it's going to mean nothing if the signs are in a foreign language people dont understand.

Old 07-17-2008, 10:02 PM

48 posts, read 137,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I actually agree with you here. But what is going on in New Cassel now will not be the answer to the areas problems. The rooming houses need to go, the bodegas (like Stop1,etc) need to go as well. and like you said there should be parks and amenities there. Get rid of the bodegas and the "like" and young professionals will feel more comfortable living in New Cassel. Perhaps even build an LIRR station there.
As I've said before the Village of Westbury also needs to appeal to young people. The bodegas have to go, I'd rather see coffee shops, bakeries, and mainstream eateries replace the bodegas. The condo projects were supposed to do that, but the coffee shop "A Midnight summer's dream" didn't last long. Probably because customers were put off by the bodegas and groups of men hanging out just across the street. Its the same way with getting people moving in. It does not appear the new buildings that went up seem all that occupied.
And as I walked by the building at Post+Union the other day it smelled of urine in front. Security needs to address problems with the men loitering in front of their building, as well as the village code enforcement ticketing people urinating in public.
Long Island has a shortage of housing for young people, as reasonable homes get knocked down to build more McMansions. Here in Westbury, as well as in New Cassel, exists a solution to the problem. The only thing that the towns and villages need to do is make it more appealing.
To the Village's credit they are having concerts in the new Piazza at Post+Maple....it's a start. The next step would be an ordinance stating store signs and awnings must be in english. Often they are the first thing people look at when passing through town. Sure the buildings look newer as their storefronts got renovated, but it's going to mean nothing if the signs are in a foreign language people dont understand.
You can't tear down all the bodegas on Prospect ave. I understand wanting to bring in new young professionals but people that already live here like bodegas because they are simple and extremely affordable. If you take out some bodegas and replace them with eateries and leave others, than its a win win situation for everyone

Old 07-17-2008, 10:30 PM

I haven't found bodegas cheaper, they actually seem more expensive. And the C-Town is like a bodega but just abit larger, and they are expensive. They want $1.09 for a gallon of water with the cheapest brand, which they are often out of, then you have to pay $1.19. In Stop and Shop I can get a gallon of water for $.89. But I dont drive, so carrying all that on the bus aint realistic, I have to shop within walking distance. You cant take those little shopping carts on the bus, I tried that. And while I can handle pushing a cart within a town, going 3 miles to Stop and Shop is abit much. So people within a neighborhood who dont drive have to buy most of their heavy groceries in their neighborhood.
That's what bodegas count on, they can charge as much as they want, because most of the people who shop there walk and they have a "captive audience".
I think there was a book written called "The Poor Pay More". It's all about how these little bodegas and mini-marts (like C-Town) can get away with gouging customers because they dont drive (and thus have to shop in their neighborhood).
When my relative comes over we go to Stop and Shop and get alot of water.
20 cents may not seem like much difference but it adds up. And when you factor in that C-Town is always out of the cheaper brands, you frequently pay 30 cents or more per gallon of water. And this is just with water.
These bodegas and mini-marts are always located far away from supermarkets, no supermarkets are close to Prospect ave, the nearest one is the Stop and Shop on Old Country Rd in Hicksville. Or Associated on Old Country Road, though it is no longer a Waldbaums, and I dont consider Associated a very good supermarket chain (C-Town used to be an Associated).

Old 07-17-2008, 11:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,512,685 times
That new building on the corner of Brush Hollow and Prospect....is that condos? I drove passed there recently and it looked pretty nice. There are some other new mixed use buildings a little further east on Prospect that aren't bad either. I think the large number of light industrial properties off Old Country Road might put a lot of people off from New Cassel. That's the first thing you see when you come into town and it's right on top of a residential area. I know somebody that lived on Arlington, which is a pretty nice block...but once you get to it's northern end you've got a sand pit, manufacturing and semis roaring passed. Weird.

John - How would you feel if Westbury and New Cassel became very stylish, desirable places to live with excellent schools... but the demographics shifted towards even larger numbers of Spanish-speaking residents and all the store signs were in a language other than English?

Old 07-18-2008, 12:36 AM

48 posts, read 137,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That new building on the corner of Brush Hollow and Prospect....is that condos? I drove passed there recently and it looked pretty nice. There are some other new mixed use buildings a little further east on Prospect that aren't bad either. I think the large number of light industrial properties off Old Country Road might put a lot of people off from New Cassel. That's the first thing you see when you come into town and it's right on top of a residential area. I know somebody that lived on Arlington, which is a pretty nice block...but once you get to it's northern end you've got a sand pit, manufacturing and semis roaring passed. Weird.

John - How would you feel if Westbury and New Cassel became very stylish, desirable places to live with excellent schools... but the demographics shifted towards even larger numbers of Spanish-speaking residents and all the store signs were in a language other than English?

Site A, located at the corner of Prospect Avenue and Brush Hollow Road. The 56,063 square foot site, known as the "Gateway to New Cassel", is expected to be improved with a 4,500 square foot park overlooked by an 83,830 square foot mixed use building, composed of 64,430 square feet of residential space and 20,400 square foot of retail space. Residential space is expected to consist of 57 apartments, including 20 one-bedroom apartments renting for $942 per month, 33 two-bedroom apartments renting for $1,130 per month, and 4 three-bedroom apartments renting for $1,306 per month.

That should answer your question. The webiste I got that from was http://www.northhempstead.com/content/4244/4273.aspx. it has more inofrmation on the other buildings along Prospect ave and Union ave. And yea the ABC' blocks look like a nice area but MS-13 is over there in a small amount. Their whole territory is pretty much anything west of Grand Blvd.

And your question to John was a good one.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:21 PM

In response to SeanX4, I do not think it's possible to have a gentrified, affluent community without english being spoken, at least not here in the states. Generally people who move up the income ladder need to learn english to do so.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 PM

42 posts, read 148,151 times
One difference between "the village" and New Cassel is village taxes sigh
A village resident
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island