Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 03:33 PM

67 posts, read 165,879 times

Advertisements

Can afford the house and not the taxes. Damn the taxes are so high in most parts of Sufflok.....sorry just needed to vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 03:55 PM

29 posts, read 84,379 times
I completely agree. It's quite ridiculous.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM

628 posts, read 2,078,590 times
That's why the middle class is leaving NYC and Long Island region.

Old 07-15-2008, 06:33 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,470,736 times
So many people I know are packing up, selling their homes, and moving to places like FL, NC, SC, PA, etc..... The only thing that keeps me here is NYC.... I love NYC so much and I could never imagine living someplace where it would take me 3 hours or more to get to NYC.

I feel for the homeowners on LI.... I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have to pay mtgs, taxes, home maintenance, etc.....

Old 07-15-2008, 08:04 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times
The middle class can only leave for so long, at some point there's going to be no one to hold those important middle-class jobs. something's gotta give, it's impossible for an economy to survive without middle- and lower-class people doing the crap rich people pay them to.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
So many people I know are packing up, selling their homes, and moving to places like FL, NC, SC, PA, etc..... The only thing that keeps me here is NYC.... I love NYC so much and I could never imagine living someplace where it would take me 3 hours or more to get to NYC.

I feel for the homeowners on LI.... I can't imagine how difficult it must be to have to pay mtgs, taxes, home maintenance, etc.....

You're absolutely right. In a few months i'm moving to the Rochester area (western/upstate NY) and alot of my friends and co-workers left for SC,NC and FL. For me I wanted to be close to a major metropolitan area and now i'll have a new one. 20 minutes west of Rochester, it's beautiful but about 6 hour drive to NYC,or an hour by plane. Unfortunately our fearless leader has led us to this hell.Maybe people will wake up this time in November and vote for a Democrat instead. People have to realize that Repub's are mostly for the rich and Dem's are mostly for the working class. There is no perfect candidate but you have to show up and vote for the right one. I was born and lived in NYC for years and moved out to the island late 70's and loved it too but now it's too costly especially with children, and considering the school taxes you would think that our kids would have a better education then they currently do, and not cutting back on books too. It's a shame what this country has become---- we are the laughing stock of the world!!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 03:34 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Buy an old house that has had few if any additions beyond it's original footprint.....and bonus tax savings if it's in an incorporated village. Patchogue has some beauties with taxes under $3,000.00

Other incorporated villages around Suffolk have similar homes....but maybe not with taxes under three grand.

The problem that so often exists is a person will answer:

"Oh, I don't want an old house"
"I couldn't live in (enter village here) because (enter one or more of a million reasons here)"
"We have to be near my parents, far away from hers, less than a half hour from both our jobs, under two miles from a golf course, 2000 feet minimum from major power lines, etc. etc."
"And the taxes have to be under (enter amount here)"

Not saying this is necessarily you, but the more flexible one is the better their chances of finding what they want...

Old 07-18-2008, 05:49 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Unfortunately our fearless leader has led us to this hell.Maybe people will wake up this time in November and vote for a Democrat instead. People have to realize that Repub's are mostly for the rich and Dem's are mostly for the working class.
Wow, will you be in for a surprise. Taxes are high because people want their government to provide certain things for them and government will happily oblige. It's that way everywhere.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:05 PM

67 posts, read 165,879 times
I wish I was handy or hubby or had the money to pay someone to fix it up but we aren't...so in reality we need a move in ready....which always goes for top dollar

Old 07-19-2008, 09:30 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,753 times
The taxes on my house in St. James is approaching $20K.

But like the old saying goes: You made your bed, now sleep in it.

The fact that the idiots that vote in the tax and spend politicians are the ones to blame. When you vote for these school budgets that are nothing more than a blank check for the school districts to spend as much as possible, what do you expect?

I find it amazing that the HS scores are higher here in my city in Colorado, yet my taxes are only $650 on 30 acres with a 2000sqft house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island