Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 08:06 PM

186 posts, read 734,300 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We will be moving to LI next month for a job at North Shore LIJ. I wanted to get an idea about some good apartment rentals in the New Hyde Park area. It is ok to commute (drive) a little so anywhere around Great Neck, Manhasset, Bayside (Queens) etc would be alright. But I wanted to get some info. on some tried and tested rental apartments that we should look at.

Also, my wife will need to commute to NYC so some place close to LIRR/Subway...

Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM

Anyone? I am still confused about this...not sure if I HAVE to go through real estate agents or if I can directly contact the leasing offices at apartments.

Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
The only apartments in NHP would be those in private homes.

There are some rentals available in Glen Oaks. (They are garden apartments coops which people rent out). It is 2 minutes from LIJ, located just north of union tpke. Has express bus to Manhatten or bus to Union Tpke subway station. Can also look at Alley Park coop development. Same situation as above, just located a little further west from Glen Oaks on Union Tpke.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
The only apartments in NHP would be those in private homes.

There are some rentals available in Glen Oaks. (They are garden apartments coops which people rent out). It is 2 minutes from LIJ, located just north of union tpke. Has express bus to Manhatten or bus to Union Tpke subway station. Can also look at Alley Park coop development. Same situation as above, just located a little further west from Glen Oaks on Union Tpke.
Thank you for that information. I don't mind taking up anything within a few miles of the place, so all these options would surely work out. What is the best way to get in touch with people renting out at these co-ops you mentioned? Real estate agent or can I directly contact the leasing office?

Also, any recommendation for places like Floral Park, Bayside etc?

Old 07-21-2008, 07:33 PM

123 posts, read 580,067 times
call the leasing office itself.. wont hurt
and besides if u go through an agent u might have to pay a fee, usually they get one months rent cost as a fee.

Old 07-21-2008, 07:57 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,144,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
Thank you for that information. I don't mind taking up anything within a few miles of the place, so all these options would surely work out. What is the best way to get in touch with people renting out at these co-ops you mentioned? Real estate agent or can I directly contact the leasing office?

Also, any recommendation for places like Floral Park, Bayside etc?
Floral Park has Flowertime Gardens, also a coop that does some rentals. You can walk to LIRR station 2 blocks away. To get to LIJ, just drive noth on Little Neck PKWY, take Right onto UNion Tpke, Left onto Lakeview. 10 minutes tops.

I think LIJ has some housing available in Glen Oaks, depending upon your position. Check with Human Resources

Bayside, I'm not as familiar with, sorry

Old 07-21-2008, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 5,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
Hi,

We will be moving to LI next month for a job at North Shore LIJ. I wanted to get an idea about some good apartment rentals in the New Hyde Park area. It is ok to commute (drive) a little so anywhere around Great Neck, Manhasset, Bayside (Queens) etc would be alright. But I wanted to get some info. on some tried and tested rental apartments that we should look at.

Also, my wife will need to commute to NYC so some place close to LIRR/Subway...

Any ideas, anyone?
Thanks!
Glen Oaks is great! Call miller&miller century 21. I live there and love it, we have allot of residents from ns LIJ.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:53 AM

I looked up those places and I might be visiting the area next weekend. I want to compile a list of at least 4-5 apartment places to visit, so that my trip isn't a waste.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for decent apartments (specific names) around NHP, Great Neck, Glen Oaks, Floral Park etc?

Thanks much!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Floral Park has Flowertime Gardens, also a coop that does some rentals. You can walk to LIRR station 2 blocks away. To get to LIJ, just drive noth on Little Neck PKWY, take Right onto UNion Tpke, Left onto Lakeview. 10 minutes tops.

I think LIJ has some housing available in Glen Oaks, depending upon your position. Check with Human Resources

Bayside, I'm not as familiar with, sorry
I wasn't able to find anything about "Flowertime Gardens". Can you possibly check the name or give me the URL to their website or RE Agent's #? How about the address, may be?

I appreciate all the help!

Old 07-24-2008, 01:30 PM

536 posts, read 2,348,253 times
A drive around Glen Oaks, Bellerose, Oakland Gardens, etc you'll see at least a dozen of these garden apartment communities, they're all over the place in this part of Queens. I personally do not know which ones are still rental and which ones have converted entirely to co-op (and/or really strict about subletting), however. It's a general area bounded by the LIE to the north, Lakeville Rd to the east, Hillside Ave to the south and Bell Blvd to the West. That forms a little box on the map with a really high concentration of these types of places. These types of developments are easy to pick out on Google Earth, too, because they oftentimes defy the rest of the Queens grid.

Aside from those places, you'd probably be dealing with private homeowners in order to rent in the area, which is a whole other ball of wax and I'd recommend an ad listing search for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island