Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 08:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,615 times

Advertisements

My man and I were just talking about the whipped cream birthday cake he used to get from Georges and wondered if it still existed. When I googled it we found this blog. Nothing compares to the delicious treats we used to get every Sunday morning after waiting on the long line with my dad. I loved the.Russian coffee cake and have never been able to find another bakery that can compare. We moved away from RVC in the mid 60s and Georges was one of the things that we missed the most!

If anyone knows of a bakery that uses George's yummy recipes, I'd love to know where it is.

Jahns was another great memory. Who could forget sharing the "kitchen sink"!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 2,502 times
Default Georges Bakery in RVC

I remember Georges (I grew up in Merrick). In fact one of my childhood friends was Paul Stratigos who was the older son of George Stratigos, the owner and baker at Georges. That was in the late 50's up until the mid-sixties.

Old 02-10-2017, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,370 times
I worked at George's Pastry Shop in Rockville Centre from 1967 to 1970, while in high school and college. At the time it was the biggest retail bakery in the area and on holidays there would be more than 100 customers in the store to buy baked goods. The baked goods were great, but the decorated cakes and wedding cakes were unparalleled. I learned so much there that I have made wedding cakes for all of my family members and my own kids. I even met my wife there - that was a Best Buy. Unfortunately, after the founding owner died, his son and son-in-law could not run the bakery in the same way he did, do it wound up being closed by the government for non-paymen of taxes. What a shame!

Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,277 times
My grandmother lived in Oceanside and I LOVED going to Georges bakery. We would park behind it and come in the back door and the aromas were wonderful. I would be so excited to see the wonderful treats tied up with chord in the boxes we took home. I lived in Sayville and would go to Swanns bakery from time to time at the fork in the road at Montauk highway. They made wonderful cakes. I also loved Frtizes bakery in Sayville which is still there. I am 68 and remember it all.

Old 07-27-2017, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 2,212 times
George's Bakery was owned by Dean Skelos' grandfather. Skelos's mother (who died at age 28) was George's daughter. Skelos worked there as a kid. I remember going to George's for crumbcake on Sunday mornings after Mass at St. Agnes. I also remember going on Mondays for "day-old". Their hard rolls were wonderful on the day baked but not so good a day later! My mother knew the family because Dean was born premature and my mother was he "premie" nurse. He was a baby when his mother died and was raised by his grandparents. The Front street bakery, which is still there, was a competitor. I remember their cakes being better than George's. Does anyone remember where Ebingers in RVC was?

Old 10-06-2018, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,002 times
The crunchy chocolate cake that Ali mentions was called a Success Cake. It was hazelnut meringue layers that gave it its crunch. I have duplicated the taste but not the look. As I recall it had no cake batter in it; just dense dark chocolate layers of deliciousness and hazelnut meringue. They were small cakes 6 or 7 inch diameter. But a highlight of epicurean delight

Old 06-01-2019, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,066 times
Georges back in 50s 60s.jahns kitchen sink.ice skating on pond next to hemp lake park.on peninsula blvd.hickey field LL.

Old 06-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Default Ebingers front st

Ebingers vaguely remember.front st bakery don't and my grandfather had tailorshop in 30s and 40s on front st just off no.village ave.thanx for info on skelos family.

Old 06-01-2019, 07:52 PM

Default Don't remember much

Mom always went to Georges but can't remember any one thing.I guess birthday cakes.I'm sure I went in there a lot also but cant remember.

Old 06-02-2019, 05:19 AM

37 posts, read 49,655 times
my sister worked at George's in high school and at the end of the day they would let her bring home a bag full of stuff that hadn't sold. Man that stuff was yummy!!! I miss those traditional type bakeries--are there any of those left?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island