Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 02:06 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times

Advertisements

We're considering moving into the city for the next year, only because we want to rent and Queens has much more choice.

Brooklyn is a little too congested for us, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 05:43 AM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times
The only part of Brooklyn I would live in would be Greenpoint.... One stop into Manhattan on the "L". Unfortunately, people have "discovered" this and Greenpoint, once a beautiful little immigrant (Polish) community is now becoming a Yuppie (yuck) haven. Developers are buying up all the buildings, land, and warehouses and making them into condos, coops, and lofts and charging a fortune for everything.

Other parts of Bklyn (bay ridge, etc) are much too suburban for my taste.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:37 AM

353 posts, read 1,007,180 times
I'm a former Long Islander that moved into the city almost 20 years ago. I've lived in some nice sections: Battery Park City, Carroll Gardens in Brooklyn and now near Gramercy Park in Manhattan. If you can afford it, you can live comfortably in NYC. That is the catch. After elementary school, the school test scores plummet. I'm not willing to pay $30,000/yr for a private school so we will be moving to a good school district in the suburbs within the next few years. On top of that, the real estate prices are stil very lofty. I don't know about rental costs but in Manhattan and the nicer parts of Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights, Cobble Hill, Carrol Gardens, Park Slope, etc) you are paying close to $1000/sq foot for an apartment. A 1000 square foot apartment in good condition would cost at least $1,000,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: