Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:09 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Elmont isn't all that great of a town.

I think areas like Massapequa, Bethpage, Merrick are a lot better with much better schools. And, with your husband being a pilot & you being a pharmacist, you can afford even nicer areas like Great Neck, Manhasset, or any of the other beautiful North Shore communities.
The areas consisting of better educated, professional types generally tend to be more accepting of people of all makes and models as opposed to those more blue collar.

I grew up in Massapequa (North Massapequa, Plainedge Schools) and the area was racist. There was a cross burned on the lawn of a black family several blocks from the house I grew up in. It was an isolated incident in the mid-late 1970's but it did happen. The area hasn't had a very large demographic change. If someone would post the data again about the least segregated districts, Plainedge was amongst the whitest of the white.

Massapequa south of 27A might be more welcoming of an interracial marriage between two professionals.

I'm out in Suffolk now, and would suggest my area if you decide to look in Suffolk. There are people from all over the world and all over the US. It is a world away from where I grew up and the experience has made my children better people for it. They aren't growing up around the hate and prejudice I did.

fopt65's sentiment is charming and generally holds true, but believe me, where I grew up, it wouldn't have flown then and won't fly now. The people who ultimately bought my family's home were Italians white flighting it from Baldwin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 07:30 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
Elmont isn't the safest, but the areas surrounding Elmont are nice and diverse too. Check out Valley Stream, Lynbrook, and Franklin Square. They are close to your family in ELmont, but much safer.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:59 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tercsi View Post
My husband is from Eastern Europe and my family is from Haiti. I was born in N.Y. We are middle class. I am a pharmacist and my husband is a pilot. We prefer a town in Nassau county, with good schools and safe. We're thinking of Elmont, most of my family lives there, but I'm not sure of the school district.
Sounds like you have an upper middle class income level. Port Washington would be a good choice. There are quite a few upper middle class bi-racial families in Port.

Many communities are diverse because they are temporarily in state of transition from one dominant race to another. Port is not like that. It has been diverse for a number of years and continues to attract white residents in equal numbers to minorities.

In my neighborhood alone I know of an Italian-Peurto Rican couple, Black-Jewish Couple, Hispanic-Irish couple, and Japanese-Ukranian Couple. You can't get any more diverse that that!

Old 04-02-2011, 09:20 AM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The areas consisting of better educated, professional types generally tend to be more accepting of people of all makes and models as opposed to those more blue collar.
100% agree.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:41 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Massapequa is perfect for an interracial couple. Rocky Point is very good too.

And thanks for resurrecting an old thread..it breathes life into this bulletin board

Old 04-02-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Massapequa is perfect for an interracial couple. Rocky Point is very good too.

And thanks for resurrecting an old thread..it breathes life into this bulletin board
I was in Massapequa a few hours ago. 107 straight down to 27A. Not one black face. Not one brown face. White, white, white.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:33 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I was in Massapequa a few hours ago. 107 straight down to 27A. Not one black face. Not one brown face. White, white, white.
I was in Wyandach a few hours ago. Not one white face. Not one Italian olive face. Not one Irishy pale face. Black. Black. Black.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I was in Wyandach a few hours ago. Not one white face. Not one Italian olive face. Not one Irishy pale face. Black. Black. Black.
You should have invited some of the Wyandanchians to your home for a garden party. Mix things up a bit in your neck of the woods. Massapequa could use a little diversity other than the lawn jockeys.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:17 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
I love these threads. Nothing saying bigotry then assumed bigotry.

Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 PM

581 posts, read 1,244,249 times
Here we go again.

OP, one thing you will learn is everyone here thinks where they live is the best neighborhood.

I live in Elmont and if you have family here and want to live here, by all means go ahead. Its safe here. Easy access to the highways. I love the area and is my first choice when im ready to purchase. And the schools are good. Hell, don't put too much weight on the SCHOOL because a lot of the people here try to send their kids in a GOOD school because they refuse to be a parent. A student's grade is a reflection on the household they live in, not the school.

One downside to Elmont and that is the house are like a garage on a posted stamp. So if you are looking for something breath taking, you may not find it here.

I would like to know what people use to determine if a neighborhood is safe. For me, its a run down neighborhood with gun shots everyday. And that is not Elmont. I have been living here since 2004 and I go to work all hours of the day and night. At night here, you can drop a pin and here it. The only thing you might here is raccoon going through your garbage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island