Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What's that old saying..."takes one to know one".
Would it be considered racist to write

"Pot calling the kettle black?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 02:53 PM

113 posts, read 318,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
WOW...

We have been looking for our starter home in NJ but decided to give LI a shot. We currently live in Forest Hills. I work in the city and wife stays home with our 14month baby. We started our search in LI a couple of weeks ago and really liked a home in Baldwin over the weekend. I dont know if its in North or South Baldwin, its off intersection of Grand Ave & Merrick Rd, just off Silver Lake Park. The neighborhood looks nice and quiet around 12noon. The immediate neighbours are a old white couple & a black family. We are comfortable with any community as long as they respect us for who we are and are courteous and friendly.

But after reading some of your posts, I am really confused if Baldwin is even worth looking at. My friends who are born & brought up in LI advised it to be a nice neighorhood. The schools are rated high (we are concerned only of elementary) on greatschools.org but I see folks here even bashing the schools. People are mentioning gangs, rape, robbery, what the heck, LOL.

I would appreciate if someone could give me an honest opinion about the area. I mean every area will have petty thefts, Forest Hills has cases of mugging & car tire thefts, but overall it is an amazing neighorhood.

Please advise, Thanks !
That part of Baldwin is decent. It is almost bordering Baldwin Harbor, but is just north of it. Just this past winter I saw a group of both blacks and whites Christmas carrolling through the neighborhood. Maybe deepen your search in Baldwin and look in Baldwin Harbor, if you can afford to. It is slightly more expensive.

The only issue with Merrick road in Baldwin is that if you drive eastbound on it you will land in Freeport. That part of Freeport is not too good.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:21 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
WOW...

We have been looking for our starter home in NJ but decided to give LI a shot. We currently live in Forest Hills. I work in the city and wife stays home with our 14month baby. We started our search in LI a couple of weeks ago and really liked a home in Baldwin over the weekend. I dont know if its in North or South Baldwin, its off intersection of Grand Ave & Merrick Rd, just off Silver Lake Park. The neighborhood looks nice and quiet around 12noon. The immediate neighbours are a old white couple & a black family. We are comfortable with any community as long as they respect us for who we are and are courteous and friendly.

But after reading some of your posts, I am really confused if Baldwin is even worth looking at. My friends who are born & brought up in LI advised it to be a nice neighorhood. The schools are rated high (we are concerned only of elementary) on greatschools.org but I see folks here even bashing the schools. People are mentioning gangs, rape, robbery, what the heck, LOL.

I would appreciate if someone could give me an honest opinion about the area. I mean every area will have petty thefts, Forest Hills has cases of mugging & car tire thefts, but overall it is an amazing neighorhood.

Please advise, Thanks !
what did you think of the commercial strip along Grand Ave. from Sunrise Highway to Merrick Road (not far from Silver Lake Park)? IMO, many people would consider it a reason not to avoid the area.

Old 04-05-2011, 03:56 PM

330 posts, read 726,161 times
Associated supermarket on Grand Ave, close to the parkway, has a nice fresh fish market. Good selection. Although that might technically be considered South Hempstead.

Old 04-05-2011, 04:57 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,708 times
OP, i think you would have more issues in a predominantly black neighborhood being an interracial couple than in a somewhat forward thinking, cultured and educated predominantly white neighborhood personally.

Old 04-05-2011, 05:19 PM

257 posts, read 750,961 times
I would avoid Baldwin if you are looking for a good school district...I would look at Lynbrook, Mineola, Esat Rockaway. Nice towns, good schools and close to the city, and IMO a more "open minded" population.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:34 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Associated supermarket on Grand Ave, close to the parkway, has a nice fresh fish market. Good selection. Although that might technically be considered South Hempstead.
If that Associated is at 1197 Grand Avenue, then it is in Baldwin.

Old 04-05-2011, 08:43 PM

68 posts, read 125,965 times
i would consider montclair, NJ. nicer than any town on long island and worlds mroe progressive if you ask me. Ive lived in queens and NJ not to mention many other places..... i have no idea about the commute to NYC but i know many people commute to nyc every morning from montclair

Old 04-05-2011, 08:58 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,708 times
^good idea, if i wasn;'t so stuck on li, we'd be living there

Old 04-05-2011, 09:13 PM

401 posts, read 944,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post
Sounds great in an ideal world, but we are talking about Long Island. This won't exactly bode well for many of the communities here, black or white. I wish something different could be said, but it is what it is.

For some communities, they don't even want to see another person of another race; now you're talking about another person of another race being married to someone of another race - you're really asking for the ignoramus to come out.
I understand what you are saying. I am the second half of an interracial couple with a child. I have never thought twice about where I wanted to live or anything else. I understand there are bigots everywhere. But bigots are not only about race. Basically, they are ignorant people who cannot get beyond their two inches of brain matter. I never saw that as "my" problem. I am not naive(I'm not saying you are calling me naive), I am just for living your life without worrying about the bigots in the world. If it isn't the color of your skin, then it will be your religion, your hair color, your sex and so on and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island