Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 09:23 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSearchInNJ View Post
WOW...

We have been looking for our starter home in NJ but decided to give LI a shot. We currently live in Forest Hills. I work in the city and wife stays home with our 14month baby. We started our search in LI a couple of weeks ago and really liked a home in Baldwin over the weekend. I don't know if its in North or South Baldwin, its off intersection of Grand Ave & Merrick Rd, just off Silver Lake Park. The neighborhood looks nice and quiet around 12noon. The immediate neighbours are a old white couple & a black family. We are comfortable with any community as long as they respect us for who we are and are courteous and friendly.

But after reading some of your posts, I am really confused if Baldwin is even worth looking at. My friends who are born & brought up in LI advised it to be a nice neighorhood. The schools are rated high (we are concerned only of elementary) on greatschools.org but I see folks here even bashing the schools. People are mentioning gangs, rape, robbery, what the heck, LOL.

I would appreciate if someone could give me an honest opinion about the area. I mean every area will have petty thefts, Forest Hills has cases of mugging & car tire thefts, but overall it is an amazing neighorhood.

Please advise, Thanks !
I think that area of Baldwin (Silver Lake Park) is pretty. You shouldn't have any problems being an interracial family there. You will also be very close to excellent restaurants in downtown Rockville Centre. The elementary schools should be fine and if you want to send your kid to Catholic school, it is just two blocks down the road...and working in Manhattan, you will love the proximity to the LIRR. BTW, the public library is awesome.

However, be aware that Baldwin has been suffering from white flight for a number of years now - although the demographics shouldn't bother you as an interracial family, it has affected the relative property values in the area. As prices drop drastically lower than in neighboring communities, more families from lower socio-economic families are moving in.

The "downtown" area has been suffering for quite some time. The rundown, sparcely-populated storefronts are amassing an unusually high number of storefront churches - all-in-all adding up to a heavy tax burden for residential Baldwin homeowners to bear. As far as crime, I can't attest to it being greater in Baldwin than in other places - in the years I lived there, I was never a victim of a crime. However, I found that every time I read Newsday, Baldwin was always being mentioned as the locale of a crime, or the home of some criminal. It got tiresome.

I think if you go in with all the facts and a good attitude, you and your family will be very happy in the Silver Lakes area of Baldwin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 01:55 AM

372 posts, read 740,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post

The only issue with Merrick road in Baldwin is that if you drive eastbound on it you will land in Freeport. That part of Freeport is not too good.

Not true. Almost the whole west side of Freeport is nice, the NW part is very nice. Generally the parts of Freeport that are considered not good are the areas east of ocean Ave and north of atlantic.

And I've never heard of anything bad happening to someone driving through Freeport.

As for the OP's question, I agree with those that suggested Baldwin, Port Washington, Valley Stream.

I'd also suggest the NW part of freeport also known as Stearns park. It looks like a million dollar neighborhood imo, and its still diverse. Oh and most of that area goes to Baldwin Schools.

West Hempstead is Nice as well

Old 04-06-2011, 08:27 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
this couple presumably makes 200+k a year together, I'd suggest port

Old 04-06-2011, 08:39 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
I love how people just assume that if your black or part of a interracial marriage then Baldwin is the place for you Just because a place is changing demographically from one race to another doesn't mean you'll be more accepted from one or both races. I could see how people could make this assumption but it's simply not always true. And I have experienced this first hand from both perspectives, the interracial family and living in Baldwin.

I have also seen this first hand being with my wife for almost 20 years. There is more acceptance now then it was years ago. I see this change more in the south then in the north.

Research has shown that interracial marriage is
more common among the middle class and those
who are more educated (holding a college degree or
higher). Higher education likely increases exposure
to individuals from other races/ethnicities, as well as
the idea of and examples of intermarriages

Live were ever you would like...... education, socioeconomic status, age, race, religion, location and politics all could have an influence but remember this...There are closed-minded, uneducated, closet racists everywhere in this country.

Last edited by BigMike50; 04-06-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 09:54 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
^yes, it is insulting they keep directing the op to predominantly black areas.

I will tell you, my neighborhood is slowly becoming more integrated and i found it funny on career day that the union guys and such who are so horrified at the prospect of continued integration were upstaged by the sole black mom who showed up — and who was a corporate lawyer.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:01 PM

113 posts, read 318,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnalsI gnoL View Post

Not true. Almost the whole west side of Freeport is nice, the NW part is very nice. Generally the parts of Freeport that are considered not good are the areas east of ocean Ave and north of atlantic.

And I've never heard of anything bad happening to someone driving through Freeport.

As for the OP's question, I agree with those that suggested Baldwin, Port Washington, Valley Stream.

I'd also suggest the NW part of freeport also known as Stearns park. It looks like a million dollar neighborhood imo, and its still diverse. Oh and most of that area goes to Baldwin Schools.

West Hempstead is Nice as well
Agree with everything you've said above. The exception still is that Merrick Road going through Freeport in some parts is NOT nice. Main Street and Merrick Road is not the safest location (nor is Guy Lombardo and Merrick), and you would be there within a short drive down Merrick from Baldwin. I'm not suggesting that area to an interracial family, or any family on this board for that matter. It actually also goes with your "north of atlantic" not good comment. But I do agree there are other parts of Freeport which are beautiful (no matter how bad its rep is). Again, I think the poster should look into Baldwin Harbor, as it is more of a middle class neighborhood and is a melting-pot.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:53 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County

Quote:
Again, I think the poster should look into Baldwin Harbor, as it is more of a middle class neighborhood and is a melting-pot.

A map of the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor in the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/45/Baldwin-harbor-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Baldwin Harbor is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor have a "Baldwin, NY 11510" and "Freeport, NY 11520" mailing address.

Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 PM

113 posts, read 318,071 times
^^^Baldwin Harbor might be located in Baldwin or in Freeport, but I will tell you one thing, the place looks miles apart. Baldwin Harbor is a completely different neighborhood, socioeconomically and physically.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
^^^Baldwin Harbor might be located in Baldwin or in Freeport ...
Huh?

The Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor is south and west of the Hamlet of Baldwin and the Village of Freeport, respectively, and no part of the Hamlet of Baldwin Harbor is in the Hamlet of Baldwin or in the Village of Freeport.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
^yes, it is insulting they keep directing the op to predominantly black areas.

I will tell you, my neighborhood is slowly becoming more integrated and i found it funny on career day that the union guys and such who are so horrified at the prospect of continued integration were upstaged by the sole black mom who showed up — and who was a corporate lawyer.
Which harkens back to what I wrote a lot earlier in this thread -- August 2008 to be exact.

Quote:
The areas consisting of better educated, professional types generally tend to be more accepting of people of all makes and models as opposed to those more blue collar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island