Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:50 PM

3,921 posts, read 9,128,287 times

Advertisements

Actually, there are some areas that are almost completely evenly mixed between Whites, Blacks, and Latinos. South Ozone Park is one of those areas.

There are also some areas where 2 races make up the majority of the people there. Northeast Queens has a lot of Whites and Asians, and Elmhurst/East Elmhurst has a lot of Hispanics and Asians.

I definitely wouldn't say it is as segregated as Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estive View Post
This thread has been going on for quite some time ... I wonder if the OP has already bought a house by now?
The OP only made 2 posts, both to begin threads: this thread on July 31, 2008 and one other, https://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...tampa-bay.html, 11 days earlier on July 20, 2008.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:15 PM

253 posts, read 808,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
The OP only made 2 posts, both to begin threads: this thread on July 31, 2008 and one other, https://www.city-data.com/forum/tampa...tampa-bay.html, 11 days earlier on July 20, 2008.
I hate it when people start a thread and don't post again. Bad online etiquette.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:21 AM

113 posts, read 318,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by checkmatechamp13 View Post
Actually, there are some areas that are almost completely evenly mixed between Whites, Blacks, and Latinos. South Ozone Park is one of those areas.

There are also some areas where 2 races make up the majority of the people there. Northeast Queens has a lot of Whites and Asians, and Elmhurst/East Elmhurst has a lot of Hispanics and Asians.

I definitely wouldn't say it is as segregated as Long Island.
While true in some parts, not so in others. South Ozone Park does not really have any white sections left (Ozone Park does though). The overwhelming majority now is more West Indian, whether they be black or Indian Guyanese. My father has lived in this section of Queens for 30 years and he has seen a huge transformation to a Guyanese area. Walter: I know Thomaston is not officially a town.

The areas that I was talking about that are still segregated are Howard Beach, which is mostly white; and parts of Jamaica, which has a majority black area and another part which has a majority hispanic area. Forest Hills, a majority white Jewish area; and Richmond Hill, a majority West Indian area. So, Queens is as diverse as lets say a Brooklyn in some areas but others, especially eastern Queens, is as diverse (read - segregated) as some areas in Nassau. Bayside, with its Asians and whites, is in keeping with some of the Northwestern towns in Nassau, such as Thomaston.

Old 04-23-2011, 06:23 AM

113 posts, read 318,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Pullo View Post
I hate it when people start a thread and don't post again. Bad online etiquette.

...just bad on-line manners. I wonder what college will be the first to offer a course in on-line etiquette. That is of course if one is not already offered.

Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 AM

194 posts, read 444,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtracey View Post
...just bad on-line manners. I wonder what college will be the first to offer a course in on-line etiquette. That is of course if one is not already offered.
As part of their three week free orientation program to determine if one is academically worthy to attend their prestigious school (sarcasm dripping), the University of Phoenix uses one week of that time teaching everyone to play nice in the sandbox when using the internet forums needed for online learning.

Old 05-20-2019, 04:45 PM

123 posts, read 250,717 times
resurrecting an old thread here....Im a white man married to a black woman (both city workers)....currently living in queens but hoping to move to long island (western nassau county) within next few years....we have a 3 year old with 1 on the way....trying to find a nice neighborhood that is somewhat diverse with good schools.....we both drive to work in queens....we have a good nest egg to use as a down payment so our budget is around $850k.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:52 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
With that budget, you'll be fine no matter where you decide on. In my opinion, Long Islanders discriminate more on income and social status then they do on race. In other words, if you can afford the neighborhood most people won't have a problem. And, if they do, it's their problem not yours.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:06 PM

123 posts, read 250,717 times
yes I tend to agree, however, my wife is a teacher and she feels it's important that our kids are not the only (half) black kids in the school. we know it won't be 50% black, but alot of schools/neighborhoods we've looked at our 1% or thereabouts.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:47 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
You may want to take a look at Valley Stream or Rockville Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island