Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-25-2019, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Between the Bays
10,786 posts, read 11,318,817 times
Reputation: 5272

Advertisements

The Mastics!!! We got more interracial families than any neighborhood in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-26-2019, 11:28 PM
 
401 posts, read 945,014 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. I can't speak for that town specifically but blue collar working class type areas are usually the most close-minded and the most threatened by 'outsiders'. Most people in these types of places haven't quite achieved the amount of success that they've wanted to in life; so they will probably have a chip on their shoulder if they see that you're more well-off than them. I've seen this play out with my own two eyes over and over again.

OP - You're best off sticking to the affluent liberal areas of the North Shore if you're budget permits it. These days, they're already racially diverse anyways since most have large and growing populations of Indians and East Asians. Since there's various phenotypes there, you probably wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb like you would being there in the 1980's.

Since people in these towns are generally higher up on the socioeconomic ladder, most are too involved in their careers to bother you. And most have their reputations on the lines if they were caught blatantly discriminating against anyone.



Blue Collar working class are usually the most close minded?? Does this not reek of bias? What a broad brush you use to paint! I moved from blue collar class to white collar class. What didn't change was my attitude toward any people. I guess the small blue collar class people have not achieved the enlightened state that you have, being that you are a person of class and success. I guess I feel this way due to the chip on my shoulder.



I have been at various ends of the socioeconomic/education ladder. One thing that has not changed is the faith in all kinds of people. I am not better than anyone else because of my education, and character is not derived from education. Your post reeks of elitism. In addition, to suggest that people higher on the socioeconomic ladder are too busy to bother with racism is utterly ridiculous. You should knock yourself down from your pedestal and get to know "real" people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2019, 05:34 AM
 
1,712 posts, read 2,909,160 times
Reputation: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by kajimenez View Post
Blue Collar working class are usually the most close minded?? Does this not reek of bias? What a broad brush you use to paint! I moved from blue collar class to white collar class. What didn't change was my attitude toward any people. I guess the small blue collar class people have not achieved the enlightened state that you have, being that you are a person of class and success. I guess I feel this way due to the chip on my shoulder.



I have been at various ends of the socioeconomic/education ladder. One thing that has not changed is the faith in all kinds of people. I am not better than anyone else because of my education, and character is not derived from education. Your post reeks of elitism. In addition, to suggest that people higher on the socioeconomic ladder are too busy to bother with racism is utterly ridiculous. You should knock yourself down from your pedestal and get to know "real" people.
Its great that you're not close-minded. I never suggested that ALL people in these towns were close-minded. I'm suggesting that the odds of being accepted in these towns as somebody who is "very different from the norm" is lower. However, it is of course still possible because attitudes can vary on a block by block basis within a neighborhood.

Blue-collar working class type areas usually have the most close-minded attitudes. Traditionally, these types of areas have had the most racial tensions in recent history. Many of them feel like diversity is something that's shoved down their throats and into their faces by "the liberal elite". People are constantly worried about minorities taking over and most also feel that immigrants are taking their jobs which adds to the underlying tensions in these already-struggling communities.

These areas also skew heavily Republican; and this political party supports old-school and non-progressive idealogies (including policies that are blatantly & indirectly biased). This is not to bash Republicans; this is just their platform taken (which almost everyone on both sides would agree with). Trump's base is literally this demographic!

Couple all of the above with low education levels and now you have a crapstorm of ignorance headed your way! (If you're an "outsider")

Liberals can sometimes be problematic too - i'm not gonna sit here and deny that. However, if you're an interracial couple (like the OP) then I strongly believe that you will have the best odds of being accepted in well-off, highly-educated and "live-and-let-live" liberal areas. Anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 05-27-2019 at 06:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2019, 04:09 AM
 
151 posts, read 130,142 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Its great that you're not close-minded. I never suggested that ALL people in these towns were close-minded. I'm suggesting that the odds of being accepted in these towns as somebody who is "very different from the norm" is lower. However, it is of course still possible because attitudes can vary on a block by block basis within a neighborhood.

Blue-collar working class type areas usually have the most close-minded attitudes. Traditionally, these types of areas have had the most racial tensions in recent history. Many of them feel like diversity is something that's shoved down their throats and into their faces by "the liberal elite". People are constantly worried about minorities taking over and most also feel that immigrants are taking their jobs which adds to the underlying tensions in these already-struggling communities.

These areas also skew heavily Republican; and this political party supports old-school and non-progressive idealogies (including policies that are blatantly & indirectly biased). This is not to bash Republicans; this is just their platform taken (which almost everyone on both sides would agree with). Trump's base is literally this demographic!

Couple all of the above with low education levels and now you have a crapstorm of ignorance headed your way! (If you're an "outsider")

Liberals can sometimes be problematic too - i'm not gonna sit here and deny that. However, if you're an interracial couple (like the OP) then I strongly believe that you will have the best odds of being accepted in well-off, highly-educated and "live-and-let-live" liberal areas. Anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me.
Island Park residents think their neighborhood went to trash after the village got busted for fair housing violations, but they still don't leave their area.

Another point worth mentioning is that many south shore towns are not accepting of Muslims either, even if they're white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 01:52 PM
 
123 posts, read 250,770 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
It wouldn't surprise me. I can't speak for that town specifically but blue collar working class type areas are usually the most close-minded and the most threatened by 'outsiders'. Most people in these types of places haven't quite achieved the amount of success that they've wanted to in life; so they will probably have a chip on their shoulder if they see that you're more well-off than them. I've seen this play out with my own two eyes over and over again.

OP - You're best off sticking to the affluent liberal areas of the North Shore if you're budget permits it. These days, they're already racially diverse anyways since most have large and growing populations of Indians and East Asians. Since there's various phenotypes there, you probably wouldn't stand out like a sore thumb like you would being there in the 1980's.

Since people in these towns are generally higher up on the socioeconomic ladder, most are too involved in their careers to bother you. And most have their reputations on the lines if they were caught blatantly discriminating against anyone.
any particular north shore neighborhoods that we should look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 02:56 PM
 
384 posts, read 434,886 times
Reputation: 491
Look at the school make up and get a clue from there.
Your wife is 100% right.
Best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2019, 03:52 PM
 
151 posts, read 130,142 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by kochise View Post
any particular north shore neighborhoods that we should look at?
Great Neck or Port Washington
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM
 
123 posts, read 250,770 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by olympicsos View Post
Great Neck or Port Washington
We took a ride to port washington last week just to check out the town and it seems very nice. does anyone have any further insight as to whether this might be a good option for an interracial family?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2019, 01:06 PM
 
384 posts, read 434,886 times
Reputation: 491
According to the 2010 census, the racial breakdown is as follow:
As of the 2010 census,[8] the population was 82.2% White 74.7% Non-Hispanic White, 2.4% African American, 0.2% Native American, 8% Asian, 0.0% Pacific Islander, 4.8% from other races, and 2.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino people of any race were 13.4% of the population. The median income for households in Port Washington, New York is $117,647, while the mean household income is $174,069, excluding the data from the extremely wealthy hamlet of Sands Point.[9]

We have family living there, it is becoming more and more diverse there. It would be a good choice for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-19-2019, 11:03 PM
 
401 posts, read 945,014 times
Reputation: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Its great that you're not close-minded. I never suggested that ALL people in these towns were close-minded. I'm suggesting that the odds of being accepted in these towns as somebody who is "very different from the norm" is lower. However, it is of course still possible because attitudes can vary on a block by block basis within a neighborhood.

Blue-collar working class type areas usually have the most close-minded attitudes. Traditionally, these types of areas have had the most racial tensions in recent history. Many of them feel like diversity is something that's shoved down their throats and into their faces by "the liberal elite". People are constantly worried about minorities taking over and most also feel that immigrants are taking their jobs which adds to the underlying tensions in these already-struggling communities.

These areas also skew heavily Republican; and this political party supports old-school and non-progressive idealogies (including policies that are blatantly & indirectly biased). This is not to bash Republicans; this is just their platform taken (which almost everyone on both sides would agree with). Trump's base is literally this demographic!

Couple all of the above with low education levels and now you have a crapstorm of ignorance headed your way! (If you're an "outsider")

Liberals can sometimes be problematic too - i'm not gonna sit here and deny that. However, if you're an interracial couple (like the OP) then I strongly believe that you will have the best odds of being accepted in well-off, highly-educated and "live-and-let-live" liberal areas. Anyone is more than welcome to disagree with me.

It still appears that the bias you are purporting to be against is what you are displaying in your opinion. It's easy to say that I don't feel like that about ALL people and then in the next sentence suggest that blue collar working class areas usually have close minded attitudes. Do you have any facts to back this up, or is this just your opinion? You say that diversity is shoved down the throats by the "liberal elites" like that is a made up concept.



You consider low education a crapstorm? How is that not "elitism?" I bet you have someone who comes to your house to do plumbing, siding, roofing, electrical work, etc...Do these people have a college degree? Are you skilled at everything? Are your tradesman a crapstorm?



Political party is not a factor in racism, sexism, etc... It is a character flaw. The bias that you ascribe to particular people of blue collar/Republican/non college educated citizens is a reflection of your own prejudice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top