Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 07:59 AM

153 posts, read 380,602 times

Advertisements

Comparing Long Island to TN or FL is like comparing apples and hand grenades. The close proximity to NYC sets the price. For those of us who recently moved here to work in the city, the taxes and cost of living is comparable to the other burbs. Ultimately I decided it would be pretty cool to work in a skyscraper and come home and walk to the beach (it is).

I think the dilemma is that commuters set the price and folks who just want to work locally and raise their families have to pay the prices set by those receiving a City wage. I'm new here so I'm sure this is not an enlightening observation. It's probabally been this way for years. I just don't see it changing any time soon. I have a neighbor whos teenage kid has never been to the city. I was shocked.

I would not move here for quality of life reasons if I could choose anywhere in the US to live, few would with the high cost of living being the main deterent. However, I'm very happy we moved here for quality of life reasons since I need to be close to NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:00 PM

8 posts, read 18,588 times
I moved out of LI a couple of years ago because I thought the taxes were ridiculous, so I went to Pocono PA because taxes were supposed to be cheap here. taxes here are $7 to 8K a year for a simple 3000sq ft home in the middle of nowhere with no street lights, no sewers, water or garbage collection, so-so schools and added expenses for the commute.
I made a fatal mistake, believed all the BS the builders told me and I'm stuck, living nowhere, long commute to NY, high gas and tolls.....of course, new construction here came to a screeching halt after the exhuberant tax hike .take my advise...STAY THERE!!!!! pass the message along......

Old 08-19-2008, 04:23 AM

102 posts, read 297,058 times
4uhoney,

What part of the Poconos are you in with a $7-8k tax bill?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4UHONEY View Post
I moved out of LI a couple of years ago because I thought the taxes were ridiculous, so I went to Pocono PA because taxes were supposed to be cheap here. taxes here are $7 to 8K a year for a simple 3000sq ft home in the middle of nowhere with no street lights, no sewers, water or garbage collection, so-so schools and added expenses for the commute...
How could you not know you were in the middle of nowhere before you moved? $7K - 8K is cheap?

Old 08-19-2008, 05:39 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I've read your posts about your town before, Laura and it sounds more and more like a place where I would love to be.
Well, we do have crime. I haven't been to LI for any length of time (more than a week) since 1995. We have a lot of theft related crime here in my TN town. How is the crime in your Long Island town compared to 15 - 20 years ago? Are there more car break ins, shoplifting and houses robbed (while owner is out)? Are they into the metal/copper wire stealing there?

I really shouldn't be comparing all of LI to my one town in TN. My town in TN is around the size (population-wise) of Centereach, Shirley or Plainview but land area wise, it's more than 10 times the size of Centereach, for example.

When you guys are talking about things to do, you are speaking of the entire Island. I was just speaking of my TN town.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, we do have crime. I haven't been to LI for any length of time (more than a week) since 1995. We have a lot of theft related crime here in my TN town. How is the crime in your Long Island town compared to 15 - 20 years ago? Are there more car break ins, shoplifting and houses robbed (while owner is out)? Are they into the metal/copper wire stealing there?

I really shouldn't be comparing all of LI to my one town in TN. My town in TN is around the size (population-wise) of Centereach, Shirley or Plainview but land area wise, it's more than 10 times the size of Centereach, for example.

When you guys are talking about things to do, you are speaking of the entire Island. I was just speaking of my TN town.
As far as crime on LI goes its quite a bit lower than 15-20 years ago. it has generally decreased across all communities. In 2007 Nassau had its lowest crime rate in 41 years. LI has one of the lowest crime rates in the entire country according to the FBI.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:13 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post

I've had one thing stolen from me my entire life while on LI, and that was while I was at Suny Stony Brook (city folk go there!!). My dad move to Florida and had 2 break ins in 5 years.

Crime in LI is very, very low compared to most of the country.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:23 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I've had one thing stolen from me my entire life while on LI, and that was while I was at Suny Stony Brook (city folk go there!!). My dad move to Florida and had 2 break ins in 5 years.

Crime in LI is very, very low compared to most of the country.
You can thank your Nassau and Suffolk County Police Departments for that!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:32 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
How is the crime in your Long Island town compared to 15 - 20 years ago? Are there more car break ins, shoplifting and houses robbed (while owner is out)? Are they into the metal/copper wire stealing there?

Crime in Nassau and Suffolk is practically the lowest in the nation. There is isolated crime in specific areas, but overall LI is a safe place to live where people still leave their doors open, at least in places where I've lived. New York City's crime is also very low for a large city. I guess it is the affluence or the water or something.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-19-2008, 03:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
According to the NYT maps, the only zip codes on LI with a crime rate above the national average are Southampton and Southold. In both cases--especially the former--I strongly suspect this is due to summer people. Break-ins, drunk driving, etc--and it's measured against the year round population, not the summer population.

If you index crime with the national average at 100, even Hempstead (worst in Nassau) comes out to 88. There are communities on LI with crime indexes below 10.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island