Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 PM

27 posts, read 94,108 times

Advertisements

We recently bought a house in Dix Hills, but I just realized after closing that we are very close to the Deer Park / Town of Babylon border. We are zoned for the HHH schools. Can anyone tell me about the area? It is located behind the 7-11. I thought we got a good price, but now I am not so sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:39 PM

99 posts, read 729,861 times
nicest area of Deer Park. Good Luck

Old 08-03-2008, 08:28 PM

So this is considered Deer Park even though it's zoned for HHH and is in the Dix Hills zip code?

Old 08-04-2008, 07:03 AM

889 posts, read 2,405,948 times
I have a friend who lives on Kenmore. It is the last block in Dix Hills. Its a nice area.

Old 08-04-2008, 12:52 PM

Thanks. We will be moving to Emerson Street and Woodedge Place. The neighborhood seems ok, but I wasn't sure where the exact border is. Is that still considered Dix Hills? The realtor told us it was, but I have a sick feeling that it might not be.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:54 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
Check with the Post Office.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-04-2008, 02:33 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,506,811 times
Type in the address in the link below and check where it says "Place" in the little box that comes up below.

Census 2000 - American Factfinder

If the home is in the Town of Huntington, it's in Dix Hills....if it's in the Town of Babylon it's in Deer Park, there's no crossover. I just looked up the intersection you listed quick on a map and it's definitely in Dix Hills, though....about 50 feet from the Town of Babylon border!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:04 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
Emerson comes up on Google Maps as being in Deer Park, not Dix Hills. But that only means that it's in the Deer Park postal district. There are many sections of communities whose zipcode is Community A but are in the school district of Community B, and may even be in the fire district of Community C. It's the Township that a street is in that matters most (for resale advertising purposes) which is why the realtor could list it as Dix Hills even though it's only 50 feet from Deer Park!

Old 08-04-2008, 06:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Dix Hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaNaPad View Post
Thanks. We will be moving to Emerson Street and Woodedge Place. The neighborhood seems ok, but I wasn't sure where the exact border is. Is that still considered Dix Hills? The realtor told us it was, but I have a sick feeling that it might not be.

The following map maybe of some help to you ...

For those who may not be familiar with Dix Hills:

Dix Hills is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the southeast part of the Town of Huntington, in the west part of Suffolk County, along the Huntington/Smithtown, Huntington/Islip and Huntington/Babylon town lines.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Dix Hills in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Huntington; on the east by the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown (the Huntington/Smithtown town line) and the Hamlet of Brentwood in the Town of Islip (the Huntington/Islip town line); on the south by the Hamlet of Deer Park and the Hamlet of Wheatley Heights in the Town of Babylon (the Huntington/Babylon town line); and, on the west by the Hamlet of Melville and the Hamlet of South Huntington in the Town of Huntington.

The Hamlet of Dix Hills has a different border than does the "Dix Hills, NY 11746" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Dix Hills and a place can have other than a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Dix Hills): places that have a "Dix Hills, NY 11746" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Dix Hills are in the Hamlet of Huntington Station, the Hamlet of Elwood, the Hamlet of Commack, the Hamlet of Deer Park and the Hamlet of Melville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Dix Hills with a "Brentwood, NY 11717" mailing address..

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,446,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaNaPad View Post
I believe you mean either Edgewood or Woodlawn. Looking at the fact finder site, you are in Dix Hills. The zipcode is Deer Park, but it is Dix hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island