Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:36 AM

27 posts, read 141,790 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I just bought a property in hicksville, and want to change do minor changes to it.

Kitchen:
new tiles, cabinets and appliances

Bathroom:
new tile, tub, toilet, sink

living room:
new carpet, and one wall has a hole, so might need to change the sheet rock

bed room 1:

windows
carpet

bed room 2 :

replace existing bay window
carpet

garage:

garage door

also the main front door of the house.

I am also going to call town of oyster bay and find out, all help appreciated thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
I think you only need a permit if you're adding square footage to the house, or adding a pool, patio, walkways, etc. on the exterior, or raising the roof for whatever reason.

If you're updating your house, I wouldn't think you need permission from the town to put up new curtains, install a new floor, replace a broken dishwasher, etc. In other words, if you're replacing old cabinets with new, IMO you don't need to report that kind of thing. I see on your list above that you want to replace the garage door - go ahead and replace it.

Now some people here will probably disagree with me and say that any time you improve your property you are adding value, and the town/village Board needs to know about any improvement so they can raise your taxes to reflect the appreciated value. So, if you want your taxes raised, go ahead and give them every detail. Otherwise, hold off. It costs enough to do your improvements without raising your taxes.

Another example: My contractor on the house we're moving to told me that when changing windows, if the new one is larger than the old, that has to be reported to the Town (a larger window adds value and pumps up the RE bill too if it's reported).

Just to be on the safe side, when you call Oyster Bay, ask your questions but don't give out any personal info.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:25 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
I am almost positive that you don't need any permits for those. They are cosmetic changes. Only additions, structural changes, or adding bathrooms need permits

Old 08-04-2008, 07:28 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,758,017 times
Depending on exactly what you are doing, you may need permits for the kitchen and bath. In general, if you are simply replacing what is there in the same place, you will not need a permit. However, if you are doing a complete gut and moving things around, you will need a permit due to the plumbing and electrical work.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:53 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
What Tom says is true, and in addition, make sure you use licensed plumbers and electricians. You'll want an Underwriters Certificate for the electrical work which is performed, too.

Also in some villages (like Thomaston, which I believe is near Roslyn) you need a permit from the Village to replace windows. They can be the same size as the old windows, but you need a permit.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:09 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
If the windows are larger and need to be re-framed....you will need a permit. Other than that, you should be ok without one.

licensed plumbers and electricians are a must.

Electrical upgrades to 15-200 amps requir a permit.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:43 PM

27 posts, read 141,790 times
Thanks guys...and yes.. everything remains the same in place. just upgrades....nothing is moving around.... thanks again...

Old 08-06-2008, 09:09 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,659,073 times
What happens if you do renovations that required a permit, yet don't get a permit (work done by homeowners themselves), and then try to sell? Do you get a retroactive permit?

Old 08-06-2008, 09:33 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
What happens if you do renovations that required a permit, yet don't get a permit (work done by homeowners themselves), and then try to sell? Do you get a retroactive permit?
Yes but its much more difficult to do. Always take detailed pics of what you have done prior to sheetrocking, they may help you one day if you need a permit. It could save you from opening up walls.

Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM

1 posts, read 10,749 times
Complain to lower your taxes.
Call city officials.. Call. Everyone to bring hempstead taxes down now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island