Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:55 AM

718 posts, read 2,971,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee73 View Post
I just took a transfer to Norfolk, VA and we bought a house in Virginia Beach (approx 1800 SF for 230000). Kept the same salary and the neighborhood is VERY similiar to LI. I also love NY, but the bang for your buck is just ridiculous!!! NC is very nice, I had looked there as well. We just found the Hampton Roads area of VA to be just like LI, but cheaper.

I have yet to visit Virginia Beach. We usually beach it in Myrtle or Hilton Head these days. One day I will give Virginia Beach a try.
Congrats on your move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 03:57 PM

628 posts, read 2,077,207 times
Don't be fooled about the Charlotte area. It's a great place to live and I'm so glad I made the move. My mortgage is less than my rent in Brooklyn. With the amount of newcomers and the economy in the state it's in....it is extremely competitive job wise. I read a thing on line that for every posting on Careerbuilder there is over 250 applicants. The banks (Wachovia and BOFA) aren't posting great numbers either and are trying to trim fat. Do not assume you will find a job quickly. You very well might, however it might not pay a livable wage. Real estate and taxes maybe cheaper however, food, entertainment, and most consumer goods cost the same if not more. I would recommend really trying to find a job before you move or saving a heck of a lot of money to live on because it could take a LONG time to find a job. We moved in September of '06, my wife found a job while up in NY and it took me 4 months to find a position and it wasn't even what I wanted. I now work for a law enforcement agency in Charlotte (the 3rd job I've had since '06) and have settled in for the long haul.

Overall, My family loves Charlotte (BTW I grew up in Bellmore and I love Charlotte compred to LI, I loved Brooklyn more than LI too!), just be careful with the career thing. The job market is really tough. Good luck!

Last edited by BRKLYN2CLT; 08-08-2008 at 04:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island