Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 12:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,979 times

Advertisements

After reading that article...I can relate...

I would have loved to remain on Long Island, being a young professional it was impossible. My father's side of the family dates back to the 1930's on Long Island...West Islip was my hometown, my father moved there in the 1940's from Manhattan and my mom's family migrated there in 1963 from Queens, both parents went through West Islip Schools, they raised us there until 1993 when we moved out of West Islip to escape the congestion...we ventured eastward to Wading River...another beautiful community...but when all said and done with school and finding that great job on long island, my salary just wasn't enough to keep up with rising taxes, home prices, and such...I am 33 now...just moved to North Carolina in November 2006, it was the best decision I have made...I am not by any means saying Long Island is a bad place...I loved it...but knew my quality of life and future goals could never be met there...As my salary increased, so did everything else, a home purchase was unattainable, I would be just making it, why struggle??? I have found an even better job opportunity here in North Carolina, and the starting salary was lower than Long Island...but it's just that..a starting salary...but I will be able to buy a home here, pay down a mortgage instead of renting, have a quality job, save more money, and plan a better retirement and not have to work until I am 75 to pay high taxes...This area is growing as well, I am sure taxes will go up in time, but with all my research, it will never become a Long Island, at least I pray it doesn't...that would be years away anyhow...I thought I would comment...I am not saying everyone should leave Long Island, but it's very different then my parents generation to start out on long island...my parents were able to buy a nice home when they got married, new car, raise 3 kids on 1 salary, my mom stayed home, it wasn't until the late 70's that my mom started to work because of the energy crisis, than things sky rocketed...but still she only worked outside of the house part-time, because as we know, moms are working full-time around the clock inside the home...so how could they do it??? a home, a new car(s) 3 kids and have a home...I was single making more than my dad was making with all of this and still not be able to survive there??? yes this was 20-30 years ago...but still...being a young professional now on Long Island to have what our parents had at our age is not attainable...I am happy with my decision to leave NY...for me..and the keywords are "for me" it was the best decision to leave...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2007, 03:27 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times
So True NYNRaleigh... LI is beautiful. But, it is not liveable anymore for a specific demographic, and those who fit that demographic, more & more, seem to be choosing to leave. It is sad for LI but I predict, that rather than fall into ruin, that due to the beaches & proximity to the city, it will morph into something great... just not great for a family like mine or yours.

Remember, when our parents moved out there, so long ago, they transformed it from a rural area, dotted with fishing villages, to what it is today. And, they were not welcomed by the old-timers.
Just like current residents of LI resent the overcrowding & changes brought by the new migration,
and just like so many old time southerners resent us!

Old 01-29-2007, 07:41 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
So True NYNRaleigh... LI is beautiful. But, it is not liveable anymore for a specific demographic, and those who fit that demographic, more & more, seem to be choosing to leave. It is sad for LI but I predict, that rather than fall into ruin, that due to the beaches & proximity to the city, it will morph into something great... just not great for a family like mine or yours.

Remember, when our parents moved out there, so long ago, they transformed it from a rural area, dotted with fishing villages, to what it is today. And, they were not welcomed by the old-timers.
Just like current residents of LI resent the overcrowding & changes brought by the new migration,
and just like so many old time southerners resent us!
It used to be F. Scott Fitzgeralds "Tom and Daisy" land. You know, where the rich people made a mess and somebody had to come clean up after them? After WWII, it became a place where working people could live. Now, the rich are taking it back.

I feel sorry for the good people here who are taking a beating over it. They seem to like it out here for some reason. LI's charm has always been utterly lost on me.

Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 AM

480 posts, read 2,828,984 times
So, what's the problem? There are plenty of places in the U.S. where the middle class can no longer afford to live. Tough cookies.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:37 AM

I, personally, don't have a problem. So far as I'm concerned, Long Island would make an ideal practice range for naval artillery exercises.

I think it could be a decent place for middle income people to live if certain home truths were recognized.

Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 PM

525 posts, read 2,351,176 times
Oh, Overtaxed, thanks for being so polite. My response was not to you but to "Check's" saying I sounded like a bitter person that I was referring to in the Newsday comments area. I thought your post was very good Overtaxed and while slightly off the mark - I am a tad younger than the babyboomers- I thought it was a very insightful contribution to the thread!

I think what is important for people considering moving to LI is for them to hear perspectives for old-timers, mid-timers and new-timers. Obviously a new resident does not care what it used to be 40 years ago, but I think it is important to recognize and analyze trends in a region so that one may make an informed decision on where they are coming in on that trend.

My theory is within 20 years LI will have a whole new population-the retirees will have left, the local young folks will have left, and the middle-agers will probably be waiting until they retire to leave. Honestly, I think if it were not for the jobs in NYC, LI would be a lot less sought after and crowded-just my opinion as the salaries on LI do NOT keep up with the cost of living. When I moved from and job in Midtown to a job on LI, MANY employeers tried to give me the BS of "it costs less on LI, so we will pay you less, lunch is cheeper, no LIRR comute costs, etc" What a BS excuse, gas costs too, and lunch was not any cheeper!\\

Anyhow, thanks for your polite board behavior Overtaxed, I for one appreciate it!

Old 01-29-2007, 03:32 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,189 times
Its hard not to feel bitter about leaving the Island

A wise person once told me - the hardest thing about leaving Long Island is leaving Long island. That is for born and raised Gilanders we always thought the Island was it. The people that leave and leaving because of course high cost, but also the Island we all knew and loved is GONE. Good jobs are scarce and fairly boring IMO and companies come and go.

Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Oh, Overtaxed, thanks for being so polite...

My theory is within 20 years LI will have a whole new population-the retirees will have left, the local young folks will have left, and the middle-agers will probably be waiting until they retire to leave. Honestly, I think if it were not for the jobs in NYC, LI would be a lot less sought after and crowded-just my opinion as the salaries on LI do NOT keep up with the cost of living. When I moved from and job in Midtown to a job on LI, MANY employeers tried to give me the BS of "it costs less on LI, so we will pay you less, lunch is cheeper, no LIRR comute costs, etc" What a BS excuse, gas costs too, and lunch was not any cheeper!\\

Anyhow, thanks for your polite board behavior Overtaxed, I for one appreciate it!
Yes, Overtaxed, is very civil...I'm sure he's "overtaxed" listening to me complain about this place.

I also have a theory. One day, perhaps tomorrow, likely not more than 5 years from now, terrorists will nuke the State of Israel. Israel will retailiate...and the entire Mideast will melt down.

And, the next week, the price of gasoline will go to 8 bucks a gallon. So much for the Long Island Lifestyle.

I certainly will take no joy in the suffering of innocents. But, unless something radically changes, that's how I think it will shake out.

Old 01-29-2007, 05:45 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,847,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
So, what's the problem? There are plenty of places in the U.S. where the middle class can no longer afford to live. Tough cookies.
Oh, Check, do you Really want to live in a place with only rich & poor... like the 3rd world?!?!?

Old 01-29-2007, 11:09 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,984 times
Is this a trick question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
Oh, Check, do you Really want to live in a place with only rich & poor... like the 3rd world?!?!?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island