Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 09:22 AM

146 posts, read 840,510 times

Advertisements

From what I've gathered, it's fairly commonplace for a seller to maintain possession several days after closing. I'm having a hard time grasping this concept.

So I will OWN the house and be paying the mortgage while a stranger lives in it? They are putting several thousand dollars into escrow, but what if something gets seriously damaged? Or, what if they refuse to leave? Get injured on the property? And so on.

My lawyer had me sign the contract, but every time I mention this to folks, they think it's nuts.

How can I make sure I am protected? Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM

187 posts, read 863,358 times
If I remember correctly, in these situations a daily rate is usually negotiated for as long as they stay in the house. your lawyer could probably tell you best regarding damage/injuries etc..

Old 08-12-2008, 09:56 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
This is normal. They will put money aside for damage and they will also pay you a daily rental until they move out. The move out day is usually on the contract. 2-3 days is normal.

d

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
It happens all the time. They will pay you "Daily Rent" and put money in escrow for liability. When you think about it...buying a house is not always so cut and dry because people you are buying from are usually buying from someone who is buying from someone yadda yadda yadda.....and without these kinds of compromises things would not work out as smoothly. I'm sure they would love to get out as much as you would love to get in....and I bet they can't wait to get into their new house!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:29 AM

Default Cool...

Thanks for giving me some relief.

It appears the contract does not account for "rent" - stating that "rent" will only be paid after the five days of their occupancy has expired.

Looks like the lawyer might have dropped the ball on that one...

Old 08-12-2008, 10:32 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,400,079 times
When I did this with my first house, my lawyer put in a daily rent, but if for some reason they stayed beyond the time they needed to close on their new house and get out, the daily rent increased over time.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:44 AM

425 posts, read 1,093,177 times
I did this once, and I won't ever do it again. I was asked to allow possession two days after closing so that the sellers could have time to move, and they needed the money from the closing to pay for the movers. It seemed reasonable and I did it thinking I was being kind. I did a walk through with all their possesions still in the house and everything seemed in order, so we closed.

Two days later, I saw why they did this. There were big cracks in the wall behind where the china cabinet was (which no one would have found until it was moved). They had all kinds of boxes piled up in the basement hiding more damage. Neither I nor the inspector thought much of this because hey - people have to pack and put the boxes somewhere. They trashed the house on the way out. It was filthy. I would have expected them to at least sweep and flush the toilet on the way out, but no. They also took all the shelving out of the walk in closet, which if you've ever had California Closets, you know is very expensive.

My alternative was to sue, which would have cost more time and money and strength than I had at the time because I was going through a divorce, so they got away with it. I hope their karma catches up with them.

I also had a friend who had to evict people who she agreed to let stay for one month, and they wouldn't leave.

We're both the wiser for this, and we won't ever agree to closing with any occupants, and we want a walk through with the house vacant on the morning of closing. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Good luck to you. Your lawyer doesn't sound so sharp.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellie C. View Post
I did this once, and I won't ever do it again. I was asked to allow possession two days after closing so that the sellers could have time to move, and they needed the money from the closing to pay for the movers. It seemed reasonable and I did it thinking I was being kind. I did a walk through with all their possesions still in the house and everything seemed in order, so we closed.

Two days later, I saw why they did this. There were big cracks in the wall behind where the china cabinet was (which no one would have found until it was moved). They had all kinds of boxes piled up in the basement hiding more damage. Neither I nor the inspector thought much of this because hey - people have to pack and put the boxes somewhere. They trashed the house on the way out. It was filthy. I would have expected them to at least sweep and flush the toilet on the way out, but no. They also took all the shelving out of the walk in closet, which if you've ever had California Closets, you know is very expensive.

My alternative was to sue, which would have cost more time and money and strength than I had at the time because I was going through a divorce, so they got away with it. I hope their karma catches up with them.

I also had a friend who had to evict people who she agreed to let stay for one month, and they wouldn't leave.

We're both the wiser for this, and we won't ever agree to closing with any occupants, and we want a walk through with the house vacant on the morning of closing. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Good luck to you. Your lawyer doesn't sound so sharp.
wow, that is one hell of a story!

Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,542,584 times
I was always under the impression that the "daily rental" started the day after closing.

Make sure you are comfortable with the amount of money that is in escrow.

I would also have a maximum time put into the contract.

Old 08-12-2008, 12:13 PM

@ Ellie...

That's the exact thing I started thinking about it. Thought maybe I was being paranoid. Thanks to your post, I will be sure that every single item is moved and every inch inspected. We're buying from a seemingly nice family - but you never know!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: