Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2008, 06:20 PM

3 posts, read 9,150 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering transferring to LI where he will be eligible for retirement in 4 years. We looked online and like the idea of a home on the water as we invision having a (modest) boat for fishing, etc. We have seen many homes in Freeport that are on canals (and some in Baldwin Harbor) but after reading some of the negative comments about the area I'm wondering if anyone has any good things to say about it.
Thanks from Granite Bay, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 08:33 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
South freeport is nice and there are great restaurants but there are some really rough areas further north. A family member lived in South Freeport for years and loved it. They did not have any kids.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:47 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,418 times
South Freeport is very nice...especially in walking distance of the Nautical Mile. You can shop for groceries in Baldwin Harbor on Atlantic Avenue or go over to Oceanside for most of the big name stores....all in close proximity.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:43 PM

Smile Thanks for the replies!

I have a teenage son that will be in high school, it sounds like the Baldwin area is better for that. Are there any private HS's within easy commuting distance?

Old 08-13-2008, 05:25 AM

Here's the thing...I used to live in Freeport and all the kids that my kids and those they grew up with went the Catholic School Route. (except for one kid who ended up going to Freeport High School, getting a full scholarship to NYU and is now an actress on a soap opera). St. Christopher in Baldwin up until the 8th grade...then Sacred Heart or Kellenberg or Chaminad through High School. It's a big Catholic School area..........

Old 08-13-2008, 05:28 AM

One question...is there a reason you are picking the waterfront of Freeport/Baldwin as opposed to the rest of the South Shore? Is it the prices? Because there are some lovely towns further east as well....

Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GigiBowman View Post
Here's the thing...I used to live in Freeport and all the kids that my kids and those they grew up with went the Catholic School Route. (except for one kid who ended up going to Freeport High School, getting a full scholarship to NYU and is now an actress on a soap opera). St. Christopher in Baldwin up until the 8th grade...then Sacred Heart or Kellenberg or Chaminad through High School. It's a big Catholic School area..........
Wow, that is cool......I went to Chaminade also.

Sounds like you did a great job as a parent!

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 AM

Default Hi Gigi

Yes there is a reason: I am looking for something as close as possible to where my husband will be working in Westbury. He has commuted for years (who hasn't?) and his only request for the next move is that it be as short as possible. I'm trying to keep it under 15 minutes.
Thanks for the info on the Catholic HSs, we lived in the Bay area of CA and sent our kids to Catholic schools as the city schools were not the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island