Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 AM

155 posts, read 298,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Let's face it..the cops in Suffolk and Nassau know that they have a sweetheart deal. There only legitimate response is "why didn't you become a cop, then?" There is no logical justification for the disproportionate compensation...it just is what it is, and only a constant chorus from the electorate can change it. Not enough people have the time and/or will to do anything about it. Going to a school board meeting to complain about the schools is hard enough for most people, digging through red tape to find the source of police salaries is too much for most people to bother with.
The main issue with teachers salaries and cops is that most people hear that a teacher is making 100k and has summer off and automatically there's an outcry. What isn't noticed is that the only teachers making that kind of coin are those who have worked for 20 years. When you look towards the cops, after 7 years only they are at top pay. But even top pay isn't crazy. You have to look deeper at all of the benefits. You have to see their pension, see how the pension is calculated. You have to see the sick and vacation payouts. You have to look at the # of hours they are required to work (which for the NCPD is on par with teachers). That's why the teachers get a poor shake - it's very easy to see what they make and come to judgement, but it takes a lot more effort to really see how sweet of a deal the cops have and know the full entent as to what we, as residents, are giving them.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:30 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
The main issue with teachers salaries and cops is that most people hear that a teacher is making 100k and has summer off and automatically there's an outcry. What isn't noticed is that the only teachers making that kind of coin are those who have worked for 20 years. When you look towards the cops, after 7 years only they are at top pay. But even top pay isn't crazy. You have to look deeper at all of the benefits. You have to see their pension, see how the pension is calculated. You have to see the sick and vacation payouts. You have to look at the # of hours they are required to work (which for the NCPD is on par with teachers). That's why the teachers get a poor shake - it's very easy to see what they make and come to judgement, but it takes a lot more effort to really see how sweet of a deal the cops have and know the full entent as to what we, as residents, are giving them.
The teachers pensions are calculated similarly, but they are not retiring after 20 years, which makes quite a difference. They can run their salaries up a bit the last 3 years, but there is nowhere near the avenues for abuse that there are with the police.

Old 08-19-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:
The teachers pensions are calculated similarly, but they are not retiring after 20 years, which makes quite a difference. They can run their salaries up a bit the last 3 years, but there is nowhere near the avenues for abuse that there are with the police.
In what ways can teachers run up their salaries? Taking on extra classes, coaching, etc?

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
In what ways can teachers run up their salaries? Taking on extra classes, coaching, etc?

Home teachings, coaching, getting in some more credits in terms of their own education. That's the same stuff that most teachers take on early in their careers to boost their salaries that usually start in the low to mid 40's.

There are areas to push the salaries up, but nothing resembling what cops can do.

Last edited by dman72; 08-19-2008 at 10:28 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 11:29 AM

Quote:
There are areas to push the salaries up, but nothing resembling what cops can do.
I don't know what's a bigger disgrace - the fact that we as residents let the system get to this point, or that whenever this topic is brought up those who bring it up are scorned immediately and the next reaction is to point at the teachers.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:47 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
I don't know what's a bigger disgrace - the fact that we as residents let the system get to this point, or that whenever this topic is brought up those who bring it up are scorned immediately and the next reaction is to point at the teachers.
You keep saying throughout this thread that it's only a for discussion of teacher salaries, yet you take every opportunity to bash cops. Looks like that's all you're interested in.

You keep talking about police compensation as if you know exactly how the system works. You really don't have a clue. Find out what the real story is before you post.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
You can't really expect anything else from the cops..their reactions are predictable on this forum or on any other where they can be anonymous. Some will defend their work and say it is thankless, others will be arrogant and tell you to shut up because you are powerless and a sucker. I've been through this before on other boards. There's not a lot of middle ground. I hand it to them that they are often the first responders and are usually seeing people at their worst, but counter that with how little education they need and how quickly their salary progresses, and comparisons to other areas, and you get immediate backlash.

On one hand, the cop will tell you that they have a much harder job than anyone else, then when someone says that being a teacher is a better occupation and has more time off, they will take the other route and describe how much money they are pulling in and that they have just as many days off as a teacher, that they will retire with X, and you are all suckers.

You probably have a small minority of the police in this area spending their time on this board..but they sure don't leave a good impression.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You keep talking about police compensation as if you know exactly how the system works. You don't have a clue. Get off your soapbox and stop bashing cops.
He seems to have most of his facts in line. How about disputing with something substantial instead of ad hominem?

Old 08-19-2008, 11:56 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,760 times
Quote:
You can't really expect anything else from the cops..their reactions are predictable on this forum or on any other where they can be anonymous. Some will defend their work and say it is thankless, others will be arrogant and tell you to shut up because you are powerless and a sucker. I've been through this before on other boards. There's not a lot of middle ground. I hand it to them that they are often the first responders and are usually seeing people at their worst, but counter that with how little education they need and how quickly their salary progresses, and comparisons to other areas, and you get immediate backlash.

On one hand, the cop will tell you that they have a much harder job than anyone else, then when someone says that being a teacher is a better occupation and has more time off, they will take the other route and describe how much money they are pulling in and that they have just as many days off as a teacher, that they will retire with X, and you are all suckers.

You probably have a small minority of the police in this area spending their time on this board..but they sure don't leave a good impression.
I thought this was a thread about teacher salaries. Have you, too, joined the cop bashing going on here? What is your issue with cops?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
I thought this was a thread about teacher salaries. Have you, too, joined the cop bashing going on here? What is your issue with cops?
Again with the non-sequitor. We are discussing facts here related to compensations and how they relate the high taxation on LI, and you come back with "what is your issue with cops?"

The issue is that people are getting soaked on LI for a variety of reasons..one of which is police compensation. You mention that, and PO's immediately go after teachers, or they go "nah nah nah." I've failed to see a single argument that shows that being a PO on LI isn't a disproportionately lucrative job considering qualifications, duties, and compensation. I know that in contract negotiations teachers have been giving back..from 100% paid medical to 90%, lower pay scale increases, etc. I'm sure residents want more, but it's something. The police answer to the same issue? "Tough luck!!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island