Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:04 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
He seems to have most of his facts in line. How about disputing with something substantial instead of ad hominem?
What makes you think his facts are in line? That average figure quoted by Mr. Suozzi was for the benefit of Newsday. It includes all of the supervisory and administrative staff of the department as well as the rank and file cops. The numbers are skewed.

As far the "padding the overtime thing" it simply doesn't happen. That's why the pension system was changed in 1973 to calculate a three year average. It is not policy within any department to give extra overtime to someone who is retiring -- those who make that overtime do so usually with police activity such as arrests and associated court time.

There is a limitation in place on the payout of sick and vacation leave for personnel who are retiring. The payout of accumulated sick and vacation leave is an incentive for personnel not to use sick and vacation time. It would cost a whole bunch more if you had to utilize personnel on overtime to fill the slots of those who are sick. And while we're at it, ask any politician or government official and they will tell you that it's cheaper to pay cops overtime than it is to hire more. That's why it's there -- that's why it's used.

Bottom line is that police compensation and compensation practices are regulated by contracts signed between police unions and elected government officials. If you have a problem with that, take it up with them. And good luck with that.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:05 PM

155 posts, read 298,445 times
Quote:
He seems to have most of his facts in line. How about disputing with something substantial instead of ad hominem?
Because he can't dispute the facts. So instead of disputing the facts, he will call me (and eventually you and anyone else who he doesn't agree with) a troll. He will attack your career choices. When all the attacking is done, he will point to the teachers and blame them for being "the real problem". Thank you though for at least reading the facts and not being swept under the "our job is a thankless job" propoganda.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post

Bottom line is that police compensation and compensation practices are regulated by contracts signed between police unions and elected government officials. If you have a problem with that, take it up with them. And good luck with that.
That's where the problem lies. Instead of just trying to talk truth on the matter, your real bottom line answer is "tough, there's nothing you can do about it."

As the economy continues to falter, you will see a backlash that will start to correct the inequities, no doubt..but you already got yours, so why do you care?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Again with the non-sequitor. We are discussing facts here related to compensations and how they relate the high taxation on LI, and you come back with "what is your issue with cops?"

The issue is that people are getting soaked on LI for a variety of reasons..one of which is police compensation. You mention that, and PO's immediately go after teachers, or they go "nah nah nah." I've failed to see a single argument that shows that being a PO on LI isn't a disproportionately lucrative job considering qualifications, duties, and compensation. I know that in contract negotiations teachers have been giving back..from 100% paid medical to 90%, lower pay scale increases, etc. I'm sure residents want more, but it's something. The police answer to the same issue? "Tough luck!!"
You're actually going out of your way in today's posts to bash cops -- that's not a discussion. And you obviously don't follow police contract negotiations. Every contract involves givebacks on both sides.

As far as police officer being a lucrative profession on Long Island, it's also true in many other parts of the country. And it's on a par with many other professions on Long Island. What's you point?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post
Because he can't dispute the facts. So instead of disputing the facts, he will call me (and eventually you and anyone else who he doesn't agree with) a troll. He will attack your career choices. When all the attacking is done, he will point to the teachers and blame them for being "the real problem". Thank you though for at least reading the facts and not being swept under the "our job is a thankless job" propoganda.
That would be true if you actually knew the real facts.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:12 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post

Yep. His discussion of the overtime scenario speaks volumes...he acts like cops just go about their business and work normal overtime, meanwhile a few years back cops were booking mountains of overtime walking police dogs in Nassau. Does he really think we don't know the ways they find to book extra overtime in their last few years? I'm RELATED TO COPS.

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Okay, guys. No one is going to win this argument and it just goes on and on. I am temporarily closing this thread before it gets totally mean and out of hand .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-19-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Yep. His discussion of the overtime scenario speaks volumes...he acts like cops just go about their business and work normal overtime, meanwhile a few years back cops were booking mountains of overtime walking police dogs in Nassau. Does he really think we don't know the ways they find to book extra overtime in their last few years? I'm RELATED TO COPS.
Congratulations. I'm sure that your relatives would be happy to know that you've joined the crowd bashing their profession on this forum. BTW, you know first hand about these mountains of overtime walking police dogs? Or is it rumor and innuendo like so much that passes for facts on these threads?

Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Okay guys, this thread is getting totally off-track and extremely uncivil. I am temporarily closing it before it gets totally out of hand.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
This thread is closed permanently. There is no way to re-open it without removing over 75% of the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island