Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 10:18 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Low income/high crime go hand-in-hand in Nassau & Suffolk too.....I can't really think of too many exceptions. This one does seem like a bit of an anomaly, but check Pequaman's post and my reply below.

If you went north on Nassau Road (near the cemetery) it's Uniondale, south it's Roosevelt - although it becomes N Main Street pretty quickly and then you're in Freeport.....and I agree it doesn't look frightening (though it's distinctly dumpy or worn out) nor do many parts of Roosevelt look dangerous at all, but it's still without a doubt one of the worst areas in Nassau. That's all relative, of course. I'm having a hard time thinking of a really great NYC comparison, but I'd say it's not much different than South Jamaica, crime-wise....especially since both are nowhere near as dangerous as their reputations suggest (albeit still undoubtedly "bad")....and that's really just about as grimy as things get out on Long Island. There is nothing truly awful out here.

BTW It's unfortunate, but I think you will find that people on here very frequently associate race, or at least races other than white or Asian, with crime.

I think you're on to something here. Average family size for Roosevelt is almost 5 persons....that's at least a third larger than what is typical for Nassau County. I think this is probably due to multi-generational and large extended families all living under one roof, which will definitely skew both median figures (household & family) when comparing to other areas. Nice job digging a little deeper beyond the raw numbers

In 2000, Roosevelt was in the bottom 10 for per-capita income in Nassau & Suffolk and I can't imagine that has changed much....% below poverty line has actually decreased somewhat as of the last (2009) estimate. Should be interesting to see if that remains the same when the official 2010 Census data becomes available.
seanx4: if i remember correctly i turned off exit 21 on SSP i believe? and did that whole strip south to sunrise hwy...i distinctly remember passing a 7-11 before sunrise and although i did not feel intimidated in the least, i could tell that i was in "the hood," by long island standards at least. i'm from Far Rockaway by the way.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronkonkomoan View Post
Hmmm.... I haven't read the entire thread, but 6 pages, and the rather simple question doesn't seem to have been resolved, because people are worried about sounding "politically incorrect".

Well the truth is, if you look at ALL the high-crime areas on LI- or in NY as a (w)hole, or across the entire country- the highest crime areas always have one thing in common: They contain people who belong to a certain culture- and as a matter of fact, people of that particular culture can often be identified by the color of their skin.

If it's un-PC to admit the obvious truth, then so be it- I have no concern for political correctness- especially when it becomes a mechanism to deny the obvious truth.

The highest crime areas on LI: Roosevelt; Wyandanch; Gordon Heights; North Bellport; North Amityville; Central Islip; Islip Terrace; Brentwood; East Patchogue....etc. -What do all these areas have in common?

You figure it out- it's not rocket science. If people who belong to that culture have a problem with reality, maybe they should talk to the other members of their culture who perpetuate the stereotypes and engage in negative behavior, so that they will not give all of the members of that culture a bad image.

Lets remember that most of our parents moved to LI to escape the crime, drugs and arson that became so extant when members of that culture were dumped en masse in certain areas of Brooklyn and the Bronx years ago. Now many members of that culture are migrating east, and bring the same negative behaviors with them.

Where I now live, the average income is less than half of what it is in Roosevelt.....but there is virtually no crime. So please don't say low income is the determining factor. Many of the neighborhoods our parents had to abandon in the City, were also very low-income...and quite nice and low-crime...until certain groups moved in. (Groups which are not present in any large numbers where I now live)

Call it what you want- but it is undeniable fact.
ehhh.....so ethnicity = higher crime? you obviously are not a well traveled person. take a trip to the DC/Northern VA area. Actually Google it. Then google Oniontown, NY.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Oh duh!

I get it! It's BLACK people who are the criminals! You are so FORTUNATE you don't have them in "any large numbers" where you live!

Please explain:

//www.city-data.com/forum/17182111-post93.html

You can add this fine piece of work from VA> Teresa Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is what I think of when I hear "White Trash". Saw this story on ID channel, absolutely disgusting what her and her 2 boyfriends did.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 PM

51 posts, read 109,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
ehhh.....so ethnicity = higher crime? you obviously are not a well traveled person. take a trip to the DC/Northern VA area. Actually Google it. Then google Oniontown, NY.
Name ONE all-black area in any city, suburb or state in this country that isn't high-crime.

Old 12-29-2010, 11:35 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
Quote:

I think you're on to something here. Average family size for Roosevelt is almost 5 persons....that's at least a third larger than what is typical for Nassau County. I think this is probably due to multi-generational and large extended families all living under one roof, which will definitely skew both median figures (household & family) when comparing to other areas. Nice job digging a little deeper beyond the raw numbers

In 2000, Roosevelt was in the bottom 10 for per-capita income in Nassau & Suffolk and I can't imagine that has changed much....% below poverty line has actually decreased somewhat as of the last (2009) estimate. Should be interesting to see if that remains the same when the official 2010 Census data becomes available.
Yeah, There is an inverse relation between family size and per capita income (skewed lower); while family size and household income have a direct relationship (skewed higher). What we're really looking for is the middle ground, where family size and even age demographics are factored into some sort of "Precise Income formula" or quotient. lol. Interesting stuff, a lot of subjective data to consider here. Another important data point to look at is Aggregate household income. Using Aggregate Household income, along with household, family, population, poverty line and age data, you get a better idea of what a given hamlet/village income situation looks like

Roosevelt does have one of the highest 18-30 age demographics on LI, that's for sure. So actually I would lean toward Per Capita income being more valid than Household income (or the "Precise Income" being closer to Per Capita). This is at odds with the rest of LI, where the age demo is a much higher % of children under 18 and very low % of 18-30 demographic.

Last edited by Pequaman; 12-29-2010 at 11:52 PM..

Old 12-30-2010, 03:25 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
seanx4: if i remember correctly i turned off exit 21 on SSP i believe? and did that whole strip south to sunrise hwy...i distinctly remember passing a 7-11 before sunrise and although i did not feel intimidated in the least, i could tell that i was in "the hood," by long island standards at least. i'm from Far Rockaway by the way.
Your perspective is the polar opposite of most people who post on here.

If you're not intimidated living in Arverne, parts of which are amongst the most frightening and bleak landscapes in NYC, then I seriously doubt you'll be intimidated pretty much anywhere.

If you've lived in Dix Hills your whole life and you think about calling 911 every time you see a car older than 2003 come down your block after dark, even an honest-to-goodness decent, working class town is going to seem dangerous.

Most people on LI aren't really that out of touch, but they're much closer to the second example than the first. More importantly, beyond those extremes there are very legitimate levels of real danger & safety, and odds of being a crime victim for every single community. That should really be all that's important, but I think it's very hard to separate the instinctual perception from reality for most people. It requires thinking objectively and taking yourself out of a predisposed mindset.

Crime in Roosevelt is very likely just about on par with the national average. Nassau-Suffolk is routinely amongst the safest MSA's in America, year-in, year-out......so "the ghetto" here should roughly translate to "typical" for the rest of the country. It's the surroundings that make it seem a lot worse. Although, even with all that said, I would still recommend that people avoid buying there like the plague, since it still costs A FORTUNE!! There really is no huge discount.....I don't know why anyone would spend $350k in Roosevelt as opposed to anywhere else in Nassau County....especially people with young children. The difference in school district quality compared to surrounding areas is night and day.

BTW - My comments about Arverne/Far Rock are not meant to be insulting or to put you down....you live there, I think you would probably agree it's one of the most dangerous parts of NYC....but I also think it's an extremely interesting place and have always enjoyed the surreal scenery and beautiful beaches. Arverne, especially, is a real relic. The land that time forgot.....

I really liked this post in the "Good things about LI" thread, where the guy is talking about walking around Hempstead and blah blah blah. I totally agree with that....there is something to be said for going out and taking in a new area, something unfamiliar and different, just for the sake of doing it. I think it gives a little perspective, seeing things from street level. Long Islanders are very provincial by nature, although I'm not sure why, and I think that contributes to all the extreme doom & gloom when it comes to places that are a little out of the ordinary/rough around the edges. Personally, I wanna see everything....I'd go nuts staying in my one little town constantly.

Quote:
Name ONE all-black area in any city, suburb or state in this country that isn't high-crime.
Hmmm....let's see, there aren't really that many on Long Island, but there also aren't really many blacks on Long Island. Lakeview, Wheatley Heights and South Floral Park. None are high-crime areas, and other than those 3 I think the only other "majority black" areas on LI are Roosevelt and Wyandanch. Then there's all the SE Queens communities as well (Rosedale, Cambria Heights, Laurelton, etc.)...

Old 12-30-2010, 07:07 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Quote:
MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK LONG ISLAND AND UPSTATE TOWNS

- Wheatley Heights, NY: This town has a median income of $98,387 (as of 2008) and is 48.6% Black (so they are the majority race because all the other races makeup smaller percentages of the population)
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Wheatley-Heights-New-York.html

-
North Valley Stream, NY: This town has a median income of $91,204 and is 51.4% Black.
Source: North Valley Stream CDP, New York - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

- Lakeview, NY: This town has a median household income of $90,530 (as of 2008) and is 83.4% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Lakeview-New-York.html

- Hillcrest, NY: This town has a median household income of $86,516 (as of 2008) and is 49% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Hillcrest-New-York.html

- South Floral Park, NY: This town has a median household income of $84,931 (as of 2008) and is 57.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/South-...-New-York.html

(Very Diverse Long Island and Upstate towns where Blacks are not the majority but still have a significant presence are, Baldwin [30.3%],

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK NEW YORK CITY NEIGHBORHOODS

- Cambria Heights, NYC: This neighborhood has a median household income of $74,070 (as of 2008) and is around 80% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...illage-NY.html

- Laurelton, NYC: This neighborhoods has a median household income of $80,927 (as of 2008) and is around 80% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ardens-NY.html

- Brookville, NYC: This neighborhood has a median household income of $72,953 (as of 2008) and is around 80% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...ardens-NY.html

- Rosedale, NYC: This neighborhood has a median household income of $76,527 (as of 2008) and is around 60% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...sedale-NY.html

[$56,033; New York State Average]

MAJORITY MIDDLE CLASS BLACK NEW JERSEY TOWNS

- Englewood, NJ: This town has a median household income of $73,698 (as of 2008) and is 37.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Englewood-New-Jersey.html

(Very Diverse New Jersey towns where Blacks are NOT the majority but still have as significant presence are; Hackensack, NJ [24.3% Black/$62,257 Median Income], Teaneck, NJ [28.8%/$94,558], South Orange, NJ [30.4%/$102,514], West Orange, NJ [22.2%/$84,911], Montclair, NJ [26.5%/$91,826], Maplewood, NJ [32.9%/$97,641]

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK CALIFORNIA TOWNS

- Ladera Heights, CA: This neighborhood has a median income of $118,700 and is 70.1% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Ladera...alifornia.html

- View Park-Windsor Hills, CA: This neighborhood has a median income of $76,158 and is 87.2% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/View-P...alifornia.html

- Baldwin Hills, CA:

MAJORITY MIDDLE CLASS BLACK MICHIGAN TOWNS[/SIZE]

- Lathrup Village, MI: This town has a median income of $97,397 and is 49.7% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Lathru...-Michigan.html

- Indian Village, MI: This town has a median income of $57,473 and is 70% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...etroit-MI.html

(Michigan State average= $48, 591)

MAJORITY MIDDLE AND UPPER CLASS BLACK D.C. AREA TOWNS

((PRINCE GEORGES COUNTY, MARYLAND))
- Kettering, MD: This town has a median income of $102,830 and is 90.3% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Kettering-Maryland.html

- Woodmore, MD: This town has a median income of $127,038 and is 64.5% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Woodmore-Maryland.html

- Lanham-Seabrook, MD: This town has a median income of $79,055 and is 62.3% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Lanham...-Maryland.html

- Rosaryville, MD: This town has a median income of $104,110 and is 59.2% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Rosaryville-Maryland.html

- Fort Washington, MD: This town has a median income of $106,020 and is 63.7% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Fort-W...-Maryland.html

- Springdale, MD: This town has a median income of $107,540 and is 91.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Springdale-Maryland.html

- Friendly, MD: This town has a median income of $104,762 and is 77% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Friendly-Maryland.html

- Mitchellville/Lake Arbor, MD: This town has a median income of $110,604 and is 78% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Mitche...-Maryland.html[

- Clinton, MD: This town has a median income of $92,910 and is 79.6% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Clinton-Maryland.html

- Marlton, MD: This town has a median income of $96,442 and is 55.3% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Marlton-Maryland.html

- Greater Upper Marlboro, MD: This town has a median income of $95,347 and is 74.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Greate...-Maryland.html

- Camp Springs, MD: This town has a median income of $90,601 and is 73.9% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Camp-S...-Maryland.html

- Glenn Dale, MD: This town has a median income of $105,594 and is 47.7% Black (they are still the largest population segment in this town).
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Glenn-Dale-Maryland.html

- Cheverly, MD: This town has a median income of $85,455 and is 56.4% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Cheverly-Maryland.html

(Maryland State average= $70,545)

OTHER

- Olympia Fields, IL: This town has a median income of $112,710 and is of 51.7% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Olympi...-Illinois.html
(Illinois State average= $56,235)

- Forest Park, OK: This town has a median income of $69,476 and is 72.1% Black.
Source: //www.city-data.com/city/Forest-Park-Oklahoma.html
(Oklahoma State average= $48,822)

And please don't get me started with the ones in Atlanta area!! Such as;
Cascade Heights, Atlanta, Georgia
Sandtown, Atlanta, Georgia
Collier Heights, Atlanta, Georgia
..................And MANY others, trust me

As for actual crime rates, you're going to have to do your own research on that.. But I really can't imagine the son of a Doctor or CEO doing much damage!

(BTW: Some of these numbers may be a little off since I did this last year but you can click on the sources to see if it did and if it did it wouldn't be very significant.)

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-30-2010 at 07:34 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 07:17 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You can add this fine piece of work from VA> Teresa Lewis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is what I think of when I hear "White Trash". Saw this story on ID channel, absolutely disgusting what her and her 2 boyfriends did.
I'm glad they killed her....she got what she deserved. We have a Gov. that sticks to his guns and doesn't give clemency or commutes sentences to people that don't deserve it

Old 12-30-2010, 07:22 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,884 times
Quote:
Low income/high crime go hand-in-hand in Nassau & Suffolk too.....I can't really think of too many exceptions. This one does seem like a bit of an anomaly, but check Pequaman's post and my reply below.

If you went north on Nassau Road (near the cemetery) it's Uniondale, south it's Roosevelt - although it becomes N Main Street pretty quickly and then you're in Freeport.....and I agree it doesn't look frightening (though it's distinctly dumpy or worn out) nor do many parts of Roosevelt look dangerous at all, but it's still without a doubt one of the worst areas in Nassau. That's all relative, of course. I'm having a hard time thinking of a really great NYC comparison, but I'd say it's not much different than South Jamaica, crime-wise....especially since both are nowhere near as dangerous as their reputations suggest (albeit still undoubtedly "bad")....and that's really just about as grimy as things get out on Long Island. There is nothing truly awful out here.

BTW It's unfortunate, but I think you will find that people on here very frequently associate race, or at least races other than white or Asian, with crime.

Extended families under one roof? I think you have Blacks mixed up with another ethnic group!

Okay;

Roosevelt avg. Household Size: 3.88
Source: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=16000US3641003&_ geoContext=01000US|04000US36|16000US3641003&_stree t=&_county=roosevelt&_cityTown=roosevelt&_state=04 000US36&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSel ect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=160&_submenuId=factshee t_1&ds_name=ACS_2009_5YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name =null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=

Island Park avg. Household Size: 3.20
Source: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=16000US3645986&_ geoContext=01000US|04000US36|16000US3645986&_stree t=&_county=island+park&_cityTown=island+park&_stat e=04000US36&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=ge oSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=160&_submenuId=fact sheet_1&ds_name=ACS_2009_5YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_ name=null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=

Deer Park avg. Household Size: 3.14
Source: http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/ACSSAFFFacts?_event=Search&geo_id=16000US3637847&_ geoContext=01000US|04000US36|16000US3637847&_stree t=&_county=deer+park&_cityTown=deer+park&_state=04 000US36&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSel ect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=160&_submenuId=factshee t_1&ds_name=ACS_2009_5YR_SAFF&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name =null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=

Even with Household Size taken into account, the differences still aren't that significant. And even if it was relevant, it would be kids too young to work and contribute to Household Income that make the Household Size larger, not working adults.

[Sources straight from the Census]

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 12-30-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-30-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Your perspective is the polar opposite of most people who post on here.

If you're not intimidated living in Arverne, parts of which are amongst the most frightening and bleak landscapes in NYC, then I seriously doubt you'll be intimidated pretty much anywhere.

If you've lived in Dix Hills your whole life and you think about calling 911 every time you see a car older than 2003 come down your block after dark, even an honest-to-goodness decent, working class town is going to seem dangerous.

Most people on LI aren't really that out of touch, but they're much closer to the second example than the first. More importantly, beyond those extremes there are very legitimate levels of real danger & safety, and odds of being a crime victim for every single community. That should really be all that's important, but I think it's very hard to separate the instinctual perception from reality for most people. It requires thinking objectively and taking yourself out of a predisposed mindset.

Crime in Roosevelt is very likely just about on par with the national average. Nassau-Suffolk is routinely amongst the safest MSA's in America, year-in, year-out......so "the ghetto" here should roughly translate to "typical" for the rest of the country. It's the surroundings that make it seem a lot worse. Although, even with all that said, I would still recommend that people avoid buying there like the plague, since it still costs A FORTUNE!! There really is no huge discount.....I don't know why anyone would spend $350k in Roosevelt as opposed to anywhere else in Nassau County....especially people with young children. The difference in school district quality compared to surrounding areas is night and day.

BTW - My comments about Arverne/Far Rock are not meant to be insulting or to put you down....you live there, I think you would probably agree it's one of the most dangerous parts of NYC....but I also think it's an extremely interesting place and have always enjoyed the surreal scenery and beautiful beaches. Arverne, especially, is a real relic. The land that time forgot.....

I really liked this post in the "Good things about LI" thread, where the guy is talking about walking around Hempstead and blah blah blah. I totally agree with that....there is something to be said for going out and taking in a new area, something unfamiliar and different, just for the sake of doing it. I think it gives a little perspective, seeing things from street level. Long Islanders are very provincial by nature, although I'm not sure why, and I think that contributes to all the extreme doom & gloom when it comes to places that are a little out of the ordinary/rough around the edges. Personally, I wanna see everything....I'd go nuts staying in my one little town constantly.
Good honest answer....I guess I understand now....I'll be less critical...I think the people who are dissatisfied with living on LI should relocate to Westchester....lol.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island