Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New York: Long Island, education, law enforcement, teacher, pension systems.

View Poll Results: If it were up to you....would you trim back on Education or Law Enforcement?
Education 11 55.00%
Law Enforcement 9 45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 07:23 AM

29 posts, read 103,246 times

Advertisements

we need to stop letting teachers get masters + credits. That is a major taxpayer burden. I understand our teachers need to get paid, but I have friends that are in their late 20s making $90K+ because they have a masters + 90 credits, and the 90+ credits arent for a doctorate, they are bs credits!

Old 08-22-2008, 07:31 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Of course either the $85K or $125K cop would have done the job. The question is: if all he is making is $85K with benefits, is he going to be the same cream of the crop as the current higher pay rate applicants are?

He won't be able to afford a house on LI as a single guy, so will he even bother staying?

There are virtually NO single guys on LI who can afford houses!! Are you out of your mind? We have to subsidize the police so that they can own a home before they are married, where as almost no one else on LI can do this? I'm calling foul on you claiming to not have a bias.

Am I "jealous" or "envious" of their pay? Sure, but it's not like they are some high powered finance guy in NY who makes that money in the private sector. They are doing on the backs of taxpayers.

I don't go home and beat my highly compensated teacher wife over it, but I know it's messed up. They are earning more than they are justified in earning because of faulty government, and again, they know it, and so does everyone else, but you can't be surprised that they and people close to them will do anything possible to keep the gravy train rolling.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/22/ny...ops.html?fta=y

Old 08-22-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGIRL08 View Post
we need to stop letting teachers get masters + credits. That is a major taxpayer burden. I understand our teachers need to get paid, but I have friends that are in their late 20s making $90K+ because they have a masters + 90 credits, and the 90+ credits arent for a doctorate, they are bs credits!
I'm married to a teacher, and I agree with you.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:53 AM

155 posts, read 298,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
This is possible? A teacher can be in their late 20's making 90K?

Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
my husband is a teacher, and he agrees with me too! He is also a NYC teacher because he doesnt have a parent/uncle on the school board

and yes, its possible to be making almost $90K in 6 years teaching. They take all their + credits, plus they coach sports, do clubs, etc. another chat board I go to from time to time had a posting, and all the teachers posted how much they made and their salary step, and believe me I was shocked at the salaries!

why do you think its so hard to find a salary schedule? You can look up teacher salary schedules for almost every school district in the nation, except for LI.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post

I'm sure the poster is exaggerating, but the masters credit thing does boost salary.

-If they got a job right out of school (possible with a connection or if you teach math or science)
-and continued going to school (90 credits is 30 classes..thats 6 more full semesters of classwork..I guess it's possible )
-coached
-taught summer school

it's possible they could be making 90K. Most likely, their base salary is high 70's after 7 years or so and they pad it with home teaching and summer school. And that's maybe in a higher paid district.

I seriously doubt the poster has more than one friend, if any, who have pulled this off. I should not have justified that number with a broad response.

Overall, I'd say that the masters+ credit thing is a scam and bad for the tax payer.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:04 AM

Quote:
my husband is a teacher, and he agrees with me too! He is also a NYC teacher because he doesnt have a parent/uncle on the school board

and yes, its possible to be making almost $90K in 6 years teaching. They take all their + credits, plus they coach sports, do clubs, etc. another chat board I go to from time to time had a posting, and all the teachers posted how much they made and their salary step, and believe me I was shocked at the salaries!

why do you think its so hard to find a salary schedule? You can look up teacher salary schedules for almost every school district in the nation, except for LI.
Well, my wife didn't have one either, but got a job on LI after 4 years of looking. Not every teacher on LI has a connection. but, if you see someone just out of college getting a job..they probably do.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I have a voice View Post

I asked a friend, she is 30 and is in a "low paying" (according to her) district in nassau and is making $83K - masters + 75 credits.

eta: and these 75 credits are not her going back to school sitting in a classroom. they are online classes, Dellecave credits, etc. its not like she has another degree!

one of my husbands friends is also making high 80s, elite SD in western nassau - masters + 30, coaches a sport (only for the $).

believe me, I know more than 1 person pushing $90k and barely 30. its more commom than you think, and I reiterate, that is why the salary schedules are NOT posted!

Old 08-22-2008, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I asked a friend, she is 30 and is in a "low paying" (according to her) district in nassau and is making $83K - masters + 75 credits.
So you were exaggerating by 7K, and your friend coaches and does other things to increase her salary, that is not base.

All that we should ask if each other (and I'm a fool for expecting this on an anonymous forum) is that we are HONEST with each other about this cop and teacher salary stuff. When you say someone is in their late 20's making 90k, and it turns out she is 30 making 83K which is not her base salary, that's not..really...being..honest.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:11 AM

155 posts, read 298,445 times
Quote:

eta: and these 75 credits are not her going back to school sitting in a classroom. they are online classes, Dellecave credits, etc. its not like she has another degree!

one of my husbands friends is also making high 80s, elite SD in western nassau - masters + 30, coaches a sport (only for the $).

believe me, I know more than 1 person pushing $90k and barely 30. its more commom than you think, and I reiterate, that is why the salary schedules are NOT posted!
How many years has she been teaching? It's certainly not the same as a cop who doesn't have to go to school - just simply work for 7 years to make $117k plus get all the OT he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island