Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 02:12 PM

46 posts, read 259,199 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I thought I would go crazy if I had to wait until the last minute for my buyers to get ther mortgage commitment but now, they want a week extension!! I'm told by my lawyer and everyone else that's involved that this is common, but really, they've had 45 days! Is it too much to ask to do things on time? They said the bank was taken over by another bank but I can't help to think that they might be stalling for some other reason. I managed to get my commitment on the house I'm buying within 2 weeks so what takes so long!!!

Has anyone ever experienced something like this and am I wrong to worry about it???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 02:16 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
Yes, it is worrisome if they can't get their commitment within the stated time. How strong are they as borrowers? Are they making a substantial down payment?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:27 PM

Yes, they are putting 20% down which is why I wasn't so worried, just ancy. And then now with this extension, I'm beside myself. I even went on google to see if any banks were bought out in the past week or so but couldn't find anything.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:33 PM

20% down would make me more comfortable, too. But, these days you never know. I would find out what bank they are using and have your agent or lawyer call up the loan officer directly to find out what is going on.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:41 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
And people wonder why they should bother getting pre-APPROVED. This is a great illustration of why! Had they gone for a pre-APPROVAL, all the bank would have had to do was make sure the house appraised.

Putting only 20% down is considered 'strong' these days? *gag* I thought people were supposed to be learning from the current mortgage mess. Sorry but IMHO you're not a 'strong' buyer unless you're putting down 50% or more.

If putting only 20% down is considered 'strong', what the heck is considered 'average'? Five percent? Ten??

Oh well, I guess most people have a higher tolerance for debt than we do.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:44 PM

Pre-approvals are a great thing. I wish more people would get them.

20% down isn't the strongest (I would much rather see a suitcase full of cash), but it certainly is acceptable as it usually indicates that the person is financially disciplined and a good candidate for a loan. Of course there are many other factors that go into it.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:50 PM

198 posts, read 354,606 times
Perhaps the buyers are having problems getting the loan...bad credit history...not enough income to be able to float the loan. Banks have become very skittish to whom they lend money these days...especially home loans.

Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
And people wonder why they should bother getting pre-APPROVED. This is a great illustration of why! Had they gone for a pre-APPROVAL, all the bank would have had to do was make sure the house appraised.

Putting only 20% down is considered 'strong' these days? *gag* I thought people were supposed to be learning from the current mortgage mess. Sorry but IMHO you're not a 'strong' buyer unless you're putting down 50% or more.

If putting only 20% down is considered 'strong', what the heck is considered 'average'? Five percent? Ten??

Oh well, I guess most people have a higher tolerance for debt than we do.
When are you going to find a house already? lol....want to buy a house in Oyster Bay that I just listed? Please bring your suitcase full of cash! lol

Old 08-19-2008, 03:01 PM

This whole financial thing was the only thing I was worried about when I put my house on the market. Perhaps I should have demanded a pre-approval letter or at least a glimpse of the credit scores, but I thought 20% down and the knowledge that both husband and wife were in good professions were enough. In any case, their lawyer said that their bank was taken over so I have to assume he isn't lying, right?

Old 08-19-2008, 03:02 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Pre-approvals are a great thing. I wish more people would get them.
Tom and Gigi, why do you think most people don't get them? Seriously. Is it because the difference between being pre-qualified and pre-approved isn't explained to them? and if not, is it because most realtors don't realize those terms do mean different things? Is it because the buyers are reluctant to spend the $400 or so on the mortgage application fee before they absolutely have to? I mean really, they're going to be paying it anyway, whether it's to get pre-approved before find their house, or as soon as they go to contract on something. It doesn't cost any MORE to get pre-approved than to wait to apply until you have a house in hand! I can understand why looky-loo buyers wouldn't do it, but if someone is TRULY looking to buy a house (i.e. the "serious buyer") within the next 12 months.... why DON'T most buyers get one? Is there any reason for them not to? If so I can't think of any; can you? Being pre-approved is all upside, both for the buyer and the seller. No downside at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island