Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 01:18 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,108 times

Advertisements

Well said!

<To me the attitude & lifestyle choices of the majority of LIers(even the 'regular' people) make it crystal clear why the better part of the world hates americans. 'We' are greedy, self absorbed, gas guzzling, garbage creating, pigs.>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 11:14 AM

34 posts, read 204,968 times
I originally posted on this thread 2 years ago. My post is #161, 4-26-2008.

Let me just say that my wife and I finally relocated out of Long Island. We now live in Austin, Texas. It is the greatest thing we've ever done. We are happier, calmer and feel like we can just be ourselves. Living in a trendy, modern area like Austin makes me realize just how horrible Long Island had become. Down here, everyone is unique. In Long Island you're overrun by gangs of various ethnicities (the WORST being the latino gangs), the guido fake italian lifestyle that disgraces Italian culture, and in general people, especially teens, are just vicious and nasty.

You'll see in my original post some of the things we've experienced over the last few years, things that we hadn't ever really had to deal with when we were kids. Here's a list of more stuff that happened in the 2 years following up that post:

Keep in mind when I refer to "our decorations" or property, I am referring to my parents' house in Ronkonkoma. My wife and I were living in North Babylon before we moved from LI.

- Our Christmas decorations on our lawn were violently vandalized, yet again...twice.
- A basement meth lab explosion destroyed my best friend's childhood home in Ronkonkoma. He was very distraught to learn of the fate of his childhood home.
- There have been no less than 10 home invasions in my area, 2 in my actual neighborhood...1 resulted in a murder. My parents' house was cased by a large brown van which had been sighted in the area shortly before and after the home invasions but there have been no invasion attempts on their home.
- Gang violence, vandalism and thuggery have reached all areas of Ronkonkoma

North Babylon wasn't free of its horrors too...the gang activity that spilled over from Wyandanch started to get very, very bad in the past year.

So basically, my wife and I finally managed to get out of here. We had been discussing it long into the nights...leave our family and friends behind? Take our chances in a new area? I'm so glad we did. We miss our friends and family so much, but living down here has been such a great experience (except for those damn brown recluses and friggin' rattlesnakes). Austin is a wonderful city and its such an amazing place to be...all the attraction of a place like New York City without the overcluttering.

Oh, and a $750,000 home on LI is barely $200,000 down here...so wtf are you paying for in New York?

If you're a decent human being who is sick of the scum hole of Long Island, I hope that you find your way out someday.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
Ronkonkoma is not indicative of all of Long Island.

Austin is not really part of Texas.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Maybe not all of LI, but I think Ronkonkoma perfectly captures today's middle class essence of Suffolk county.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:56 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,412 times
Perhaps...but then again Suffolk County is nothing more than the poor cousin to Nassau County.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:16 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Maybe not all of LI, but I think Ronkonkoma perfectly captures today's middle class essence of Suffolk county.
IMHO There are areas on LI which capture the middle class essence of Suffolk County. Ronkonkoma is certainly not one of them. Holbrook, Holtsville, Lake Grove, Bohemia are a few areas in the Ronkonkoma vicinity which would better represent this essence you write of.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:23 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe82 View Post
I originally posted on this thread 2 years ago. My post is #161, 4-26-2008.

Let me just say that my wife and I finally relocated out of Long Island. We now live in Austin, Texas. It is the greatest thing we've ever done. We are happier, calmer and feel like we can just be ourselves. Living in a trendy, modern area like Austin makes me realize just how horrible Long Island had become. Down here, everyone is unique. In Long Island you're overrun by gangs of various ethnicities (the WORST being the latino gangs), the guido fake italian lifestyle that disgraces Italian culture, and in general people, especially teens, are just vicious and nasty.

You'll see in my original post some of the things we've experienced over the last few years, things that we hadn't ever really had to deal with when we were kids. Here's a list of more stuff that happened in the 2 years following up that post:

Keep in mind when I refer to "our decorations" or property, I am referring to my parents' house in Ronkonkoma. My wife and I were living in North Babylon before we moved from LI.

- Our Christmas decorations on our lawn were violently vandalized, yet again...twice.
- A basement meth lab explosion destroyed my best friend's childhood home in Ronkonkoma. He was very distraught to learn of the fate of his childhood home.
- There have been no less than 10 home invasions in my area, 2 in my actual neighborhood...1 resulted in a murder. My parents' house was cased by a large brown van which had been sighted in the area shortly before and after the home invasions but there have been no invasion attempts on their home.
- Gang violence, vandalism and thuggery have reached all areas of Ronkonkoma

North Babylon wasn't free of its horrors too...the gang activity that spilled over from Wyandanch started to get very, very bad in the past year.

So basically, my wife and I finally managed to get out of here. We had been discussing it long into the nights...leave our family and friends behind? Take our chances in a new area? I'm so glad we did. We miss our friends and family so much, but living down here has been such a great experience (except for those damn brown recluses and friggin' rattlesnakes). Austin is a wonderful city and its such an amazing place to be...all the attraction of a place like New York City without the overcluttering.

Oh, and a $750,000 home on LI is barely $200,000 down here...so wtf are you paying for in New York?

If you're a decent human being who is sick of the scum hole of Long Island, I hope that you find your way out someday.
Meth lab explosion in Ronkonkoma? Home invasions? Any links to actual news accounts? I think a house exploding in Ronkonkoma might have made Newsday.

Ronkonkoma has always been a bit working class..it's similar to Lindenhurst, West Babylon, Rocky Point, places like that. But meth labs and home invasions?

Old 10-26-2010, 12:33 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,021,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
IMHO There are areas on LI which capture the middle class essence of Suffolk County. Ronkonkoma is certainly not one of them. Holbrook, Holtsville, Lake Grove, Bohemia are a few areas in the Ronkonkoma vicinity which would better represent this essence you write of.
Being 6+ months removed from my last significant housing search there, I have to defer to you on specifics... However, there were quite a few similarities between Ronkonkoma and your list of towns even beyond the fact that most of them share the same schools. Bohemia being a key exception and my experience was you paid a premium for living in much of Bohemia. aka more overpriced then the other towns listed. Lake Grove was frankly a weird anomaly with the bulk of it dominated by the mall.

Old 10-26-2010, 12:47 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Being 6+ months removed from my last significant housing search there, I have to defer to you on specifics... However, there were quite a few similarities between Ronkonkoma and your list of towns even beyond the fact that most of them share the same schools. Bohemia being a key exception and my experience was you paid a premium for living in much of Bohemia. aka more overpriced then the other towns listed. Lake Grove was frankly a weird anomaly with the bulk of it dominated by the mall.
Agree with you, but I would say that Holbrook, Bohemia and Lake grove have more better areas compared to Ronkonkoma, but I would still put them in the same broad classification as "middle working class".

Old 10-26-2010, 01:32 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Meth lab explosion in Ronkonkoma? Home invasions? Any links to actual news accounts? I think a house exploding in Ronkonkoma might have made Newsday.

Ronkonkoma has always been a bit working class..it's similar to Lindenhurst, West Babylon, Rocky Point, places like that. But meth labs and home invasions?
Exactly what I was thinking.

You'd be much more likely to find meth labs in Texas than on Long Island ... even the "worst" parts of Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island