Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 PM

262 posts, read 1,229,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
To answer the question honestly...

It's really not as bad as people on the board are making it out to be. Many of them are bitter, and most with chips on their shoulders. Ignore them.

In the same breath they will tell you how expensive it is, and how overcrowded it is. Apparently, if it's overcrowded then it must not be too expensive. They make no sense.

If you're curious to really know what it's like then move back to Long Island; rent an apartment in an area you find suitable. After one year make your decision to stay or leave based on YOUR opinion.
I agree with you. One should ultimately form their own opinions. However, isn't one purpose of this forum to get others' point of view?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 10:55 PM

491 posts, read 822,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brahmos View Post
Joe L,

I agree with you on the Iranian Jews, because I had the unfortunate circumstance of meeting one from Great Neck. Never in my life did I want to rip someone's head off more than this fellow. Also being a non-jew, I was treated so horribly I will never forget. I got the whole "chosen people" spiel and more. I hate to say it, but I was a victim of racism
Yes you were no doubt about it, as a Christian its almost like being in Palestine or Isreal depending who you run into
I tell ya, the past couple years these Persian asshats and township bought “friends” have become just BRUTLE (Manhasset-Great Neck) I’m going to need REHAB before moving to the North Fork (Mattituck)

No joke, Had I not dis-commode’d I WOULD HAVE ripped somebody’s head off, no reservation about it. I totally understand what happened to you I get it every day!
As one described here about her neighbors being jerks because her husband didn’t make the $$ they did, vile pushy soccer moms comparing fur coats on miracle mile thats all 100% true.

Now with the new Persian Jews moving in doing shady stuff with the local town Politicians FORGEDABOIDIT!

-Joe

Old 02-01-2007, 11:18 PM

306 posts, read 1,614,387 times
Hey, how about taking individuals AS individuals?

If you want to strut your virtue, real-American credentials, whatever, isn't that the best way?

And the only real way to operate as your own human being?

We've all met walking stereotypes. But what about all the exceptions to the stereotypes?

And do *you* want to be stereotyped yourself?

Making wild overgeneralizations is the (dangerously) lazy way out, isn't it?

Old 02-02-2007, 05:41 AM

431 posts, read 2,120,889 times
Default Now i'm really home sick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Oh yeah, by the way...Nassau Hub is 77 acres of basically parking lots surrounding Nassau Coliseum. Now, I do not want LI to be like NYC, but some more, concentrated commericial development is the key to the future. Homeowners need to be able to lean on that.

I mean...does this look terrible...

http://www.lighthouseli.com/ (broken link)

Thanks for that link. It looks great! I had not heard about this. I went to school at Hofstra, right up the street from Nassau Coliseum. I guess i'll have to go and visit when this is completed. Still can't afford to buy a house in Long Island but who knows what the future holds.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 PM

33 posts, read 198,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
People fleeing Queens will do-will pay anything to get there kids out of the NYC School system. They get more desparate with each passing year. They will rent, live with relitives, in houseboats whatever it takes.
Its a huge real estate demand, the schools are being flooded.
Obviously this is an old post. I'm new to this forum, decided to scroll and read some old threads. When I read JOE L's post I was offended. I'm from Queens and NO I am not moving to LI because of the school system. The school where my children attend now is great. We wanted more property and it made sense to move to LI because you can't get that in Queens. The negative comments that ppl have complained about, "LI attitude" describes ppl like this who are unfortunately ignorant. I'm moving to the North Shore and I raise my children to respect and value their self worth. If more ppl took the time to do the same, there wouldn't be so many problems with "attitude"

Last edited by New2LI; 03-07-2007 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 PM

31 posts, read 162,480 times
TO; CHECK 123
"Yes, I am an Accountant. I have been for the past 20 years. I have no plans on becoming an astronaut, although I could go into financial services. (I also have an MBA in Finance)
The bit about the pizza was a joke. Perhaps you've had too much rum already. I'll donate your share of the bounty to charity." ..

SPEAKING OF CHARITY...MY HOPE IS THAT SOMEDAY.. SOME KIND SOULD WILL DONATE SOMETHING TO YOU;
A SENSE OF HUMOR . !! LIGHTEN UP, YOU TAKE YOURSELF WAY TO SERIOUSLY..

have a nice day. !

Last edited by nutmuffin; 03-13-2007 at 11:01 PM..

Old 03-21-2007, 12:40 PM

18 posts, read 96,013 times
Long Island has all of the problems you mention. But one you did not highlight is the polarization of Long Island into "Wealthy" and "Not Wealthy". This is the single greatest problem now facing Long Island. Greed not Need is driving Long Island to extinction.

The growth of weath in the upscale neighborhoods is skewing the price of everything and making it enormously difficult to have a ordinary "9 to 5", home with the kids middle class lifestyle. It is still possible but is growing much less possible daily.

Further Long Island has reached a saturation point in terms of population and development. It is very likely that over the next decade or two Long Island will have to develop more densely.

To minimize the impact of population growth on the water supply and to reduce tax burden on middle class families, single family homes will out of neccesity become multiple family dwellings. Single Family home development will be replaced by Condo and Co-op development so that water treatment can be done more economically.

The life you so fondly recall is disappearing rapidly.

Within 10 years, Nassau will look like Queens does today. Suffolk more like Nassau is today. The east end towns that still have land to develop will force middle class folks into more densely packed areas like Riverhead while the remainder of the east end will be left to "Upscale" types who want lots of open space for themselves and are willing to pay for it. If you have tons of money, no problem. If you're a typical family, lots of luck.

Job growth is lagging on Long Island. if you want the "big" bucks you have to truck it into NYC. Otherwise you'll likely be scrapping by for a long time to come.

The large numbers of people currently fleeing Long Island are testament to the downfall of our once great home.

God help us... if it is right that he do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
Ok here we are in Jan 2007. I moved away from Long Island over 10 years ago, back then it was a nice place to live in my opinion, but from reading these chat boards it sounds as if Long Island is a horrible place now.

I'm reading rising crime, Illegal Aliens, Traffic day & night, low paying salaries on LI, high taxes, low job growth,high utilty costs, expensive housing, and a corruption problem?

If thats all true why stay?

So is it really that bad? Has it changed so much?

Any info helps.

Thanks

Old 03-21-2007, 01:52 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by very private citizen View Post
Further Long Island has reached a saturation point in terms of population and development. It is very likely that over the next decade or two Long Island will have to develop more densely.

To minimize the impact of population growth on the water supply and to reduce tax burden on middle class families, single family homes will out of neccesity become multiple family dwellings. Single Family home development will be replaced by Condo and Co-op development so that water treatment can be done more economically.
It's not just that.

I would bet substantial money that, within the next 5 years, the price of gasoline will double.

People out here can't pretend it's 1960 any more. If they see what's coming, and plan intelligently, it might turn out halfway decent. Otherwise, look for Queens Pt II.

Old 03-21-2007, 02:38 PM

491 posts, read 822,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedalus View Post
People out here can't pretend it's 1960 any more. If they see what's coming, and plan intelligently, it might turn out halfway decent. Otherwise, look for Queens Pt II.
Thats EXACTLY what that asshat assemblyman Katz (D Queens) said, look at his work

Old 03-21-2007, 03:06 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post
Thats EXACTLY what that asshat assemblyman Katz (D Queens) said, look at his work
I might have said what he said, but I don't mean that.

That sure is an ugly SOB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island