Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 10:49 PM

4 posts, read 22,445 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering, I read that it costs $10 to get on the beach at Long Beach. That's fine with me, but I was wondering, do they close their beaches due to crowding? I was planning on taking the train from Manhattan, so i won't have to worry about parking. I only ask because I know they close the beaches at the jersey shore due to crowding(but this has always been when I was driving there, not sure if not driving makes a difference). Also, Long Beach is a clean and safe beach, right? From what I've researched it looks very nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:28 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach

For questions such as yours, you may want to contact the City Clerk of the City of Long Beach and/or the Long Beach Public Library:

City Clerk
City of Long Beach
1 West Chester Street (Room 307)
Long Beach, NY 11561

Tel: 516/431-1000 ext. 314
Fax: 516/???-????

eMail: info@longbeachny.org

The City of Long Beach, New York -- The City of Long Beach Official Website

Long Beach Public Library
111 West Park Avenue
Long Beach, NY 11561

Tel: 516/432-7201
Fax: 516/889-4641

eMail: lblibrary@yahoo.com

Long Beach Public Library

For those who may not be familiar with Long Beach:

Long Beach is a city (chartered in 1922) located on Long Beach Island in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the City of Long Beach is bordered on the north by Hewlett Bay and Reynolds Channel; on the east by the Hamlet of Lido Beach in the Town of Hempstead; on the south by the Atlantic Ocean; and, on the west by the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach in the Town of Hempstead.

The City of Long Beach has a different border than does the "Long Beach, NY 11561" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Long Beach, NY 11561" mailing address and not be in the City of Long Beach): places that have a "Long Beach, NY 1561" mailing address that are not in the City of Long Beach are in the Hamlet of East Atlantic Beach and the Hamlet of Lido Beach; both of these hamlets are in the Town of Hempstead.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
The beaches in LB are very nice, clean & safe. If you take the LIRR to LB you will have to walk about four blocks to the beach. The beach at Edwards Blvd can get crowded (weekends mostly) since it is directly down the street from the LIRR station. You may want to walk a block in either direction along the boardwalk and find a less crowded spot. I have never seen it so crowded that they would need to close the beach though. It is pretty wide from the boardwalk to the waterline.

The daily fee is $10 to access but if you plan on going more often through the season you may consider getting a pass next year. The plans & prices are described in the link below.

http://www.longbeachny.org/index.asp...sign=PrintView

Old 08-21-2008, 08:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
They do it to discourage nonresidents (particularly city people) from clogging the beach (which would happen since it's right on the train, while Jones Beach was deliberately designed to be hard to get to by public transportation), and IME, it works reasonably well. The beach is not empty by any means but it's not wall to wall like some places.

It's clean and safe (in terms of crime) BUT there can be riptides. Be careful and if the lifeguard blows his whistle, come in. I nearly drowned at Long Beach when I was 13 and it's made me very careful about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island