Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 07:08 AM

11 posts, read 22,917 times

Advertisements

I am from NJ and my fiance and I are planning on moving to Long Island in a few years to buy a house. Does anyone know if Long Island has an alternate route options for teachers? NJ has alternate route and pathways to teaching but I haven't been able to find any information on schools in LI that offer such a thing. In NJ it's a 2 year program where if you already have your Bachelors you can go back to school and get certified to teach. Currently I work in NYC but I've always wanted to teach so any help would be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 07:10 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I don't think so. Jobs are too in demand, so they don't need to offer incentives like NYC.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:49 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
No, you need a master's in education in NY with no alternate route.

Old 08-21-2008, 08:59 AM

11 posts, read 22,917 times
Thanks for clarifying.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:41 AM

123 posts, read 647,238 times
Check out this site. It should have the info you seek.

Certification

You may be able to put non-ed coursework toward your certification. Be warned, it's a tough market on LI for teachers. You need that resume to be as competitive as possible. Esp. if you want Elementary Ed.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
The state has alternate pathways, and the masters is no longer specified (it used to be a requirement for a permanent license but that no longer exists--all licenses need to be renewed). But LI schools can be picky and most districts won't hire without a masters.

If you want to get certified without going for your MAT, your best bet is to go through the city and then switch to working on LI once you're certified and have experience.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:05 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
The state has alternate pathways, and the masters is no longer specified (it used to be a requirement for a permanent license but that no longer exists--all licenses need to be renewed). But LI schools can be picky and most districts won't hire without a masters.

If you want to get certified without going for your MAT, your best bet is to go through the city and then switch to working on LI once you're certified and have experience.
You still need a obtain a masters degree within 5 years of teaching........even with renewal.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Even in the city.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 08-21-2008, 06:23 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,929,908 times
Uck, OK. They made the entire system a lot more complicated and set up a variety of pathways to getting your certificate--when I'd looked at becoming a teacher in college, it was a lot simpler. (Basically, pass your tests, get your masters.) When I went back to look at it recently, it appeared that they'd taken off the master's requirement and made it a lot woolier. The way the pathways are set up, it looks like you can get it without a masters now, but if you go down to "certificate progression" it does specify it. It's clear as mud, though, and makes it look like you can get a professional certificate without your masters. So, sorry, my bad.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:10 PM

48 posts, read 315,820 times
NYS has a website that explains the differnt routes to becoming certified - google new state dep of education - as for LI, while many LI will not hire w/out a Masters, some will, as it is less expensive because you earn less... call around and asks districts, each of them while having to follow the state have guidelines and there are many teacher shortage areas here on LI too - if you are certified, try and gain employment as a sub.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island