Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 09:07 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
My wife and I are from Long Island. We currently live in NC. We moved down here to be able to buy a home. I would of never left Long Island if I could of afforded to stay and would move back in a second if I could. There is a reason why Long Island is expensive as the services you get there are far better. Things are very backwards down here and "southern Hospitality" doesnt exist its more like southern hostility. Yes the winters are milder and there is hardly any snow but the summers are unbareable. I now understand why people work 2-3 jobs to stay in NY. Since a move back to Long Island is not possible unless we hit LOTTO, we are considering PA and DE so we are 2-3 hours away from family. I cant wait to get out of the south.
You must live in a part of NC I've missed thus far. We've been here for over a year and find something more to like about it almost every day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it sure would help if it was accompanied by something concrete to support it.

As for the original post I'm willing to bet that if people could afford to move back to Long Island a fair share would. However I'm certain that the spiraling costs will only accelerate for the foreseeable future forcing even more people to re-evaluate living there. After more than a year away it's that much more obvious that the price tag is not worth it, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:30 PM

14 posts, read 77,568 times
Thumbs down The south is not where it is at!!!

I recently left LI for ATL and wished I hadnt.....I have good reason to leave and now stay in Atl(for now anyway) but the adjustment is very hard and this so called "city" is no more of a city than Bayshore....I mean it has a touch of Hempstead (crime and overall feel) but try going to hempstead if you live in out in Medford with Midtown traffic during rush hour everytime you go there....but I mean I am young with no kids so me moving back is still very much possible. But only time will tell how long I can take the "dirty". Good Luck in whatever you do!!! But if you do move south please realize that alot of these "cities" are even slower than LI....not just NYC so you'd have to adjust to a slower pace of life

Old 08-26-2008, 05:04 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times
Default Not a bad idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman529 View Post
My wife and I are from Long Island. We currently live in NC. We moved down here to be able to buy a home. I would of never left Long Island if I could of afforded to stay and would move back in a second if I could. There is a reason why Long Island is expensive as the services you get there are far better. Things are very backwards down here and "southern Hospitality" doesnt exist its more like southern hostility. Yes the winters are milder and there is hardly any snow but the summers are unbareable. I now understand why people work 2-3 jobs to stay in NY. Since a move back to Long Island is not possible unless we hit LOTTO, we are considering PA and DE so we are 2-3 hours away from family. I cant wait to get out of the south.
I know a couple of people including my aunt that moved from NY to PA. I am thinking that if my financial situation does not improve dramatically in the next couple of years to allow me to afford Long Island or NYC area, that I may have to just try PA. At least I could drive to NY whenever I wanted to meet up with friends or family. Now I'm at the mercy of the airlines because I will not drive from GA to NY and back. That's too much of a headache for me. Plus I hate flying. I don't know why I went all the way down South to begin with when PA was right next door. I can deal with the boredom and slower pace for the most part, but gosh, once in a while I do like to be in a city environment and change it up a bit. Like if i could just visit NY once per month, that would be great. I miss the Northeast in general. The only reason why I left was because I wanted to buy a house and I could not afford to do so in Long Island. Now I have a house and I have to wonder if it was worth it.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:04 PM

48 posts, read 315,894 times
I have been down the road in evaluting staying on LI or leaving...I did extensive research and have relatives to moved to many areas cited here (PA and NC are just 2) - at this time we are staying here
I think some people have high expectations and are sometimes let down when they leave an area expecting another to be better ... the grass is not always greener .... I know many people, who have left and loved where they are or vice versa ... a lot is what u make of it ... even here on LI you can move from one town to another and they can be quite different ... the same goes for anywhere else ... i think everyone, no matter where you reside, is looking for a kind of utopia, there are good and bad no matter where you reside and you can only hope the good outweighs the bad as there is no perfect place

Old 08-26-2008, 01:11 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,993 times
We moved off LI almost 6 years ago to Cary, NC. I would NEVER move back to LI.

I left LI for a reason and if I eventually came to hate my new state, I would find somewhere else to live and LI would not be it.

I do visit family on LI once a year, which is plenty.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:39 PM

237 posts, read 855,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLATINQT View Post
I know a couple of people including my aunt that moved from NY to PA. I am thinking that if my financial situation does not improve dramatically in the next couple of years to allow me to afford Long Island or NYC area, that I may have to just try PA. At least I could drive to NY whenever I wanted to meet up with friends or family. Now I'm at the mercy of the airlines because I will not drive from GA to NY and back. That's too much of a headache for me. Plus I hate flying. I don't know why I went all the way down South to begin with when PA was right next door. I can deal with the boredom and slower pace for the most part, but gosh, once in a while I do like to be in a city environment and change it up a bit. Like if i could just visit NY once per month, that would be great. I miss the Northeast in general. The only reason why I left was because I wanted to buy a house and I could not afford to do so in Long Island. Now I have a house and I have to wonder if it was worth it.
I hear ya. We almost bought a house down here and something told us not too, could of had a 2500 sq ft house for 175K. It would be 600K on Long Island. People say that Charlotte is a bustling city with so much to do but not compared to where we are from. Also, its too hard to be away from family and i would like to be able to go back home at least every 2 months. We were just back earlier this moth but before that it was christmas. So we are looking in PA just west of Philly, so we will be 2 and a half to 3 hours from home. The houses will be a little more expensive but id pay more to be closer. We were originally looking out in Vagas and Arizona. thank god we didnt go there.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
You must live in a part of NC I've missed thus far. We've been here for over a year and find something more to like about it almost every day.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but it sure would help if it was accompanied by something concrete to support it.

As for the original post I'm willing to bet that if people could afford to move back to Long Island a fair share would. However I'm certain that the spiraling costs will only accelerate for the foreseeable future forcing even more people to re-evaluate living there. After more than a year away it's that much more obvious that the price tag is not worth it, in my opinion.
People are hostile in the way of being like... just another yankee down here or if you come up with an idea at work they dont want to hear anything about it, most people here are too stuck in their ways. Im in Charlotte right now and didnt think i would deal with this here as there are so many people from other places. Bur I am. Like you said we can all have our opinions and I know alot of people who the move has worked for, not us though. We originally looked in Cary and loved it there but the job opportunities came here.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Can you elaborate on the hostility you've encountered?
People are hostile in the way of Well its just another Yankee down here to tell us whats wrong with here when actually my wife and I had open minds to coming here. We did not think that people in Charlotte would be so intolerant to change. For instance at work if you bring up an idea that would help things run more efficiently then they dont want to hear it, to set in their ways and dont want to consider looking to make thing better.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:01 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
St. Louis is a wonderful town - don't worry.
Thank you- but St Louis is too Suburban for us we are looking into Il. We still need that LI eastern suffolk feeling.
DKVA

Old 08-26-2008, 05:06 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I distinctly recall being stuck on I-95 during the start of the Presidential Snow Storm in 2003. The road was treacherous and tons of snow came down. The road iced over and tractor trailers, cars and buses were sliding off the road.

This was in Virginia.

We managed to creep our way to Fredericksburg and get a hotel room for the night. The area was shutting down, people were freaking out. It was obvious that they didn't see much snow, let alone in the amounts which were falling.
I could imagine. When we first moved here 4 years ago-our first winter there was snow maybe a couple of inches-I was going to Costco 8 miles away there was at least 6 accidents on my home. Any snow mainly ice everthing shuts down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island