Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 AM

431 posts, read 2,125,607 times

Advertisements

I know that in the last few years many Long Islanders moved down South to places like North Carolina and Florida. I also know that many could not adjust and decided to move back to NY. If that is you, where did you go, how long were you there and what made you decide to come back? More importantly, now that you are back, do you feel you made the right decision? I think your answers will help alot of people, like myself, that are still contemplating on what would be the best move.
Please, let's try to keep it civil and not bash the state that you left. State the facts, as best you can, about the reason why you left. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2008, 08:52 AM

29 posts, read 84,371 times
Good question, i'm wondering the same thing. I'm planning on moving to Pennsylvania next year. Although I probably will miss my hometown and where I grew up, not enough to come back. Long Island changed, and in my opinion for the worst. I'm looking forward to move and I will of course, visit frequently.

Good luck on your decision, it is a big one!

Old 08-24-2008, 02:24 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
Just dont go south

Old 08-24-2008, 05:05 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,319,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Just dont go south
Sorry to disagree but-I never thought I would leave the Island after 48 years, but 4 years ago my husband was transferred to Va just outside of Richmond. Lower taxes,car insurance,housing cheaper. Ok Va Beach 2 1/2 hours away,outer banks 3 hours but no snow. I never thought I would say this but I would never move back to the Island. I do miss my family but the plane ride is less than 1 hour-driving is another issue though I always thought that the Island was nirvana the smell of salt air but for my husband who worked in NYC the commute was 2 1/2 hours 1 way in Va 10 minutes. I know we didn't have to live out there (Manorville) but we loved country living and the beaches.

Unfortunately we are now being relocated again-St Louis
DKVA

Old 08-24-2008, 05:10 PM

I cannot speak for VA, but I meant FL.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:45 PM

156 posts, read 710,989 times
As someone who has left long island, three years now, the only thing I miss is my family. Once a year doesn't cut it, but it was our decision to leave. However, it does make me feel better that I can live in paradise outside 12 months a year and my kids play outside every day, whereas on L.I. six to seven months it was movies, bowling, and tv for them. Can't say I would EVER move back..sorry!

Old 08-24-2008, 07:56 PM

246 posts, read 1,018,849 times
I left LI in 1983 for FL and never looked back. My family moved back here and DH's is there. Only been back once to visit and it didn't look very good.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
I cannot speak for VA, but I meant FL.
Momix5, What experiences have you had with Florida?

So far, it seems most people are better off having left Long Island. Nobody wants to go back. Hhmm...I'd like to get more responses. This is interesting.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmy3grls View Post
As someone who has left long island, three years now, the only thing I miss is my family. Once a year doesn't cut it, but it was our decision to leave. However, it does make me feel better that I can live in paradise outside 12 months a year and my kids play outside every day, whereas on L.I. six to seven months it was movies, bowling, and tv for them. Can't say I would EVER move back..sorry!
Lvmy3grls, where is paradise? city/state?

Old 08-25-2008, 04:53 AM

Honestly my schools here in Fl are better, however I do not like the whole right to work thing and I do not care for the healthcare. I would not go back to LI I may try upstate NY or Pa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island