Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Island: election, president, Obama, taxes, real estate.

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 06:29 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann View Post
Fopt65.

Those are bad apples, I'm referring to bad oranges.

Jayson Blair "plagiarized;" he didn't use his position to carry out political smear campaigns based on lies, the way Fox News does.

Big difference.
Oh maybe you mean a smear like this to carry out political gains.
NYT: Edwards Scandal Not Our Style, Unproven McCain Affair Is | NewsBusters.org

ALL forms of media have some bias built into them. The old gray lady, the NYTimes has had its fair share over the years as well.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM

45 posts, read 134,320 times
OK, you'd prefer to get into semantics. The problem with the McCain article,(which I read) wasn't that there were any blatant lies contained in it, but that The Times did not reveal their anonymous sources. Ninety Nine percent of that article was pure from factual standpoint. The information pertaining to McCain's lobbyist ties and his role in the Keating 5 corruption scandal were totally accurate.(if you read it, you'd know that's what 99 percent of that multi-page article was about)

They made a serious accusation pertaining to his personal life without revealing their source. That was a journalistic no-no; one that The Times should be assailed for. It's far from the concerted effort Fox News has made on a daily basis for years to exploit race, and to smear and distort facts surrounding those who they are not aligned with ideologically.

I could go on you tube and provide links to one hundred blatant Sean Hannity/O'reilly/other Fox News talking heads lies right now, or I could watch thier shows tonight, but I doubt that would change anybody's mind.

Last edited by Seann; 08-27-2008 at 07:08 PM..

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 PM

889 posts, read 2,406,748 times
Setting The Record Straight about McCain & Obama

http://www.republicmagazine.com/maga...-Magazine8.pdf

Old 08-27-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seann View Post
OK, you'd prefer to get into semantics. The problem with the McCain article,(which I read) wasn't that there were any blatant lies contained in it, but that The Times did not reveal their anonymous sources. Ninety Nine percent of that article was pure from factual standpoint. The information pertaining to McCain's lobbyist ties and his role in the Keating 5 corruption scandal were totally accurate.(if you read it, you'd know that's what 99 percent of that multi-page article was about)

They made a serious accusation pertaining to his personal life without revealing their source. That was a journalistic no-no; one that The Times should be assailed for. It's far from the concerted effort Fox News has made for years to exploit race, to smear and distort facts surrounding those who they are not aligned with ideologically.

I could go on you tube and provide links to one hundred blatant Sean Hannity/O'reilly/other Fox News talking heads lies right now, or I could watch thier shows tonight, but I doubt that would change anybody's mind.
All I'm saying is they ALL have agendas. Times goes left; Post goes right. MSNBC and Olbermann have their agenda, and Fox/O'Reilly have their thing going; on radio Air America swings one way, Rush the other way. Its all a game. Everyone has their own schtick. I listen/read 'em all and they all distort things to suit their purpose, particularly the editorials/commentaries.
If you want a more neutral view, check out the BBC America

Old 08-27-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
All I'm saying is they ALL have agendas. Times goes left; Post goes right. MSNBC and Olbermann have their agenda, and Fox/O'Reilly have their thing going; on radio Air America swings one way, Rush the other way. Its all a game. Everyone has their own schtick. I listen/read 'em all and they all distort things to suit their purpose, particularly the editorials/commentaries.
If you want a more neutral view, check out the BBC America
But that's fine.

I would define that has having an ideological slant....totally appropriate. The line is crossed when facts are deliberately distorted to promote your agenda.

Take the Wall Street Journal, they have been right leaning for many years, yet they are respected in many liberal and independent circles. They don't resort to the lowest denominators(race/smears,etc) to promote their agenda.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:02 PM

So when Olbermann smears McCain by deliberately lying that Mccain supported Bush 95% of the time of his Presidency when the truth is the 95% value is true only during 1 calendar year its just as heinous as if Fox or any other newsorganization did it.

Personally, I think they all lie and distort. Fox may have started it and might be the most egregous of them, but they all do it now. Especially in politics when the "news shows" have their talking heads debating things so fast and furiously that no one can interrupt them or correct them with the facts.

Old 08-27-2008, 08:16 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
So when Olbermann smears McCain by deliberately lying that Mccain supported Bush 95% of the time of his Presidency when the truth is the 95% value is true only during 1 calendar year its just as heinous as if Fox or any other newsorganization did it.

Personally, I think they all lie and distort. Fox may have started it and might be the most egregous of them, but they all do it now. Especially in politics when the "news shows" have their talking heads debating things so fast and furiously that no one can interrupt them or correct them with the facts.
You might want to take a closer look at McCain's voting record....

Old 08-27-2008, 08:22 PM

You're back to semantics. The 95 percent argument is a direct response to the false notion that he's a Maverick, something that Fox promotes. Whether that voting record is within one calender year or not, it's pretty damning. It's disingenuous to compare that to what goes on at Fox.

McCain caved on Bush's tax cuts after he opposed them. He caved on Bush's torture bill after claiming that he won't support torture after what happened to him in Nam. He was against Bush's wireless wiretapping, now he's for it. He was for gay marriage, now he's against it, and that's just scratching the surface of his cave-ins; I could go on. He holds up ancillary and superficial issues like his stance on Global Warming & campaign finance to perpetuate his maverick image. Those are secondary issues that wont hurt him politically, that's why he hasn't caved.

McCain has voted in line with the Bush administration 90 PERCENT of the time during Bush's 7 1/2 years in office, it's hardly a lie.

This is getting old.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:51 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Thread is closed.. to discuss the Presidential election go to the 2008 Presidential Election forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island