Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:00 AM

30 posts, read 153,810 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anyhting about inground pools? Buying a house that has an inground pool that hasn't been covered or maintained for a year. Only use it has gotten this summer is from the turtle swimming around back there. It your average 20X43 vinyl liner inground pool. Can you totally drain the pool then clean it with the walls caving in? Also, I can't tell what condition the liner is in. Anyone know how much a new liner cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
When was it built. Old pools had wooden wall and or supports. How is the surrounding areas of the pool. Is the water in it level to the top edge of the pool?

Old 08-26-2008, 09:13 AM

Pool was built about 8 years ago. Looks to be steel and the surrounding area looks stable. The water level is almost to the top, maybe a foot or two low.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:48 AM

270 posts, read 969,409 times
If it's only been a year of neglect, it probably just needs treatment of the water. The liner should be fine unless it really got some physical abuse in that time.

Assuming the pump/filtration/plumbing system is intact and in good order, you'll probably just need to bring the water back to level, clean out the debris, shock the water, then balance the ph/alkalinity as needed, then maintain the chlorine once ph and alkalinity is in balance.

If thats the situation you're dealing with, you can do it yourself, or hire a pool service for a one time service. If you're new at pool-owning, it might be worth it to get a service contract now and have them clean/close the pool for the season, open it again next season, and provide weekly chemical balancing/cleaning through the year. After you see them do the cleaning-balancing/closing/opening work involved, you should be able to pick it up yourself if it's something you're willing to deal with.

If the liner is shot, it will probably cost you around 1500 for a new one, not counting installation.

Unfortunately, as with lots of things that involve service, prices on service and pool supplies vary from one place to another and based on your particular pool/equipment - so its best to find a place you're comfortable with and have them give you a more concrete estimate.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:25 PM

Thank you for your replies. I appreciate the help.

Old 08-26-2008, 03:16 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Have the media changed in the filter too.....good luck!

Old 03-08-2014, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 3,317 times
We bought the house and the pool is inground with a liner that is worn. We noticed when we closed the pool last season that we need a new liner but also some of the parts of the walls seem "spongy". I know that we are going to have to repair these walls when we repair the liner. Is this a rough job or can a couple do it yourselfers handle the job?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:44 PM

61 posts, read 178,539 times
I'm not familiar with liners so I apologize to the previous poster but to parker style I had a similar situation with a gunite pool not being used. I was told to rent a trash pump and power washer from home depot and pump all the water out and power wash it. Getting rid of all the water will help you or a pool company access the liner and start off with fresh water. I've seen my neighbor try to shock the crap out of their murky pool they didn't close and it took awhile and gave him problems all summer. I buy supplies and island rec and their support department always answers questions honestly there and warned me about my pool, the valve on the bottom that looked like a drain and anything else. Best of luck!

Old 03-12-2014, 02:32 PM

163 posts, read 245,936 times
A new liner is probably a few thousand dollars. Generally last about 10-15 years and could take about a month to order and deliver. DO NOT drain a liner pool. The weight of the water keeps the liner in place. I would shock it, flock it, then vaccuum it to waste. It will take a bit of work to get the water back in shape, but once you get back to that point, simple regular maintenance will keep it in decent shape for quite awhile. The key is to keep the water balanced - bad water chemistry can significantly shorten the liner life.

Old 03-12-2014, 02:34 PM

163 posts, read 245,936 times
spongy could mean the liner is leaking and water is getting trapped behind the liner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island