Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 43,919 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what the consensus is around here for tipping the mailman, garbage men, etc. I personally think the whole tipping phenomenon is out of control these days. I can see tipping a waitress who earns less than minimum wage, but not someone who is paid a decent salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 02:22 PM

491 posts, read 828,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasia76 View Post
Just wondering what the consensus is around here for tipping the mailman, garbage men, etc. I personally think the whole tipping phenomenon is out of control these days. I can see tipping a waitress who earns less than minimum wage, but not someone who is paid a decent salary.
Yes $20 ea Mailman and the garbage men, I do my own landscaping, lawn and car repairs.
I have some garbage men on salary for computers, Sony TVs and classic old radios and TV's. It helps pay the taxes and heating oil.

I have a full size Atari Asteroids, $6 horizontal output transistor to fix.
ALWAY Greaze !

Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
I seem to have a different mail man every day. So, there is no tip because I am not sure who would end up with it.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
yes, that's the same with me. I tip the Newsday carrier, though.

Old 12-19-2007, 04:40 PM

652 posts, read 2,265,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastasia76 View Post
totally agree...maybe if you live in the city and have a doorman that does all kind of extra things for you but tipping someone that simply does their job...does what they're paid to do seems ludicrous to feel obligated to tip.

We all "know" waiters and waitresses count on tips and get paid accordingly.
Certain people I can understand tipping. Taxi drivers too. How come we don't tip bus drivers too?

Check this one out....we get a note in our mailbox from the garbage men saying they wondered if their tip was stolen and not to leave it taped to the garbage cans. Are they nuts or sumpin'?? Was it stolen? Nooooooo...it wasn't stolen...I never left a tip. I'm struggling as it is looking for work things are so slow for me in my renovations business about now especially with the housing market the way it is.
Seems to me they get paid pretty well..they also get full bennies and paid holidays.
Some people have a steel set if you ask me!

Old 12-19-2007, 04:53 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Well, are we talking tips or holiday gifts? I don't tip people who are gainfully employed but that doesn't mean I don't think of those who are providing a service during Christmas. I believe in Christmas and other holidays and in the spirit of giving. My trash men always get boxes of home made cookies or fudge - and I will sit at the street waiting for them to make sure they get them. I don't bake for just anyone, just for the people I know

Old 12-19-2007, 09:09 PM

85 posts, read 433,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybuildz View Post
totally agree...maybe if you live in the city and have a doorman that does all kind of extra things for you but tipping someone that simply does their job...does what they're paid to do seems ludicrous to feel obligated to tip.

We all "know" waiters and waitresses count on tips and get paid accordingly.
Certain people I can understand tipping. Taxi drivers too. How come we don't tip bus drivers too?

Check this one out....we get a note in our mailbox from the garbage men saying they wondered if their tip was stolen and not to leave it taped to the garbage cans. Are they nuts or sumpin'?? Was it stolen? Nooooooo...it wasn't stolen...I never left a tip. I'm struggling as it is looking for work things are so slow for me in my renovations business about now especially with the housing market the way it is.
Seems to me they get paid pretty well..they also get full bennies and paid holidays.
Some people have a steel set if you ask me!
that's pretty ballsy to leave a note like that. i think a tip during the holidays is an optional gesture to show gratitude and should not be expected. that's just plain rude to leave a note like that!

Old 12-19-2007, 10:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
I have heard of other stories similar in Suffolk. A guy I worked with was doing some work to his house and had alot of extra stuff at the curb for collection. He left out a styrofoam cooler with a case of Buds for them (it was summer). These guys dumped out the cooler on his lawn and wouldn't take the extra garbage. One of the neighbors overheard them complain something about "no money... well at least it should have been Heineken!" That is ballsy.

BTW, I left a small holiday cake for my mail carrier this year and a card saying thanks. Since I was civil service it was drilled in my head about it being a no-no to accept gratuities. I guess I always felt funny about leaving cash for the mailman, garbageman ect. I certainly never expected it.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:18 AM

706 posts, read 3,763,931 times
$20 tip to my regular garbage men (coffee's on me today)

and

$20 to my regular mailman.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Check this one out....we get a note in our mailbox from the garbage men saying they wondered if their tip was stolen and not to leave it taped to the garbage cans
The exact same thing happened to me, andy !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island