U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2008, 09:03 AM

4 posts, read 9,160 times

Advertisements

Maybe I've missed this, but I haven't seen posts asking for advice on areas to purchase a home for couples that have no kids. My husband and I are mid-40's/mid-30's and do not plan on having kids - so school districts do not concern us. We do have 2 active dogs, though. If we do relocate, work will be in the Plainview/Melville area. We would prefer not to pay more than $450K for a home which I know will limit the areas we can live and which will probably result in a much longer commute than we currently have - which is currently 20 minutes. From what I can gather from the postings, Suffolk county is preferable in terms of pricing.

We are not bar-crawlers, though we do like to go out to dinner about once a week, but nothing really fancy. We prefer to take long walks with the dogs and to go bike riding and like living in a quiet area.

Your insight will be much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 09:52 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,320,794 times
How large of a piece of property do you have in mind? Would 1/4 acre be enough? Or would 1/3 acre be your minimum (I'm thinking you might want a backyard big enough for your Vizslas to spend a lot of time in)? I don't know much about the breed but they are Russian Wolfhounds, are they not? Large long-legged dogs that need "room to run"?

450K may be a challenge unless you're okay with small house on a small lot, or a larger one that needs work. Bethpage is closest to Plainview but that's in Nassau and I don't know about the prices there. What's your maximum in terms of property taxes? On Long Island that is a big factor as well as price.

Maybe Farmingdale if the section of Melville you're working in is south of the Expressway? Parts of Farmingdale are in Nassau and parts in Suffolk, I believe.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:15 AM

I'd like to have at least 1/3 acre. Vizslas are not as big as Russian Wolfhounds; they're closer in size and energy to German shorthaired pointers. I don't mind commuting in order to get the land we need and from what I gather from other posts, we should be looking further east. As for property taxes, since a good school district is not a concern I was hoping that we could find an area where taxes would be lower. I've seen taxes for $400K homes in the $6K - $9K range and would prefer to stay on the lower end.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:20 AM

Actually, I should clarify. While I would "like" to have 1/3 acre, I know that 1/4 acre is probably more realistic and I could live with that.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,320,794 times
Would you be okay with a 45 or 50 minute average commute? Because if so, I would suggest looking on MLSLI.com with the search criteria of 'Hauppauge School District' which encompasses parts of both Hauppauge and Smithtown. With access to the Expressway and/or Northern Parkway, these would put you within striking distance of Plainview and Melville. Although you don't care about the school district per se, the taxes there are within your range because the commercial office park in Hauppauge carries a lion's share of the taxes. The lot sizes range from 1/4 to 1/2 acre depending on the particular neighborhood. But for 450K you will be seeing houses than need at least some updating. Was something like this what you have in mind? Asking price 449K, taxes $5434 without the STAR deduction which averages from $600-$800 depending on whether it's Smithtown or Islip township. MLSLI.com - Find a Home

Old 09-01-2008, 09:58 PM

1,900 posts, read 6,670,175 times
I know exactly the place for you. The Town of Huntington is VERY dog friendly. There are many dog parks, and many dog owners. Considering SD isn't an issue to you, you have a much wider choice to choose from b/c the Huntington SD is considered so-so, which often means homes sell for less. Anywhere in the TOH would be a great commute for you as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huntington,_New_York
http://town.huntington.ny.us/

Welcome to the LI-Dog Web Site (Working for Dog Parks in Nassau County and Suffolk County on Long Island) is a great organization, based out of Suffolk, where dog owners can meet and share common interests.

Huntington village is loaded with restaurants, shops, etc. I love to take my dogs on a stroll there. Northport Village is also dog friendly. Coindre hall is a great place to take your dogs, overlooking the water as well. You will meet many dog owners there and your dogs will love it.

You do have to be careful, there are some iffy areas in the TOH so you would have to do a lot of research. But you really should do ok with that budget, just have to learn alot about the areas. You can come on here and ask specific questions for some guidance if you do choose to move to the TOH.

I really think it's your best bet!

Last edited by Glad2BHere; 09-01-2008 at 10:12 PM..

Old 10-12-2008, 07:31 AM

Sorry for the delay in responding. I appreciate all the feedback - thank you!! I'm in LI now looking at the areas you suggested.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,105,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizslamom View Post
Sorry for the delay in responding. I appreciate all the feedback - thank you!! I'm in LI now looking at the areas you suggested.
You picked a great week...perfect early fall weather! Enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island