Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 09:41 AM

217 posts, read 961,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen NY View Post
Your way out of order. Realize "financially strong" enough mean making 160k + a year to afford a 1400 sq ft home on a 40X100 lot. This means at this salary you can afford your mortgage and nothing else. Add car payments, vacations, music lessons for the kids, you have to kill your self just to survive in an over crowded environment that offers so little in means of recreation. I moved upstate and have two houses, one on the finger lakes, a boat, a huge beautiful house in beautiful nieghborhood. I never sit in traffic. I spend my weekends snowmobiling, skiing and going to local events. In the summer I fish, canoe, boat and relax. I never experienced any of those things on Long Island. NOT ONE including relaxing. I worked 60 hours a week, commuted 15 hours a week and often worked a second job so I can take my family to disney and upstate once a year.
I am not out of order, you fall into one of these categories of people who moved off Long Island due to costs and lifestyle reasons, nothing wrong with that. Salaries are tough to live on in Long Island, a business owner, doctor or lawyer to name a few can withstand the escalating costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2007, 11:47 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
You want to move to Henderson, Nevada for real?

Is Long Island so bad that people are moving to a nondescript subdivision in the desert?

Yeah, it's better there than here. The people I know who moved from Long Island love it out there.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:53 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
But gimme a break. I would never move to a place just because it has low taxes. I much prefer to pay lots of taxes and enjoy the capital of the world than living in redneck land.

No entertainment, no shops, no delis, no museums, no skyscrapers, nothing in walking distance. What is to do? Huntin' n' fishin'? Ouch.

No offense to you but you are the type (who looks down their nose at hunting and fishing) that I'm trying to get away from. I only wish others like you would stay put. Unfortunately, people seem to move someplace because it's cheap (or the weather is good) and then become a bunch of kvetching whiners when they discover later that they are ill-suited to their new location and its culture...and yes, the south does have culture. It's just not your culture.

Old 02-04-2007, 01:56 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
BBQ and square dancing is not on the list.

Old 02-04-2007, 02:11 PM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Check123 View Post
BBQ and square dancing is not on the list.
Do you know how much square dancing and barbecue eating can be done in the time it takes you to find a parking spot when you aren't urinating in some alley?

Oh wait a minute, we've both been watching too much TV, haven't we?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:26 PM

480 posts, read 2,828,792 times
I take mass transit.

And of course, most urination in alleys is the by-product of homeless people, and tourists. The difference between the two groups is negligable.

Last edited by Check123; 02-04-2007 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-04-2007, 02:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,147,867 times
Smile Long Islanders Moving Elsewhere

I heard the Carolinas mentioned as a popular relocation spot. Would any of you mind expounding on that? I live in Charlotte, NC and have clients moving from the northeast. I'm just curious to know what atributes are attractive. Is weather a factor? Or is it taxes?

Old 02-04-2007, 02:52 PM

265 posts, read 1,548,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
No offense to you but you are the type (who looks down their nose at hunting and fishing) that I'm trying to get away from. I only wish others like you would stay put. Unfortunately, people seem to move someplace because it's cheap (or the weather is good) and then become a bunch of kvetching whiners when they discover later that they are ill-suited to their new location and its culture...
I, for one, don't "look down my nose" at hunting, fishing, or any other aspect of a rural lifestyle. I realize that as wonderful as those things may be for someone else, they simply aren't my cup of tea. (Well, alright, I admit I have a philosophical objection to hunting but that's just my personal opinion.) I know that if I were to move to a rural area, I'd go stark raving mad in less than a month, no matter how magnificent the natural surroundings were.

You are 100% correct that many people relocate for financial and/or weather reasons without doing the necessary research and soul-searching to determine well ahead of time if the new locale will suit them. I've got no sympathy for such people either! Once they find out they've made a mistake, there should be only two alternatives: (a) move elsewhere if that's at all possible, or if it's not possible (either now or in the forseeable future) then (b) stay put and stop whining. Unfortunately some people will place blame for their decisions EVERYWHERE except where it rightfully belongs: on their own shoulders.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:39 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
Laura, you've got no idea. Furthermore, and as far as I know, you don't live in Manhattan, so what are you talking about "getting away from" my type of person? You're obviously not my neighbor.

Check123 has it right. We take mass transit, don't have cars, don't spend time looking for parking because we don't go to malls and the urination in the streets is indeed product of either the homeless or non-New Yorkers visiting and littering our beautiful town.

I'm not moving from Manhattan, Laura, EVER. So don't worry. I will "stay put". I think you got the wrong person to pick a fight with.

Last but not least, I don't "look down at huntin' n' fishin'". I look down at the people who move from a civilized place with life and activities to a place with nothing but farms and Confederate flags just because it's cheap.

Anyway. This is silly.

Old 02-04-2007, 03:48 PM

500 posts, read 2,859,221 times
Reading the Tennessee forum, you can feel the Southern hospitality offered by Laurac and similar members.

Their point of view seems to be, "if you're not a good old Southerner like us, get the f**k out of our land and back to New England".

That's one of the things I love about New York City: you're welcome to live in our great city no matter where you're from and what your attitude is.

That's also one of the reasons why I would NEVER live down South. Can you imagine having a neighbor who hates you and talks with the fury and hatred exhibited in that Tennessee forum?

Ouch. I love New York!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island